94 replies to this topic

#1 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:42 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=313303

After three days of meetings in Boca Raton, Florida, the National Hockey League's general managers have put forward a recommendation for a rule change to address hits to the head in league games.

The following language was agreed to unanimously by the group:

"A lateral, back pressure or blindside hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and or the principal point of contact is not permitted.

A violation of the above will result in a minor or major penalty and shall be reviewed for possible supplemental discipline."

The recommendation will be forwarded to the NHL and NHLPA competition committee and then to the NHL Board of Governors for final approval before it is passed.

I like it.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#2 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:32 PM

Removing the instigator would have also worked, without having to rely on our brilliant officials.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#3 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:33 PM

Removing the instigator would have also worked, without having to rely on our brilliant officials.

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

That said, I don't mind how that rule is written. I'm worried on how it's going to be enforced, I don't have a whole lot of faith on the officials.

#4 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:35 PM

it is a good rule because it "addressed" the hits to the head for the whiners whining about it, and it only removes blindside headshots.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#5 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:48 PM

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

That said, I don't mind how that rule is written. I'm worried on how it's going to be enforced, I don't have a whole lot of faith on the officials.

This is what scares me the most. Even more so, the last part stating, "shall be reviewed for possible supplemental discipline." We've all seen preferential treatment of players based on the name on the back of the jersey and I'd like to see this rule be more cut and dry all the way to the finish.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#6 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:52 PM

So the guy with brain damage has the satisfaction of knowing the other guy will get his ass kicked? Assuming the players will self police this kind of hit away seems less effective than literally policing it away...
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#7 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,217 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:58 PM

So the guy with brain damage has the satisfaction of knowing the other guy will get his ass kicked? Assuming the players will self police this kind of hit away seems less effective than literally policing it away...

How about the new rule and remove the instigator penalty.

#8 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:59 PM

Please list some of the players who were brain damaged as a result of blindside head-hits durring the era before the instigator rule was thought up.

It isn't about relatiation, it's about respecta and prevention, and for the most part it worked.

How about the new rule and remove the instigator penalty.

That's change I can believe in!
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#9 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,217 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:05 PM

Please list some of the players who were brain damaged as a result of blindside head-hits durring the era before the instigator rule was thought up.

It isn't about relatiation, it's about respecta and prevention, and for the most part it worked.

Me too...so if there's any question as to the kind of hit and the league doesn't follow through on the penalty and or suspension, someone can still get their ass beat anyway!!! :yowza:

#10 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:11 PM

So you don't think this rule will work?

Posted Image

#11 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:12 PM

If I was seriously injured I don't think it would make me feel any better even if someone did beat the hell out of the player that hit me.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#12 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:25 PM

So you don't think this rule will work?

Work to do what, restore the respect that players had for eachother in an era when few wore helmets and anyone could fight anyone at any time without provocation without worry of penalties in excess of a fighting major? I doubt it will do that.

Work to reduce injuries in the NHL? Doubtful. There aren't that many injuries caused by blindside hits to the head to begin with.

I suspect it will work to the extent that rules against hitting from behind work now - so, somewhat.

It will likely work to increase suspensions for players who are borderline NHLers, create much webforum crying about star players who don't get suspended, and it will resulty in more powreplays than there are now.

I like the rule but I think it could be improved upon.

No more instigator, no more hard pads. That's a good start if people want to make a safer, more exciting game.

If I was seriously injured I don't think it would make me feel any better even if someone did beat the hell out of the player that hit me.

If players are alowed to fight for retaliation without having to fear that they'll take their team out of the game, I expect cheapshots to happen less often - preventing injuries, or at least preventing the types of plays we're talking about here that sometimes (though not alarmingly often) cause serious injury. Some players will still player dirty, as some players always did - but others will think twice.
"It was pretty interesting," said Detroit coach Mike Babcock. "We had May in exhibition for a couple of games and no one gets hacked or whacked. When we don't have him, we get run. We don't have a team that twists off helmets at stoppages. You get tired of seeing it all the time. It's just nice when you get someone to look after that stuff."

#13 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:25 PM

Reggie Fleming.

A lot of players later in life are finding significant memory problems:
http://www.nytimes.c...gewanted=1&_r=1

But that is besides the point - with modern equipment and training these guys are bigger and traveling at much faster speeds than they used to.

Personally, I wouldn't mind all that much if they went back to no helmets and tube skates, but I am probably in the minority there.

Edited by egroen, 10 March 2010 - 04:30 PM.

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#14 micah

micah

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:30 PM

Reggie Fleming.

A lot of players later in life are finding significant brain damage:
http://www.nytimes.c...gewanted=1&_r=1

I'm not aware of blindside hits to the head involving Fleming. I know about the buttend and the stick swinging though. Please elaborate.

I do not advocate players playing the game without helmets - I suspect bare heads hitting the ice or being hit by pucks or fists were the primary cause of most long term brain dammage to hockey players, not checks to the head. Again though, I am in favor of a rule calling out headhunting for what it is, unsportsmanlike and dirty.

Edited by micah, 10 March 2010 - 04:34 PM.

#15 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:34 PM

I'm not aware of blindside hits to the head involving Fleming. I know about the buttend and the stick swinging though. Please elaborate.

Didn't notice you were being that picky -- Ace Bailey then :cool:

I suspect bare heads hitting the ice or being hit by pucks or fists were the primary cause of most long term brain dammage to hockey players, not checks to the head.

Bingo. Most of the concussion even today are from heads hitting the ice and walls - not the initial hit itself.

Edited by egroen, 10 March 2010 - 04:36 PM.

#16 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:10 PM

And it will be known as a Cooke .

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#17 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:20 PM

Mandate Cheli/Shanny style pads. The armor they wear now is unnecessarily rigid.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#18 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:14 PM

I have a feeling this won't change anything and it will turn out rather pointless.

Posted Image

#19 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:35 PM

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#20 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:36 PM

I do not advocate players playing the game without helmets - I suspect bare heads hitting the ice or being hit by pucks or fists were the primary cause of most long term brain dammage to hockey players, not checks to the head. Again though, I am in favor of a rule calling out headhunting for what it is, unsportsmanlike and dirty.

I don't. A guy like Boogaard for example can just cheap shot who ever he wants, because he usually don't have to be "afraid" figthing. And I don't think that's an excuse.

Cheap shots should always be punished with suspensions. This is ice-hockey, not last man standing wrestling or something like that. The refs and the league is there to take care of the punishments. No team should be having to do that themselves. No team should be having to whitstand cheap shots just because they don't have a guy who takes care that "justice" happens.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!