• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jjd06e

1-7-2

Rate this topic

Comparing Osgood's starts to Howard's starts this season is comparing apples to oranges. Osgood hasn't started in over two months. OVER TWO MONTHS. Howard has been allowed to play his hot streak with continuous plays while 37yo Osgood has been put out in the cold since November, only playing the second of back-to-back games with a line-up that is depleted and/or tired.

The Wings played like crap, they deserved to lose, they lost, period. Howard has had a few rocky starts lately as well, but the team has played great when he has an off night. Against Nashville yesterday they were gifted a point thanks to Datsyuk. Against Edmonton they were probably headed for another shootout loss before Stuart's probably-high-stick goal in the last minutes, after blowing a 4 goal lead.

I get it, I do. You're bummed the Wings lost and you don't like Osgood, life's a ***** and then you die. But Osgood's W-L are not helped by the team's effort or the fact that he was basically retired early by Babcock in favor of Howard. Howard is a far superior tender right now, but its because he has been allowed to be. Osgood didn't lose this game, despite the very soft first goal and whether Howard would have had the 3rd goal is the only debatable point, he wouldn't have had the 2nd off a 4 on 2 or the 4th off a horrible defensive lapse.

Basically all you've managed to do is say our 37yo backup goaltender who averages one start every fourteen games since November, always second of back-to-back, has had a terrible record. That sounds about right, way to go statistician.

I get it your a Osgood slappy. Your bummed osgood lost, life's a ***** and then you die. But like it or not we are getting WINS with howard in net and LOSES with Osgood in net. Stop living in the past and making excuses just because you like osgood. He isnt getting it done this year and THAT is why he is sitting. He is a veteran and should know better than anyone you have to earn your ice time.

Yesterday...

Howard 17 saves on 21 shots...lost the game...4-3...only got a point because of miraculous goal by Pavs at the end.

Today...

Ozzie 21 saves on 25 shots...lost the game...4-3...faced tons of odd man rushes...

Yesterday Howard...playing with a rested team at home

Today Ozzie...Playing with a tired team on the road...

Looks like they both sucked to me...looks like the team played flat and uninspired in both games to me...

Yet nobody cares Howard sucked yesterday...But people are saying that Ozzie "isn't supporting this team" or "isn't putting in a good effort" or "shouldn't be back next year"

How about as a team they put forth minimal effort 2 nights in a row, and faced teams that wanted to win more and showed it.

How about both goalies had bad games? And the team had bad games?

Before chastising Ozzie for today, look at Howie's stats yesterday...with the rested team...at home...then look at Ozzie's stats today...(though not good he doesn't deserve the horse s*** people throw at him)

Support both goaltenders...they are both very talented. Howard is 26, Ozzie is 37. Its a changing of the guard, which is a well timed. But without Ozzie, Howard wouldn't be as good as Howard is this season. Keep that in mind folks. Ozzie is to Howard what Vernon was to Ozzie.

Yesterday...

Howard 17 saves on 21 shots...lost the game...4-3...only got a point because of miraculous goal by Pavs at the end.

Today...

Ozzie 21 saves on 25 shots...lost the game...4-3...faced tons of odd man rushes...

Yesterday Howard...playing with a rested team at home

Today Ozzie...Playing with a tired team on the road...

Looks like they both sucked to me...looks like the team played flat and uninspired in both games to me...

Yet nobody cares Howard sucked yesterday...But people are saying that Ozzie "isn't supporting this team" or "isn't putting in a good effort" or "shouldn't be back next year"

How about as a team they put forth minimal effort 2 nights in a row, and faced teams that wanted to win more and showed it.

How about both goalies had bad games? And the team had bad games?

Before chastising Ozzie for today, look at Howie's stats yesterday...with the rested team...at home...then look at Ozzie's stats today...(though not good he doesn't deserve the horse s*** people throw at him)

Support both goaltenders...they are both very talented. Howard is 26, Ozzie is 37. Its a changing of the guard, which is a well timed. But without Ozzie, Howard wouldn't be as good as Howard is this season. Keep that in mind folks. Ozzie is to Howard what Vernon was to Ozzie.

But Howard has also had very good games all year long and has bailed us out of many games. It is alright for a goalie to have a bad game( like howards last game), but a bad season is what makes people stop and think.

But Howard has also had very good games all year long and has bailed us out of many games. It is alright for a goalie to have a bad game( like howards last game), but a bad season is what makes people stop and think.

Ozzie wasn't having that bad of a season when Howard took over. It was mediocor at best, and Howard really pulled away and rolled with it when he got the chance.

Ozzie has never been a backup goalie really...it has been a hard adjustment from going from playing every game to playing once a month.

How can anyone say Babcock mishandled the goalie situation this year? Howard is the only reason we're in the playoff hunt right now. He should win the Calder and be nominated for the selke for the stats he has right now. We're used to having 2 goalies that play an even amount through the season because we've never really had an elite goalie, or we've had two goalies playing very close to the same level. Now we have Ozzie, who despite winning us cups and blah blah blah can't win a game for us in the reg. season. And we have Howard who is putting up Vezina nominee worthy stats.

