• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Paul MacLean's Mustache

Kovalchuk traded to New Jersey

Rate this topic

I've been wondering this for a while, but I haven't heard anything since the initial incident where the NHL said they would be investigating. My guess is that no matter what they found, we wont be hearing anything further about it.

I really don't think the Hawks will get Kovi, they don't need him and there are other teams that do. If Tallon was still in office, he'd probably do anything possible to try to get Kovi, but I think Bowman is smart enough to know that his team is good enough as it is without the need to give up depth and future.

They have to get rid of a few players come next season because of their cap issue might as well make it worth it. Im sure they can give up a few players and hold onto their picks, hell maybe even get a pick off ATL.

Maybe he'll go down in salary to play for a better team.. if not, he's stupid.

I think Boston or maybe New Jersey will get him. I just hope he stays out of the West.

Greedy not stupid IMO. He knows he can take less but doesn't want to according to all the rumors. Someone will pay him big bucks I think the question now becomes, will it be an NHL team or a KHL team?

I guarantee you he already knows what the KHL offer will be. Some one told his grandmother's hairdresser who happened to let it slip to Nana that the KHL Whoevers will give him a gazillion. After that Nana had to call he grandson.

All kidding aside I am pretty sure he has a very accurate idea of his value in the KHL.

Greedy not stupid IMO. He knows he can take less but doesn't want to according to all the rumors. Someone will pay him big bucks I think the question now becomes, will it be an NHL team or a KHL team?

When Kovalchuk was a RFA, he signed with Atlanta having been promised that the team would make a serious effort to build a playoff contender. And look what happened. He'd be not just stupid, he'd be a total moron to fall for this line again. In his shoes, the only way I'd stay in Atlanta is for max salary. There's clearly nothing else there to look forward to, competitivness-wise.

I was thinking that, even as I typed it out. The difference being that the tandem of Hossa and Kovalchuk will, obviously, become the greatest 1-2 punch in the history of hockey, racking up 147 points during the Hawks' 16-0 playoff run.

Brian Campbell will be a -41.

best. post. ever. hahaha :flush:

I want Kovalchuk in a wings jersey next year. It's doable. I don't care who gets him, I just want him to hit free agency, and then whatever happens happens. I just want Holland to be able to make an offer if he chooses to. I'm glad to hear that the teams interested aren't being permitted to talk contract. That tells me he's hitting UFA unless he goes somewhere he ends up really liking. I hope Chicago gets him. Depletes the team and has no chance to resign, guaranteed available this summer. Bring on a stacked Hawks team in the playoffs. I'll take our chances. And who's to say we even meet. Probably but not guaranteed.

Kind of off topic, kind of not. If Lilja is back, we need to make some room. Here's my plan. Demote Abdelgator and May. Trade off Williams and Leino. Aquire Afinogenov. It's leaves us $5,000 under the cap. 23 man roster (8 D). We don't get better, we don't get worse. But we are cap complient. Having Afinogenov will help for this year and possibly next.

He can help sell Detroit to Kovalchuk. If Kovi comes to Detroit, sign his buddy Afinogenov. For next year, it's apparent to me that the 6 mill going to Rafalski should be reinvested. We'll have a number 1 offensive defenseman in Lidstrom and a #2 offensive dman in Kronwall. The only reason he's not now is depth. We need a high end crease clearer to compliment not another #2 offensive dman.

This is what it looks like....

Kovalchuk (6.8) Datsyuk (6.7) Afinogenov (2)

Franzen (4) Zetterberg (6.1) Bertuzzi (2)

Cleary (2.8) Filppula (3) Abdelkader (.8)

Draper (1.6) Helm (.9) Eaves (.8)

Miller (.8)

Lidstrom (3.5) Volchenkov (4)

Kronwall (3) Stuart (3.7)

Lilja (1) Ericsson (.9)

Kindl (.9)

Howard (.7)

Osgood (1.4)

For next year, it's apparent to me that the 6 mill going to Rafalski should be reinvested. We'll have a number 1 offensive defenseman in Lidstrom and a #2 offensive dman in Kronwall. The only reason he's not now is depth. We need a high end crease clearer to compliment not another #2 offensive dman.

This has been stated elsewhere, but just in case you didn't see it. Rafalski is signed through 2012 and has a NTC.

