• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jjd06e

1-7-2

Rate this topic

1-7-2

That is Wings record in Osgoods last 10 starts. If he was even average in that stretch we could possibly be fighting for the division right now and would be in a lot better shape for 4th at least. 4 pts in 10 games is horrible from your backup. Are we seeing Ozzie's last games in a Red Wings jersey? Coaches obviously have no confidence in him, given the start streak Howard has gotten. Do we go into next season with him as our backup?

All but one of those games (today) came with a depleted lineup.

Howard has outplayed him this year, but that's a misleading record there.

To answer your question, I don't see him coming back next year with the rift that him and Babcock have.

That is such a lame excuse. Howard managed to get wins with our "depleted lineup". Osgood is just played horrible this year and he is not getting it done.

All but one of those games (today) came with a depleted lineup.

Howard has outplayed him this year, but that's a misleading record there.

To answer your question, I don't see him coming back next year with the rift that him and Babcock have.

But still Howard never came close to that bad of a stretch with our depleted lineup. The worst 10 game stretch I can find Howard having was 3-3-4. That is still 10 pts in 10 games, 6 more pts than we have gotten from Ozzie in this stretch. Howard also has a ridiculously better save percentage and GAA. Ozzie has given up 3 or more goals in 8 of those 10 starts and the 2 times he didnt he won and got an OTL.

Every aspect of today's game was ugly, not just goaltending, not just defense, not just offense.

I would agree, but no one is talking about just this game. Ozzie has been bad all season, particularly the last 10 starts, which I am pointing out in this thread. This isnt about just this game.

That is such a lame excuse. Howard managed to get wins with our "depleted lineup". Osgood is just played horrible this year and he is not getting it done.

Agreed. Remember when we were down to 10 forwards in March? We still won those games.

Before Babs decided to shut Ozzie down forever he had fantastic games against Calgary, Boston and San Jose, he looked like he was getting back into his groove. Since then he has 1 win and hasnt started a game at home since November 27th (Why is that relevant? He's 2-6-2 on the road with a 3.71 GAA and .868 sv%..). He finally had a good period in the 3rd today, but wont see action again this year. Honestly, if this is how Babcock is going to manage goalies, then no Osgood cant come back next year.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

I would agree, but no one is talking about just this game. Ozzie has been bad all season, particularly the last 10 starts, which I am pointing out in this thread. This isnt about just this game.

Fair enough. In any event, its truly a scary situation to have a rookie goaltender in the playoffs with an .800 backup

Before Babs decided to shut Ozzie down forever he had fantastic games against Calgary, Boston and San Jose, he looked like he was getting back into his groove. Since then he has 1 win and hasnt started a game at home since November 27th. He finally had a good period in the 3rd today, but wont see action again this year. Honestly, if this is how Babcock is going to manage goalies, then no Osgood cant come back next year.

You cant be serious, Howard is playing close to Vezina finalist level. Ozzie is almost an automatic 3+ goal a game at this point and every time he gets a chance he does bad. Ozzie has deserved nothing more than he has gotten this season. Ozzie also followed up those games you mentioned by allowing 5 goals, to Toronto. Then Howard came in and won 3 games in a row, and after his next loss they gave Ozzie another chance. They didnt shut down Ozzie at that point. Ozzie then got 3 of the next 5 starts, losing all 3, 2 in regulation. And the 2 games Howard played in that stretch he won 1 and lost the other while allowing only 2 goals. Howard started heating up at this point and Ozzie lost every game he started almost. Howard won the job outright and that is why Ozzie got shut down. And he then basically lost every opportunity he had since then, so he has done nothing to show Babcock he deserves more time.

Before Babs decided to shut Ozzie down forever he had fantastic games against Calgary, Boston and San Jose, he looked like he was getting back into his groove. Since then he has 1 win and hasnt started a game at home since November 27th (Why is that relevant? He's 2-6-2 on the road with a 3.71 GAA and .868 sv%..). He finally had a good period in the 3rd today, but wont see action again this year. Honestly, if this is how Babcock is going to manage goalies, then no Osgood cant come back next year.

