• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

The Official Is Val Filppula Overpaid Poll

Rate this topic

Is Fil Overpaid?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Your argument is not logical; otherwise, paying Ovechkin was a terrible move on the part of the Caps.

WTF are you talking about? OV scored 52 goals in his first season in the NHL, of course they had to pay him.

I said no based on two factors:

1. His current play. Since Val returned from his injury only Datsyuk has scored more points among Red Wings forwards. If Filppula could stretch this level of play (~0.7ppg) out over a full season he'd put 57pts up. 57pts is just fine for a 3 million dollar player. Clearly I'm being generous by not accounting for the games before his injury but that generosity comes in to play because of reason #2.

2. He's young and still finding his way. Last season he was overpaid, no question, had he been healthy his play this season likely would've been good enough for his payscale. The wager you make with contracts like the one Val signed is that by the end of his contract you're getting a bargain and the average price you paid accross the contract is smaller than the player's average level of play warrants.

Why is Tyler Bozak even on that list?? He's played 11 NHL games TOTAL! Filp has played 264 regular season games. I'm all for comparisons, but at least use someone comparable. :rolleyes:

And for the record, I voted "No" on Filppula being overpaid.

id say that hes a bit overpaid because id say bertuzzi and clears produce at least as much or more than he does, or at least fit in the team better and they make less. but hes not much overpaid, id like that number a bit bellow what it is.

I don't agree - neither of these guys are nearly as effective in all 3 zones - though admittedly they pot a few more goals.

Of course he is overpaid

Gee, a Swede trashing a Finn, what a surprise :P

Maybe for the kind of discounts we're used to Red Wings taking, Filppula is overpaid. But when you compare him to players with similar contracts league-wide, I'd have a very, very tough time calling him overpaid.

WTF are you talking about? OV scored 52 goals in his first season in the NHL, of course they had to pay him.

Yes, more than three times the money Filppula has made.

By points alone, he's lived up to his contract (compare his points per million dollars to Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Ovie, etc).

He's also an extremely valuable role player on defense though, providing needed defensive depth to anchor the second or third line, depending on where Zetterberg is playing.

He may never be a first line player, but he's not making $6M a year like Datsyuk is, either.

theres a huge difference between the past and the future: One has been done, while the other might be done. see the difference?

$3 million for a very defensively sound center who has 60-70 point potential isn't a bad contract. End of story.

$3 million for a very defensively sound center who has 60-70 point potential isn't a bad contract. End of story.

This. Right now, he is at least a 50 point second line center who is excellent defensively. He very well may grow into a player who will probably peak at upwards of 70 for maybe a season or two, but put up 60ish points consistently.

I love Flip and my answer was no...I think of Sammy being let go and the year he's having now (but Ive always hated Sammy)...I couldn't imagine seeing Flip traded playing with Nash on his wing and getting 75+ points a season! Let's keep him around.

However I still want to see either Flip~Dats or Flip~Z or Flip~Dats~Z (in that order)

Edited by 13dangledangle

lol, Fins stuffing the ballot box!

I don't know how popular he is in Finland though. No way he's as popular in Finland as Lidstrom/Zetterberg for Sweden.

Who is the most popular Finnish player to the country of Finland? Is it Salami? One of the Jokinens perhaps?

I don't know how popular he is in Finland though. No way he's as popular in Finland as Lidstrom/Zetterberg for Sweden.

Who is the most popular Finnish player to the country of Finland? Is it Salami? One of the Jokinens perhaps?

Pretty sure it's Teemu. Then Saku. I think. I think Val's down a good way on the list.

I find it funny to argue Filppula's overpayment when our bona-fide star players have disappointed so far. So far this season, Filppula has outproduced everyone except Datsyuk and Zetterberg offensively (points/game) and provided solid defensive play which we all know is typical of him. This team has some real problems and Filppula is not one of them.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

You might want to pull out the riot shield before the Swedes attack you....seems to be a recurring theme in this thread haha

Helm/Filppula/Kronwall (before the injury) appear to be the only Red Wings players that are improving their game. For awhile I thought Filppula was a bit overpaid and wanted to see him delt for a guy with more scoring ability, but I think he's such a solid 2-way player that he's worth his contract.