• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nev

Osgood v Babcock round 2

Rate this topic

Guest Howard He Do It?!
While Osgood didn't steal a victory, pinning this loss on him would be pretty absurd as well.

I agree with this and I believe that most on here would. I think most people are just upset that Ozzie let that second goal in. Just another one of those 5-hole goals that we seem to be seeing with some regularity.

While Osgood didn't steal a victory, pinning this loss on him would be pretty absurd as well.

Partially true, I blame Stuart and Lebda, who completely unraveled on their checks. But the fact remains, Osgood let 2 goals in, in quick succession. If Osgood is hung out to dry by the D, the puck goes in. Howard on the other hand makes the key saves.

Osgood hasn't had a great game all season, and when given the chance to redeem himself, he blows it.

Really? Tonight he was playing like crap?

For f***s sake, this game was similar to Howard's against Chicago when it cames to the goals he let in.

.870 Sv% isn't up to par for an NHL goalie. He got bailed out a ridiculous number of times tonight.

I'm not blaming him for the loss, but he wasn't playing well, and that's a fact.

Osgood had my trust until he started letting in weak goals.

We're not in a position where we can afford to let Ozzie play like crap to try and find himself; we need points.

Howard will obviously get the vast majority of starts until he s***s the bed.

That's on Babcock. Don't play Ozzie for the first time in a month against the highest scoring team in the league on the road.

It's not like Howard got the Wings wins this weekend against Dallas or Chicago.

Guest Howard He Do It?!
That's on Babcock. Don't play Ozzie for the first time in a month against the highest scoring team in the league on the road.

Howard didn't have the benefit of the team playing well in the Dallas game and the refs didn't help any. The Wings played great against Chi and against the Caps but still found a way to lose.

They definitely did not look like the highest scoring team tonight. They looked average and Ovie never had a shot. Don't blame Babcock. Ozzie was not bombarded with shots.

Howard didn't have the benefit of the team playing well in the Dallas game and the refs didn't help any. The Wings played great against Chi and against the Caps but still found a way to lose.

They still lost all three games, whatever the spin needs to be.

I am not trying to blame this on Howard. I am more upset with Babcock's timing to finally getting Ozzie back in. Why not at home against awful Carolina or in Dallas against a team he has played well against in his career? I find it hard to believe Jimmy suddenly needed rest after 12 consecutive starts and tonight was Babcock's ideal scenario to start Ozzie.

You can't expect a goalie who hasn't played in exactly a month to not be rusty on the road against the highest scoring team in the league. If nothing else, Babcock should go back to Ozzie on Thursday because what the hell is the purpose of one start? Hardly an opportunity to prove anything or get timing back. Babcock is a terrific coach, but he has handled the goaltending situation this season very poorly.

Edited by GoWings1905

They definitely did not look like the highest scoring team tonight. They looked average and Ovie never had a shot. Don't blame Babcock. Ozzie was not bombarded with shots.

They still are the highest scoring team regardless of what happened tonight. I do blame Babcock for choosing this game to give Ozzie a start. The outcome of the game wasn't going to influence my opinion on the matter.

Edited by GoWings1905

Right now, for all intents and purposes, Osgood is the back up. Howard is the starter. No 1a, 1b. Babcock has made that pretty clear, and I agree with him.

Howard has started the last 12(?) games including a b2b a few days ago. He probably needed a rest.

I love the guy, but it sounds like Ozzie needs to put his ego aside and be a team player.

Edit: grammerr

Edited by Statts

They still are the highest scoring team regardless of what happened tonight. I do blame Babcock for choosing this game to give Ozzie a start. The outcome of the game wasn't going to influence my opinion on the matter.

You continue to use "highest scoring team in the league" in your posts. Not just the one I'm replying to but to the previous one as well. They may be that on paper but they were not anything of the sort tonight. Ozzie had an awesome opportunity to pull out his best stuff tonight while not being peppered. He didn't play bad but he will have to be better if he wants more starts. It may have been poor judgment in your opinion to have his first start in a month come against the Cap's but they didn't play like the Cap's and Ozzie didn't take advantage of it. They may as well have been Carolina.

Ozzie is a pro he should be able to handle whoever he has to play against.

Edited by zettie85

You continue to use "highest scoring team in the league" in your posts. Not just the one I'm replying to but to the previous one as well. They may be that on paper but they were not anything of the sort tonight. Ozzie had an awesome opportunity to pull out his best stuff tonight while not being peppered. He didn't play bad but he will have to be better if he wants more starts. It may have been poor judgment in your opinion to have his first start in a month come against the Cap's but they didn't play like the Cap's and Ozzie didn't take advantage of it. They may as well have been Carolina.

That isn't the point he is trying to make.

It has to do with Babcock's poor judgment regarding the goaltending.

How could Ozzie have his best stuff after not playing for a month? Do people really expect him to be on top of his game immediately? That isn't fair to any player. I agree with you -- Ozzie can play better, but he can't do that by sitting on the bench for another month. Washington didn't play well tonight (credit to the Red Wings), but the fact Ozzie was even in net for this game is puzzling. They aren't Carolina, especially on home ice. Howard let in three goals to the second highest goal scoring team, so why would it make sense to throw a rusty goaltender out there against an even better offensive team? It's relevant because it doesn't make sense. Start Ozzie in Dallas or Minnesota, but his chance comes against the Capitals? Babcock messed up badly here.

Edited by GoWings1905

That isn't the point he is trying to make.

It has to do with Babcock's poor judgment regarding the goaltending.

