• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

Jimmy Howard Not Getting Rest Any Time Soon

Rate this topic

Well, for many years, people here were hoping that Howard could become that hot young goalie that stands on his head, like everyone else seems to have.

I guess we now got our wish and don't have to rely on free agency to bring in old goalies like a Hasek or Cujo in the past.

Yeah, this is bad for Ozzie, but it had to happen eventually. We weren't going to wait until Howard was closing in on 30, before making him a starter. I think Babcock realizes that.

"A lot of teams lately"? You mean Carolina, because they suck too much to actually get quality scoring chances. And of course it's unheard of a team crashing the net! If only we had a goalie that was so good that the other team just took weak shots and then skated back to their own zone because they knew going to the net is pointless.

:lol: that cracked me up. but i feel like it's mindfly's attitude to see everything that the opposition does as some evil genius plan and everything that we do as bumbling tomfoolery.

Not to discredit either side of the goalie debate, as both sides have put forward some tremendous arguments but it truly is amazing that LGW has a goalie debate when they have a goalie who is top 5 in GAA and save % league wide. I think the most interesting stat, however, is the fact that since the end of October, all the Wings losses with Jimmy in net our offense has scored one or fewer goals, with one single exception.

i do think that last stat is interesting. and i think there's another layer to that, too. not only would jimmy have to have been perfect or better than perfect to win all but one of those games, i think it says something about how the team was playing in general. sure, you can have a really tight defensive game and just be snakebitten in the offensive zone...but most of the losses i've watched this year, bad offense and bad defense have gone hand in hand. just thinking about the islanders game...sure, you could argue that we would have to have scored 7 goals to win that game the way our goalies were playing, but, especially jimmy's goals, i felt were more the result of s***ty team play or bad plays by individuals on the team. our passing was awful that night. we could generate no rushes, could not win battles, and could not contain the puck. the islanders were having their way with us all the way around.

so the fact that we scored zero goals is also a big part of the reason why we has six scored against: s***ty team play. if you look at the san jose game, it was a good effort by the goalie, but the wings also played great as a team for the last two periods (and not all that bad even in the 0-1 first period). the fact that we scored four goals is a big part of the reason why we only had one against: good team play. it's silly to hang it all on the goalie, and while you can tell when a goalie is giving up bad goals, everyone knows that GAA is much more of a team stat than a goalie stat, and it's not like jimmy's losing 5-4 romps where the team is playing well but he keeps on giving up bad goals. when he loses, it is usually because the team is playing like s*** from front to back.

This team can't afford to play Ozzie right now he's too much of a risk. We are giving up more shots against since who knows and Ozzie probably can't handle that on a consistent basis. Like last nite we were out shot 38 to 35. Ozzie is known for giving up 2-3 goals on 20 shots guys not knocking him but... lol.

We are battling for a playoff spot as well Ozzie is gonna have to deal with it and im sure he already has.

Too much of a risk ?

How would you know ? He hasn't played in a month now...

When Osgood played in NY, it showed the reason why he's not and isn't going to be playing- the rust is already set in due to not playing. To me, he looked out of place for the first 5-10 minutes. Practices aren't games unfortunately.

It would take at least two games to get Osgood going again and Babcock doesn't have two games to flush down the toilet as long as Howard's playing well.

When Osgood played in NY, it showed the reason why he's not and isn't going to be playing- the rust is already set in due to not playing. To me, he looked out of place for the first 5-10 minutes. Practices aren't games unfortunately.

It would take at least two games to get Osgood going again and Babcock doesn't have two games to flush down the toilet as long as Howard's playing well.

While I wouldn't put it in so brash of terms, this is 100% accurate. Right now 1 point out of 8th seed is NOT the time to be gambling. Ozzie is a hero, but at this time I am going with the Babs. "What have you done for me lately?"

He came in for Howard against the Islanders, and looked absolutely pathetic. Howard has been the far superior goaltender. And not just by a little bit.

Of course he looked pathetic. For the same reason Howard looked pathetic... just a horrible (defensive) game.

Besides that, you really want to judge a goaltender on his first game in more than 3 weeks where he comes in cold ? really ?

Too much of a risk ?

How would you know ? He hasn't played in a month now...

I think the reason he hasn't played, is because Jimmy is the better goalie. If he wasn't a risk, he would be splitting time...

I love it.

