• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

egroen

GM's recommendation on hitting

Rate this topic

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=313303

After three days of meetings in Boca Raton, Florida, the National Hockey League's general managers have put forward a recommendation for a rule change to address hits to the head in league games.

The following language was agreed to unanimously by the group:

"A lateral, back pressure or blindside hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and or the principal point of contact is not permitted.

A violation of the above will result in a minor or major penalty and shall be reviewed for possible supplemental discipline."

The recommendation will be forwarded to the NHL and NHLPA competition committee and then to the NHL Board of Governors for final approval before it is passed.

I like it.

Removing the instigator would have also worked, without having to rely on our brilliant officials.

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

That said, I don't mind how that rule is written. I'm worried on how it's going to be enforced, I don't have a whole lot of faith on the officials.

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

That said, I don't mind how that rule is written. I'm worried on how it's going to be enforced, I don't have a whole lot of faith on the officials.

This is what scares me the most. Even more so, the last part stating, "shall be reviewed for possible supplemental discipline." We've all seen preferential treatment of players based on the name on the back of the jersey and I'd like to see this rule be more cut and dry all the way to the finish.

Removing the instigator would have also worked, without having to rely on our brilliant officials.

So the guy with brain damage has the satisfaction of knowing the other guy will get his ass kicked? Assuming the players will self police this kind of hit away seems less effective than literally policing it away...

Guest micah

So the guy with brain damage has the satisfaction of knowing the other guy will get his ass kicked? Assuming the players will self police this kind of hit away seems less effective than literally policing it away...

Please list some of the players who were brain damaged as a result of blindside head-hits durring the era before the instigator rule was thought up.

It isn't about relatiation, it's about respecta and prevention, and for the most part it worked.

How about the new rule and remove the instigator penalty.

That's change I can believe in!

Please list some of the players who were brain damaged as a result of blindside head-hits durring the era before the instigator rule was thought up.

It isn't about relatiation, it's about respecta and prevention, and for the most part it worked.

Me too...so if there's any question as to the kind of hit and the league doesn't follow through on the penalty and or suspension, someone can still get their ass beat anyway!!! :yowza:

So you don't think this rule will work?

Guest micah

So you don't think this rule will work?

Work to do what, restore the respect that players had for eachother in an era when few wore helmets and anyone could fight anyone at any time without provocation without worry of penalties in excess of a fighting major? I doubt it will do that.

Work to reduce injuries in the NHL? Doubtful. There aren't that many injuries caused by blindside hits to the head to begin with.

I suspect it will work to the extent that rules against hitting from behind work now - so, somewhat.

It will likely work to increase suspensions for players who are borderline NHLers, create much webforum crying about star players who don't get suspended, and it will resulty in more powreplays than there are now.

I like the rule but I think it could be improved upon.

No more instigator, no more hard pads. That's a good start if people want to make a safer, more exciting game.

If I was seriously injured I don't think it would make me feel any better even if someone did beat the hell out of the player that hit me.

If players are alowed to fight for retaliation without having to fear that they'll take their team out of the game, I expect cheapshots to happen less often - preventing injuries, or at least preventing the types of plays we're talking about here that sometimes (though not alarmingly often) cause serious injury. Some players will still player dirty, as some players always did - but others will think twice.

Reggie Fleming.

A lot of players later in life are finding significant memory problems:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/18/sports/hockey/18concussion.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

But that is besides the point - with modern equipment and training these guys are bigger and traveling at much faster speeds than they used to.

Personally, I wouldn't mind all that much if they went back to no helmets and tube skates, but I am probably in the minority there.

Edited by egroen

Guest micah

Reggie Fleming.

A lot of players later in life are finding significant brain damage:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/18/sports/hockey/18concussion.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

I'm not aware of blindside hits to the head involving Fleming. I know about the buttend and the stick swinging though. Please elaborate.

I do not advocate players playing the game without helmets - I suspect bare heads hitting the ice or being hit by pucks or fists were the primary cause of most long term brain dammage to hockey players, not checks to the head. Again though, I am in favor of a rule calling out headhunting for what it is, unsportsmanlike and dirty.

Edited by micah

I'm not aware of blindside hits to the head involving Fleming. I know about the buttend and the stick swinging though. Please elaborate.

Didn't notice you were being that picky -- Ace Bailey then :cool:

I suspect bare heads hitting the ice or being hit by pucks or fists were the primary cause of most long term brain dammage to hockey players, not checks to the head.

Bingo. Most of the concussion even today are from heads hitting the ice and walls - not the initial hit itself.

Edited by egroen

I do not advocate players playing the game without helmets - I suspect bare heads hitting the ice or being hit by pucks or fists were the primary cause of most long term brain dammage to hockey players, not checks to the head. Again though, I am in favor of a rule calling out headhunting for what it is, unsportsmanlike and dirty.

I don't. A guy like Boogaard for example can just cheap shot who ever he wants, because he usually don't have to be "afraid" figthing. And I don't think that's an excuse.

Cheap shots should always be punished with suspensions. This is ice-hockey, not last man standing wrestling or something like that. The refs and the league is there to take care of the punishments. No team should be having to do that themselves. No team should be having to whitstand cheap shots just because they don't have a guy who takes care that "justice" happens.

I don't. A guy like Boogaard for example can just cheap shot who ever he wants, because he usually don't have to be "afraid" figthing. And I don't think that's an excuse.

Except Boogaard doesnt do that kind of stuff, and neither do most heavys. Its the Avery, Ott, Tucker, Cooke and Tootoo's of the league this is aimed at.

A better move would be to get rid of the instigator rule, to weed out ******* like Matt Cooke from the NHL.

I give you Ulf Samuelsson and Ken Linseman. Neither of those guy were afraid to viciously hurt players pre-instigator rule. Some of these guys went after knees to end careers, which was the style back in the day. You'd say "Give me two knees for a quarter."

Anyway, all of those players wore out their welcomes from several teams because they wouldn't finish what they started in the pre-instigator era.

Except Boogaard doesnt do that kind of stuff, and neither do most heavys. Its the Avery, Ott, Tucker, Cooke and Tootoo's of the league this is aimed at.

boogaard hits guys in the head by default he is fricken 6'7, yes pronger physics inevitably have to be applied to large players

I give you Ulf Samuelsson and Ken Linseman. Neither of those guy were afraid to viciously hurt players pre-instigator rule. Some of these guys went after knees to end careers, which was the style back in the day. You'd say "Give me two knees for a quarter."

Anyway, all of those players wore out their welcomes from several teams because they wouldn't finish what they started in the pre-instigator era.

Those guys were more of a rarity back then. Now they're everywhere.

Seems like every team has a Matt Cooke type turd.