Howard deserves to play especially with how awful our team was compared to usual this season. Without the stellar goaltending our playoff streak would be coming to an end this year.

Ozzie wasn't having that bad of a season when Howard took over. It was mediocor at best, and Howard really pulled away and rolled with it when he got the chance.

Ozzie has never been a backup goalie really...it has been a hard adjustment from going from playing every game to playing once a month.

Well then he isnt, like you said earlier, like Vernon. He isnt a backup and that is why people are talking about getting rid of him. Howard has earned a starting spot and hopefully will develop into our long term starter.

I get it your a Osgood slappy. Your bummed osgood lost, life's a ***** and then you die. But like it or not we are getting WINS with howard in net and LOSES with Osgood in net. Stop living in the past and making excuses just because you like osgood. He isnt getting it done this year and THAT is why he is sitting. He is a veteran and should know better than anyone you have to earn your ice time.

Did Osgood punch your mother or something? Because you seriously seem to have a lot of vitriol toward the guy and anyone who isn't ready to throw Osgood to the wolves.

I'm getting a little tired of excuses from the Osgood crowd, he just has not produced this season.

That said, there is

A. No reason to bash Osgood, the whole team played like crap.

B. No reason to bash Babcock for keeping with Jimmy.

C. No reason to bash Howard for not having exceptional games the last couple starts.

Osgood simply is a back up now, it's Howard's team. Move on, this was a gimme game for Philly. Their season was at stake and they played well.

I have no problem with the goalie situation. I'm much more worried if our team can remain consistent(Zetterberg off one night, Datsyuk on and vice versa), but I believe they can pull it together in the playoffs.

No reason to start panicking because we lost one regular season game to a desperate playoff bubble team.

Edited by Carman

What concerns me most is that the Wings did absolutely nothing for Osgood today. It makes me question how much they really suppport him. He hadn't started a game in over 2 months, you'd think they'd try to do something special for him. It's like the whole team has soured on the guy.

I hear you. Though him letting in that first goal surely didn't help matters. I mean, you'd think they're pulling for him, but that's got to be really demoralizing right out of the gate.

As I said in another thread, if there's any silver lining, it's that he seemed to find some composure and made big saves in the third. Maybe he's getting his s*** together??

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I'm getting a little tired of excuses from the Osgood crowd, he just has not produced this season.

Who is honestly asserting that Osgood has played at the level Howard has? Those who are "defending" Osgood are defending the fact that Osgood isn't some s*** goaltender all of a sudden and that he still has a place on this team as a backup and mentor to Howard.

Who is honestly asserting that Osgood has played at the level Howard has? Those who are "defending" Osgood are defending the fact that Osgood isn't some s*** goaltender all of a sudden and that he still has a place on this team as a backup and mentor to Howard.

Oh I agree, but you would be lying if there aren't people on this forum crying that Babcock is the sole reason for Osgood's play.

I have no problem with defending Osgood, just a problem with people making up stats that show Jimmy Howard in a negative light, and people that cry that Babcock has a personal issue with Osgood etc.

I just can't see why we can't be happy that our goaltending has been a bright spot this year and leave it at that.

Did Osgood punch your mother or something? Because you seriously seem to have a lot of vitriol toward the guy and anyone who isn't ready to throw Osgood to the wolves.

I actually have an osgood jersey and am a fan of his, but if he is not performing well then i am not going to just make excuses and defend him just because i like the guy. It actually does kind of upset me, because if Howard and osgoods stats were switched this year you would want to cut howard and never give him another start. But just because osgood used to be an amazing goalie people overly defend him with no justification.

Oh I agree, but you would be lying if there aren't people on this forum crying that Babcock is the sole reason for Osgood's play.

I have no problem with defending Osgood, just a problem with people making up stats that show Jimmy Howard in a negative light, and people that cry that Babcock has a personal issue with Osgood etc.

I just can't see why we can't be happy that our goaltending has been a bright spot this year and leave it at that.

Hooray for logics! :clap:

The big reason I hope we move on from Osgood is the hope that we'll get a solid reliable backup for Jimmy. Think about it, if Jimmy got hurt tomorrow and was out for 4-6 months, chances are we would be in big big trouble. So hopefully next season we'll have a capable consistent backup that would be able to come in if the worst happens to Howard, and we can all still feel confident about our team's chances. Howard's durability right now could literally make or break our chances of bringing home Lord Stanley's Cup. I pray that he stays healthy for the rest of the season and post season.

