• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Paul MacLean's Mustache

Kovalchuk traded to New Jersey

Rate this topic

Guest Lidstromboli

if the hawks get kovalchuk, they'll be right up there with the penguins as one of the best teams of all time

I've been hearing the Kings come up a lot

They'll have to give up a lot to do it. If I'm them you try to get him to a contract first, if that's even possible. You trade away young talent and then lose him in the summer your big steps forward end up being a huge step backwards.

Guest Lidstromboli

mckenzie said it will probably be one of Boston, New Jersey, Rangers, Philadelphia, Calgary, Chicago or LA

I heard mumblings about this, too. I've also seen the Devils tossed around as possible candidates.

If the Hawks land Kovy it will take a monumental effort on their part not to win the Cup.

I don't understand it, either. One look at their roster says that. While landing Kovalchuk would be huge for them, it would, however, further the case that they're putting it all on this year.

If they get Kovy they'd be hands on favorites to win this year, if they're not already in most people's minds, so I fail to see how signing Kovy would hurt them. They're going to lose people anyways, this is their best chance.

And the Penguins aren't even close to being the best team all time. They have two marquee players (Crosby and Malkin) and a decent goalie, but not an all-time great (and never will be). In '08 they were the same, only with Hossa. The Wings teams of recent memory put up much better rosters, and even those aren't considered the best all time.

My guess is Chicago or Boston but as we know teams can jump into this thing. The one bad thing about this most likely happening in the next week is that the deadline is gonna suck.

I was thinking the same thing when Boston put out Ryders name so early, if he and Kovie go what other big/semi big names are there(Ryder is semi big name)

Speaking of Chicago and the show they put on last off-season regarding signings...Has the League ever issued an official decision on the validity / shadiness of the Hossa contract?

I've been wondering this for a while, but I haven't heard anything since the initial incident where the NHL said they would be investigating. My guess is that no matter what they found, we wont be hearing anything further about it.

I really don't think the Hawks will get Kovi, they don't need him and there are other teams that do. If Tallon was still in office, he'd probably do anything possible to try to get Kovi, but I think Bowman is smart enough to know that his team is good enough as it is without the need to give up depth and future.

I've been wondering this for a while, but I haven't heard anything since the initial incident where the NHL said they would be investigating. My guess is that no matter what they found, we wont be hearing anything further about it.

I know the League was looking into both the Hossa and Pronger contracts.

Who's running the mail room in Chicago these days?

Journal-Constitution sports columnist Jeff Schultz, also a former Thrashers beat writer, reports Kovalchuk wanted the maximum salary allowed under the collective bargaining agreement -- 20 percent of Atlanta's payroll or $11.3 million. The captain also sought a deal in the 10-to-12 year range.

This is what I've said all along when people thought the Wings could sign him. It better be a team with a LOT of cap space, or willing to clear a lot of cap space. Oh, and Atlanta is gonna SUCK.

Seems like a greedy *****. Good player, but more than Ovechkin and Crosby, Malkin, Lidstrom? I hate sports agents, wish I had one ;)

Or that you were one, do you know his cut on a deal like that!

What is standard 17%? Something like that I think.

I'm liking that Kings rumor as far as that being realistic. Sounds like the kind of marquee player they need, they have the space, getting rid of Frolov will be a plus, and Johnson is in the doghouse.

As a die-hard Kovalchuk, and Thrashers fan. This is absolutely devastating. Not to mention moronic for both camps.

How Kovalchuk and Atlanta could let this happen to each other is beyond me. This is truly sad. I feel even worse for the fans of them who actually live around there and attend their games (I'm a Wings fan first and foremost).

Sad, sad news.