Right, in his first year in the league this year, Babcock has really shown that he has no idea how to handle two potential starter goalies.

You cant be serious, Howard is playing close to Vezina finalist level. Ozzie is almost an automatic 3+ goal a game at this point and every time he gets a chance he does bad. Ozzie has deserved nothing more than he has gotten this season. Ozzie also followed up those games you mentioned by allowing 5 goals, to Toronto. Then Howard came in and won 3 games in a row, and after his next loss they gave Ozzie another chance. They didnt shut down Ozzie at that point. Ozzie then got 3 of the next 5 starts, losing all 3, 2 in regulation. And the 2 games Howard played in that stretch he won 1 and lost the other while allowing only 2 goals. Howard started heating up at this point and Ozzie lost every game he started almost. Howard won the job outright and that is why Ozzie got shut down. And he then basically lost every opportunity he had since then, so he has done nothing to show Babcock he deserves more time.

I'm not saying Osgood has deserved to start over Howard. The numbers are their, one has been great the other subpar. But I dont think Mike has handled the goalies right. I think Howard should've gotten the majority of the starts the way he has, but every couple games Ozzie should've played. You cant not start a guy since January and expect him to come in and be fine, yes the 1st goal today was incredibly weak and ill-timed but in that 3rd period he gave us a chance to win and the Wings as a team couldnt. This really isnt an argument anyways because Ozzie wont even play again this year more then likely, as Howard will play the pivotal games against Columbus and then Chicago next Sunday.

Guest Crymson

Right, in his first year in the league this year, Babcock has really shown that he has no idea how to handle two potential starter goalies.

Ya. And he did an awful job in '07 and '08 too.

/sarc

Osgood had an awful game. The first shot was something any goalie should be able to get. That is a ROUTINE save. What's worse, he actually managed to knock the puck into the net. That puck would have hit the post or gone wide otherwise. On the second goal, he made an absolutely baffling mistake. Why on earth would such an experienced goalie play the first guy on a 4 on 2 rush? He was five feet out of the net on the first shooter when the guy had three other players to pass to. No rustiness there. It was just a bad decision. The next two goals were tougher saves, sure. But on the third goal, he just plain failed to track the puck. That, too, has nothing to do with being rusty. Had he been tracking the puck better, he'd have had the chance to challenge the shot. It was a decent scoring chance, but it was nothing spectacular. The 4th goal would have been difficult to stop, sure, but it'd still have been possible. However, Osgood's failure to track the puck and the play once again did him in. I'll give him that one, though. It was a legitimate scoring chance.

That said, decent goaltending almost certainly would have won this game for the Wings.

This reminds me of 2004, when we went into the playoffs with an unproven Legace, with Cujo as the backup.

Should be interesting.

And in the end, it was Cujo standing on his head while the team was unable to score.

I'm not saying Osgood has deserved to start over Howard. The numbers are their, one has been great the other subpar. But I dont think Mike has handled the goalies right. I think Howard should've gotten the majority of the starts the way he has, but every couple games Ozzie should've played. You cant not start a guy since January and expect him to come in and be fine, yes the 1st goal today was incredibly weak and ill-timed but in that 3rd period he gave us a chance to win and the Wings as a team couldnt. This really isnt an argument anyways because Ozzie wont even play again this year more then likely, as Howard will play the pivotal games against Columbus and then Chicago next Sunday.

Agreed. It was Babcock's "winning the next game" attitude that kept them riding Jimmy. So now, our season rests in Howard's hands.

However, Babcock has said Osgood will start one more game. Obviously he knows that if Howard falters come playoff time, we can't afford to have a too-rusty Osgood.

Ya. And he did an awful job in '07 and '08 too.