Guest Lidstromboli

posting in an Osgood vs Howard thread :)

Edited by Lidstromboli

The big reason I hope we move on from Osgood is the hope that we'll get a solid reliable backup for Jimmy. Think about it, if Jimmy got hurt tomorrow and was out for 4-6 months, chances are we would be in big big trouble. So hopefully next season we'll have a capable consistent backup that would be able to come in if the worst happens to Howard, and we can all still feel confident about our team's chances. Howard's durability right now could literally make or break our chances of bringing home Lord Stanley's Cup. I pray that he stays healthy for the rest of the season and post season.

But the reality is that Ozzy is under contract for next season. So short of a trade, waiving him, or Ozzy retiring, he's going to be in the lineup next year. I can't see Holland doing either of those things given Osgood's history with the team and Holland's loyalty, and I can't see Osgood hanging them up yet.

The best situation is for Osgood to get his act together - not to steal the job from Jimmy - but so he can be a reliable backup and get some wins for the team while Jimmy is resting, along with mentoring him on the circle of hell that is being a goaltender in Detroit.

EDIT: and I think because of his age at the last contract, even if the Wings were to waive Ozzy or he retired, his salary counts against the cap.

You must be new here, but that's a beautiful dream. :P

Edited by haroldsnepsts

You must be in the wrong thread by accident, because this is an Osgood excuse and defend thread.

You're hilarious :hehe:

I love how whenever someone posts objective observations that shatter the misconceptions of certain people, ie you thinking Howard is fine in losing a game that Osgood isn't, all of a sudden someone is an Osgood slappy. Classic.

People need to calm down with the stupid knee-jerk "OsSUCKS is horrible FML!" BS and look at the games he has played, simple as that. No one is arguing the Osgood is better than Howard or as good as Howard, so dry your eyes. But people who honestly think any 37yo goaltender who hasn't played for two months would have won that game are kidding themselves. Osgood hasn't been in a position to play well since November and he hasn't played well, period.

But don't say Howard's loss yesterday was any better than Osgood's loss today. It wasn't.

You're hilarious hehe.gif

I love how whenever someone posts objective observations that shatter the misconceptions of certain people, ie you thinking Howard is fine in losing a game that Osgood isn't, all of a sudden someone is an Osgood slappy. Classic.

People need to calm down with the stupid knee-jerk "OsSUCKS is horrible FML!" BS and look at the games he has played, simple as that. No one is arguing the Osgood is better than Howard or as good as Howard, so dry your eyes. But people who honestly think any 37yo goaltender who hasn't played for two months would have won that game are kidding themselves. Osgood hasn't been in a position to play well since November and he hasn't played well, period.

But don't say Howard's loss yesterday was any better than Osgood's loss today. It wasn't.

Well if your going with the Osgood is cold excuse, then im going to take the Howard is tired excuse.

But what i was actually saying is osgood has sucked all year, howard had an off game. So yes there is a huge difference.

I wonder if Canuck fans complain over and over again about Luongo playing all those games..

"When is Schneider going to get his chance, this is crazy, I'm tired of winning!"

Just let them make the calls, its obviously worked for the 19th straight time. Its a job and things happen. Ozzie's time has come and past and it was a magnificent time here with Detroit. Howard is the future and hopefully a franchise goalie.

Comparing Osgood's starts to Howard's starts this season is comparing apples to oranges. Osgood hasn't started in over two months. OVER TWO MONTHS. Howard has been allowed to play his hot streak with continuous plays while 37yo Osgood has been put out in the cold since November, only playing the second of back-to-back games with a line-up that is depleted and/or tired.

The funny thing is that Howard had a similar SV% the last game he played. And he's been playing again and again. Osgood hasn't played in months and performed the same as Howard's last game.

The funny thing is that Howard had a similar SV% the last game he played. And he's been playing again and again. Osgood hasn't played in months and performed the same as Howard's last game.

Who the hell is talking about 1 game? I love how the Ozzie slappys are out in force "His last game was as good as Howards"

Who gives a flying (you know what)

Howard also had a shutout last week that went into the SO. Howard also is top 5 in Sv % and GAA. Osgood is 1-7-2 his last 10 starts and has horrible stats. Who gives a rats (you know what) what they each did their last game. This thread wasnt about todays game, it was about ozzies last 10 and his season in general.

I wonder if Canuck fans complain over and over again about Luongo playing all those games..

"When is Schneider going to get his chance, this is crazy, I'm tired of winning!"

Just let them make the calls, its obviously worked for the 19th straight time. Its a job and things happen. Ozzie's time has come and past and it was a magnificent time here with Detroit. Howard is the future and hopefully a franchise goalie.

I'd say yes. At least this year, because Luongo has had some REALLY bad games this year.

Realistically though Howard did seem like he needed some rest, no harm in seeing how Osgood would do unless we were still down fighting with Colorado and Calgary. Now we know, and can go forward with Howard in confidence.

Is this post a joke? This is like the 4th time i have said this, but here we go again. You can't get on Howard for having one off game, but you can get on Osgood for having an entire season that is bad. What is howards save percentage on the year and what is Osgoods.