I understand what he is trying to say but Ozzie should be able to play whoever they need. He is a professional goaltender, Stanley Cup champ.

It's not like he isn't in game shape to step up and play when needed. That is what back ups do. In this case though Ozzie was given a chance to prove himself against an elite team and couldn't do it while they played average hockey.

I refuse to feel bad for Ozzie because he isn't getting the playing time he wants.

It's my opinion that Bab's didn't do it to make him look bad but did it so he could prove himself against a top team.

How could Ozzie have his best stuff after not playing for a month? Do people really expect him to be on top of his game immediately? That isn't fair to any player. I agree with you -- Ozzie can play better, but he can't do that by sitting on the bench for another month. Washington didn't play well tonight (credit to the Red Wings), but the fact Ozzie was even in net for this game is puzzling. They aren't Carolina, especially on home ice. Howard let in three goals to the second highest goal scoring team, so why would it make sense to throw a rusty goaltender out there against an even better offensive team? It's relevant because it doesn't make sense. Start Ozzie in Dallas or Minnesota, but his chance comes against the Capitals? Babcock messed up badly here.

Because it makes more sense to throw in a rusty Osgood against two teams we are fighting for a playoff spot.

At what point do we get to stop saying that Ozzy needs to turn it on? I mean either he has it or he doesn't. He never made any big saves tonight (from what I saw, I didn't watch every part of the game unfortunately) and two of the goals against us were soft goals, especially the GWG. Ozzy is great in the playoffs, I don't think anyone is contesting that...but for the past two years he has been subpar in the regular season and now he has a goalie that is actually challenging him for his job and he still isn't showing anything in the opportunities he has. This lies on no one other than Osgood. It was unfortunate that he had to play the highest scoring offense in the league but as a team we played a great game and limited them to 20 shots. This team has looked awful in front of Howard more than a few times and he stole the game for them. During the regular season, I never find myself thinking "Wow, Osgood might steal this game for us" and that's a problem this year with Howard behind him.

Because it makes more sense to throw in a rusty Osgood against two teams we are fighting for a playoff spot.

Points are valuable regardless of opponent; the proof being Howard started both games against the Islanders and Hurricanes from the Eastern Conference.

Ozzie plays well against Dallas and it was a back-to-back situation. That makes more sense to me than tonight does.

Edited by GoWings1905

Points are valuable regardless of opponent; the proof being Howard started both games against the Islanders and Hurricanes from the Eastern Conference.

Ozzie plays well against Dallas and it was a back-to-back situation. That makes more sense to me than tonight does.

No. Losing to the Stars or Wild would be worse because they are in our conference. Fighting for the same playoff spot the Wings are. More important than the Caps, who are in the east.

Edited by Statts

And Here. We. Go.

Chris Osgood not quite good enough for Wings

Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

Washington, D.C. -- If coach Mike Babcock was trying to light a fire under Chris Osgood, if he was trying sharpen his focus, stimulate him or in some kind of way challenge him, starting him against the most potent offense in the league would probably do the trick.

"Yeah, that's quite a coincidence," Osgood said. "Or maybe not."

Osgood, who hadn't started a game in goal for the Red Wings since Dec. 20 and had played just 31 minutes in the last 12 games, gave up three goals on 23 shots in a 3-2 loss to the Capitals on Tuesday.

Advertisement

Not a bad performance, but to Babcock -- not good enough. Babcock said afterward that Jimmy Howard would start on Thursday at Minnesota.

"I haven't played in a month," Osgood said. "I think if I had played a little more -- I mean those were good goals -- but I still think I could have stopped them if I was in more of a groove. You take what you can get, I guess."

Osgood was told that part of Babcock's reasoning for starting Howard again Thursday was that the team needs points.

"I've gotten him a lot of points, you can write that," Osgood said. "I got him to the Stanley Cup Finals the last two years, you can write that, too."

Osgood, who has been supportive of Howard, has been frustrated with Babcock riding one goalie for long stretches.

"At the start of the year, Howie didn't play for a month and now I haven't played for a month," Osgood said. "To me, that's not a good way of doing things, to let one guy get stagnant. You've got to have both guys going, especially with the amount of games we're going to have."

Osgood's point is this: With the schedule being as condensed as it is -- the Wings will have played 21 games from Jan. 1 to the Olympic break and then 15 more in the month of March -- it would behoove the team to have two goalies fresh and ready.

"It's frustrating not to play for that length of time," he said. "I would have liked to play prior to (Tuesday's game)."

Osgood said he felt no pressure to reclaim his spot as the Wings' No. 1 goalie.

Though Howard has played well for the last month or more, Osgood fully expects to be the Wings' goalie down the stretch and in the playoffs.

"When I've played, I've played good," he said. "I hadn't played in 12 games. That's not my decision. I can't do anything about that. I don't even think too much about that stuff any more. I practice hard and I play when I play.

"Do I want to be sitting out for 12 games? No. That's way too long. But I am not worried. I will be ready for the playoffs."

Read more: http://detnews.com/article/20100120/SPORTS...s#ixzz0d8FvImwr

Edited by wings7

Everyone here defending Ozzie is full of baloney.

The guy prides himself on always being mentally ready with the uncanny ability to step it when he's called upon (playoffs or not)... now that he's called in to play the Caps he whines. Whatever, guys. He's a professional athlete. He has at least a decade more experience than Howard in net. He also believes he should be the starter. Suck it up, make the saves, and start acting like a starting/experienced goaltender.

Edited by The Nephilim