/sarc

Osgood had an awful game. The first shot was something any goalie should be able to get. That is a ROUTINE save. What's worse, he actually managed to knock the puck into the net. That puck would have hit the post or gone wide otherwise. On the second goal, he made an absolutely baffling mistake. Why on earth would such an experienced goalie play the first guy on a 4 on 2 rush? He was five feet out of the net on the first shooter when the guy had three other players to pass to. No rustiness there. It was just a bad decision. The next two goals were tougher saves, sure. But on the third goal, he just plain failed to track the puck. That, too, has nothing to do with being rusty. Had he been tracking the puck better, he'd have had the chance to challenge the shot. It was a decent scoring chance, but it was nothing spectacular. The 4th goal would have been difficult to stop, sure, but it'd still have been possible. However, Osgood's failure to track the puck and the play once again did him in. I'll give him that one, though. It was a legitimate scoring chance.

That said, decent goaltending almost certainly would have won this game for the Wings.

Actually, Babcock did mishandle the goalie situation in the 2008 playoffs too. He was just lucky the right goalie came in and bailed him and the team out.

How so?

I think most people following the Red Wings that season knew Chris Osgood was the better option in goal, despite the similar stats. He should have been the playoff starter from game one. Another instance of Babcock poorly handling the goaltenders and thankfully it didn't backfire on the team in that case.

I think most people following the Red Wings that season knew Chris Osgood was the better option in goal, despite the similar stats. He should have been the playoff starter from game one. Another instance of Babcock poorly handling the goaltenders and thankfully it didn't backfire on the team in that case.

2008 I rarely got to see any games until the playoffs so I can't really comment. Hasek didn't play terrible in the playoffs from the few games he got but Ozzie definitely played better once he got the nod.

Who played after Osgood won in Nashville?

What concerns me most is that the Wings did absolutely nothing for Osgood today. It makes me question how much they really suppport him. He hadn't started a game in over 2 months, you'd think they'd try to do something special for him. It's like the whole team has soured on the guy.

What concerns me most is that the Wings did absolutely nothing for Osgood today. It makes me question how much they really suppport him. He hadn't started a game in over 2 months, you'd think they'd try to do something special for him. It's like the whole team has soured on the guy.

I'm not shocked. It was a nothing game for Detroit. The Flyers are battling for a playoff spot and they showed it.

I am glad Howard got some rest and will be glad if the Flyers make the playoffs so they can make things hell in the Eastern Conference for once. And the good news is Osgood didn't get pulled or let in 6+ goals. It was still a close game even with the softies and poor play of the team.

Yea, "absolutely nothing for osgood." They scored 3 goals and only allowed 25 shots in the game. Osgood must not really support the team by your standards, because HE brought nothing today. 4 goals on 25 shots is awful. At one point early in the game the flyers had 4 scoring chances and they had 3 goals. This can't happen if you want to be a starting goalie.

Edited by Hossa4Life

Comparing Osgood's starts to Howard's starts this season is comparing apples to oranges. Osgood hasn't started in over two months. OVER TWO MONTHS. Howard has been allowed to play his hot streak with continuous plays while 37yo Osgood has been put out in the cold since November, only playing the second of back-to-back games with a line-up that is depleted and/or tired.

The Wings played like crap, they deserved to lose, they lost, period. Howard has had a few rocky starts lately as well, but the team has played great when he has an off night. Against Nashville yesterday they were gifted a point thanks to Datsyuk. Against Edmonton they were probably headed for another shootout loss before Stuart's probably-high-stick goal in the last minutes, after blowing a 4 goal lead.

I get it, I do. You're bummed the Wings lost and you don't like Osgood, life's a ***** and then you die. But Osgood's W-L are not helped by the team's effort or the fact that he was basically retired early by Babcock in favor of Howard. Howard is a far superior tender right now, but its because he has been allowed to be. Osgood didn't lose this game, despite the very soft first goal and whether Howard would have had the 3rd goal is the only debatable point, he wouldn't have had the 2nd off a 4 on 2 or the 4th off a horrible defensive lapse.

Basically all you've managed to do is say our 37yo backup goaltender who averages one start every fourteen games since November, always second of back-to-back, has had a terrible record. That sounds about right, way to go statistician.