"Osgood is too much of a risk to put in" is an ok statement yet it's perfectly fine to say:

"Datsyuk/Franzen/Filppula is playing poorly because they just came back from injury/illness"

What was going on when Howard first started getting the majority workload?

HELLLOOOOOOOOO?

I hate haters.

Lots of pressure on Jim Bernard(spelling?) the goaliecoach to make him achieve better rebound control, the sooner the better, alot of teams lately just fire the puck from just inside the blueline and crash the net for rebounds, the defense can only clear so many pucks before it ends it the back of your net...

What the hell are you talking about? The guy has the 2nd best save percentage in the league among goalies that played more than 20 games and you are bitching about his rebound control?

I'm ok if he plays exactly the same way he has been without changing anything.

How can you take every good thing that happens and have a negative opinion about it.

This team can't afford to play Ozzie right now he's too much of a risk. We are giving up more shots against since who knows and Ozzie probably can't handle that on a consistent basis. Like last nite we were out shot 38 to 35. Ozzie is known for giving up 2-3 goals on 20 shots guys not knocking him but... lol.

We are battling for a playoff spot as well Ozzie is gonna have to deal with it and im sure he already has.

2 goals on 20 shots translates into a .900 save percentage.

3 goals on 20 shots translates into a .850 save percentage.

This year he has a .897 save percentage and last year he was at .887 so it's an exaggeration to say that he gives up 3 goals on 20 shots. 2 is actually pretty accurate for the last 2 regular season.

BUT the last 2 years in the playoffs he had .926 and .930 and that is what really matters.

While I wouldn't put it in so brash of terms, this is 100% accurate. Right now 1 point out of 8th seed is NOT the time to be gambling. Ozzie is a hero, but at this time I am going with the Babs. "What have you done for me lately?"

Oh I'm not trying to rip him, he was playing ok-ish at one point this season. This whole thing is much more about Jimmy Howard going from a virtual nobody to Calder trophy talk than it is about Osgood.

Guest mindfly
2 goals on 20 shots translates into a .900 save percentage.

3 goals on 20 shots translates into a .850 save percentage.

This year he has a .897 save percentage and last year he was at .887 so it's an exaggeration to say that he gives up 3 goals on 20 shots. 2 is actually pretty accurate for the last 2 regular season.

BUT the last 2 years in the playoffs he had .926 and .930 and that is what really matters.

Cause I know a goalie with bad rebound control will never be a "franchise goaltender" or become successful when it matters, in the playoffs that is...

He came in for Howard against the Islanders, and looked absolutely pathetic. Howard has been the far superior goaltender. And not just by a little bit.

You are using the Islanders game as a measuring stick? Everyone looked pathetic that night. Ozzie came in cold, playing for the first time in almost a month.

What did you expect?

Guest mindfly
Wings were "too injured" in San Jose too.

Yeah but obviously it's too much to ask for an effort like that every game......... <_<

Yeah but obviously it's too much to ask for an effort like that every game......... <_<

True. They better be pissed and show up against a division rival that shut them out in the previous two meetings.

You are using the Islanders game as a measuring stick? Everyone looked pathetic that night. Ozzie came in cold, playing for the first time in almost a month.

What did you expect?

I didn't expect a damn thing. Even if Ozzie started from the beginning in that game I wouldn't have expected much. His reflex speed is pathetic. And his five-hole is mammoth. The only reason I mentioned the Isle game is cause the other poster had stated that Osgood hasn't seen any time in net for a long time. I was correcting him. Cold or not, Osgood has been way below mediocre. Especially in comparison to Jimmy Howard.

I didn't expect a damn thing. Even if Ozzie started from the beginning in that game I wouldn't have expected much. His reflex speed is pathetic. And his five-hole is mammoth. The only reason I mentioned the Isle game is cause the other poster had stated that Osgood hasn't seen any time in net for a long time. I was correcting him. Cold or not, Osgood has been way below mediocre. Especially in comparison to Jimmy Howard.

My Osgood hate-o-meter is rising.

I wonder why.

I'm guessing it's because you label everyone that criticizes Osgood as a hater.

I don't label you a hater now do I?

That same poster has been on Osgood's ass since last year. I think it is safe to say he is a "hater".

Especially posters who use such ridiculous adjectives as "mammoth" and "pathetic" to describe a goaltender's play. Would it make sense for me to label Howard's rebound control as pathetic? No, because that isn't the case and it isn't the case with Osgood either.