• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:38 PM

We have a lot of older veteran leaders on the team, but let's face it, those players have never been in this position of having to battle for a playoff spot this late in the year.

It shows too. The team doesn't seem to know how to play a full 60 minute game and how to prepare themselves for this situation properly. We always rave about the leadership when we win in past seasons, but it's fair now to question these leaders when we're losing. They can't motivate themselves or the team to show up all the time, because usually they're coasting at this time of year, just getting ready for the playoffs.

It seems to me like they have no clue how to handle this pressure and this particular situation, and the idea that every game is much like a playoff game.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 09 March 2010 - 09:48 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#2 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:40 PM

There is nothing the leadership can do if the rest of the team is unwilling to listen. Something needs to change.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#3 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:41 PM

Even though lidstrom has the C i doubt it his fault...I'm getting more frustrated about the likes of Zetterberg, Bertuzzi, Cleary, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart... all veteran players but they suck so hard

Or maybe the players are just fed up with the brutal coaching staff.. Especially McCrimmon and Babcock.. all Maclean does is keeping track on icetime and matchups.

#4 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:41 PM

Kyle Quincy.

#5 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:42 PM

But damn. Such a big deal was made when they came from behind in the playoffs. When they got the Colorado monkey off their backs. All the different types of "adversity" they overcame. This is just frustrating to me.

#6 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,029 posts

In their defense, when was the last time the wings were in this position? How many players on the wings even know what it's like to battle for the eighth spot?

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#7 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,673 posts

We have a lot of older veteran leaders on the team, but let's face it, those players have never been in this position of having to battle for a playoff spot this late in the year.

It shows too. The team doesn't seem to know how to play a full 60 minute game and how to prepare themselves for this situation properly. We always rave about the leadership when we win in past seasons, but it's fair now to question these leaders when we're losing. They can't motivate themselves or the team to show up all the time, because usually they're coasting at this time of year, just getting ready for the playoffs.

It seems to me like they have no clue how to handle this pressure and this particular situation.

Thats their problem. They are professional athletes getting paid millions to play a sport on a wordwide level. If the reason they're failing is because the pressure is getting to them, than they have no business playing.

Or they can just take some anti-anxiety meds before a game or something...

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#8 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Even though lidstrom has the C i doubt it his fault...I'm getting more frustrated about the likes of Zetterberg, Bertuzzi, Cleary, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart... all veteran players but they suck so hard

Or maybe the players are just fed up with the brutal coaching staff.. Especially McCrimmon and Babcock.. all Maclean does is keeping track on icetime and matchups.

But those veteran players are leaders too, not just the guy wearing the C.

They look like a fish out of water right now, unable to grasp the idea of regular season games being just as important as playoff games.

#9 germanwing

germanwing

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 576 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:44 PM

no sniper at the trading deadline....

#10 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:44 PM

In their defense, when was the last time the wings were in this position? How many players on the wings even know what it's like to battle for the eighth spot?

That's what I sort of meant.

But still, I was hoping they'd handle it better with the older players, even though they're not used to this pressure.

Guess I was wrong.

#11 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:47 PM

There is nothing the leadership can do if the rest of the team is unwilling to listen. Something needs to change.

You know what? I have been pissed off since the 2nd Iginla goal. Your post just made me remember that even when Stevie was here, we had some 1st round exits. I don't include the times we didn't make the playoffs with him because he was still in leadership training under Yoda,er, Scotty. If Stevie and Scotty couldn't pull everybody's heads out of their asses every season, I can't expect it out of Babcock and Lids.

#12 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:49 PM

I hate to make excuses for anyone that makes 7 million dollars a year but does it not look like Z is hurt? His speed isn't too bad but he just doesn't seem to have that push that he usually has. No time to whine about it now I guess with 16 games to go but I'm guessing if we were comfortably in a playoff spot right now he wouldn't be playing. Since Stevie left this team it has been leadership by committee although Lids has the C but it seems like that committee has been taking a few too many nights off ! :zzz:

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#13 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:50 PM

You know what? I have been pissed off since the 2nd Iginla goal. Your post just made me remember that even when Stevie was here, we had some 1st round exits. I don't include the times we didn't make the playoffs with him because he was still in leadership training under Yoda,er, Scotty. If Stevie and Scotty couldn't pull everybody's heads out of their asses every season, I can't expect it out of Babcock and Lids.

Yeah, but those first round exits were because of hot goaltending, not because of laziness and blown 3rd periods, as well as not showing up for a full 60 minutes. Also, our goalies were giving up many bad goals in those playoff losses.

This is a different problem with this team.

#14 datsyukismyfriend

datsyukismyfriend

Hockeytown!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:53 PM

It seems to me like they have no clue how to handle this pressure and this particular situation, and the idea that every game is much like a playoff game.

they're playing no differently than they were last year, they rarely played 60 minutes last year, either. they just don't have the talent to fall back on anymore. what talent we do have has underperformed this year. this is just how the wings play. they try to get by without working harder than the other team.
-I can't believe we drove around all day, and there's not a single job in this town. There is nothing, nada, zip!
-Yeah! Unless you wanna work forty hours a week.

#15 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:53 PM

If only we had born leader and hustler... Bring back Robert Lang
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#16 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:54 PM

I think it's time Lilja was given the C.

After all, he looks like Leonidas from the film 300.

He's the kind of guy these players would die for. :thumbup:

#17 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:54 PM

the team forgot how to score all season. i miss lil huds and sammy.

#18 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:56 PM

Well, its not much different when you have a spot secured, you just play a little harder than normal. If they have not figured that out they have to be retarded.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:57 PM

Bring Igor back!

#20 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,588 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:00 PM

I think it's time Lilja was given the C.

After all, he looks like Leonidas from the film 300.

He's the kind of guy these players would die for. :thumbup:

I bet you got moist when Keating interviewed the Pain Train during the 1st intermission ;)

'Evolution' created by Offsides