So "reinvesting" that cash is a little hard. Also, I don't think there's any way Lidstrom is taking $3.5.

ON TOPIC:

via Bob McKenzie's Twitter:

Teams in mix for Kovalchuk include: Boston, New Jersey, Rangers, Philadelphia, Calgary, Chicago and L.A. Some more. Some less. Auction time. about 4 hours ago from web

Calgary Flames NOT in the mix for Kovalchuk. about 2 hours ago from web

Edited by e_prime

sportsnet says Chicago and LA out

Just saw that too. With LA and Chicago they said it had to do with how "imminent" the deal supposed is, and that's why they're "out"

Also mentioned Rangers said, "close only counts in horseshoes and hand-grenades."

Also speculated that Atlanta is just trying to drum up some talk and increase the fervor around Kovalchuk.

This has been stated elsewhere, but just in case you didn't see it. Rafalski is signed through 2012 and has a NTC.

So "reinvesting" that cash is a little hard. Also, I don't think there's any way Lidstrom is taking $3.5.

ON TOPIC:

via Bob McKenzie's Twitter:

Teams in mix for Kovalchuk include: Boston, New Jersey, Rangers, Philadelphia, Calgary, Chicago and L.A. Some more. Some less. Auction time. about 4 hours ago from web

Calgary Flames NOT in the mix for Kovalchuk. about 2 hours ago from web

Oh yeah... I'm familiar with our players contracts.... Just makes it harder and more uncomfortable, that's all. But not trying to derail the thread with contract numbers, just throwing out my thoughts.

This will be interesting to see where he lands. Kovalchuk aside, I wonder what it would cost to get Max if he ends up not going in the Kovi deal.....

Edited by Leadzedder

So this trade will most likely happen before the freeze right?

It looks like it. They don't want him getting hurt before they can trade him. I bet he's gone before their next game, which is Friday.

I'm not a Chicago fan but I don't get all this talk about Chicago being a one and done kind of team. Toews, Keith, Kane and Hossa all locked up.....fill in with a bunch of 2nd rate cast members (aka...like Detroit has done) and you have a cup contender.

I'm not a Chicago fan but I don't get all this talk about Chicago being a one and done kind of team. Toews, Keith, Kane and Hossa all locked up.....fill in with a bunch of 2nd rate cast members (aka...like Detroit has done) and you have a cup contender.

Agreed. All the one and done talk is wishful thinking from the fans of the 29 other teams. Chicago's going to be good for a long time.

Agreed. All the one and done talk is wishful thinking from the fans of the 29 other teams. Chicago's going to be good for a long time.

ROSTER SIZE 15

SALARY CAP $56,800,000

PAYROLL $60,681,335

BONUSES $0

CAP SPACE $-3,881,335

They are almost 4 million over next year and need 7 more players, I dont see how they will be good for a long time without moving someone not named Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook.

theres no doubt they have a solid core, but when you look at the cost of that core, you're left with VERY little for the rest of the lineup.

Kane- 6 mil

Toews- 6 mil

Hossa- 5 mil

Keith- 5 mil

Campbell-7 mil

huet- 5 mil

thats 36 Million dollars invested in ONE line and a goalie, that leaves 20 mil for the rest. I still think they'll be a solid team for years but this is the year that they are a real powerhouse.

theres no doubt they have a solid core, but when you look at the cost of that core, you're left with VERY little for the rest of the lineup.

Kane- 6 mil

Toews- 6 mil

Hossa- 5 mil

Keith- 5 mil

Campbell-7 mil

huet- 5 mil

thats 36 Million dollars invested in ONE line and a goalie, that leaves 20 mil for the rest. I still think they'll be a solid team for years but this is the year that they are a real powerhouse.

That's pretty much where we're at, minus the goalie.

Datsyuk- 6.7m

Zetterberg- 6m

Franzen- 4m

Lidstrom- 7.45m

Rafalski- 6m

People are referring to Chicago as "one and done" because this is likely the best roster they will have for at least several years, so if they can't get it done this year it will be even harder in the future. They will still be good for some time to come, but unlikely that they will have this much talent at their disposal.

That 6 mil not invested in a goalie is sort of a big deal. Also, lids won't be making 7.45 million next year.

yea i thought about including that little caveat in my post but i didnt feel like typing anymore