• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:05 PM

Franzen may not play like a "true" power forward, but he's not as soft as some people around here say. He can throw some hits and most of all he's hard to move and hard to stop.

I don't expect Bert to leave, I just hope he does.

Franzen is a diver, plain and simple. He's a highly skilled player and a clutch scorer, but his embellishments are kinda ridiculous for a guy his size which I find disappointing.

#22 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:08 PM

Franzen is a diver, plain and simple. He's a highly skilled player and a clutch scorer, but his embellishments are kinda ridiculous for a guy his size which I find disappointing.

That's your opinion (I completely disagree) but there's more to not being soft than diving or not diving. For example, Crosby dives but he's not really a soft player.

#23 Joseph Franks

Joseph Franks

Rookie

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:00 PM

Bring back:

UFA's:
#1) Lidstrom (7.5 mil) - He'll be back as our captain at a much lower price, probably a 1-2 year deal.
#2) Holmstrom (2.3 mil) - He'll be back at a slightly lower price, probably 1 year.
#3) Bertuzzi (1.5 mil) - I know he's easy to hate, but in all objective reality, he gives us everything on the ice that mule gives us...but to a lesser degree...and one that is fairly proportional to their difference in price.

Yes, Yes, Yes.

Lidstrom is getting a bit older. In fact, I dare say he was partially responsible for one goal against us last game...but it's not very often one can say that. He still plays at a very high caliber, he's just....well...a lets admit it, getting a little less slick than he use to be. You can see it in his face when he does screw up a play, in the form of a very un-Lidstrom like rage. I say this because as I personally get older, it occasionally gets frustrating to KNOW that you just did something poorly that you wouldn't have done in your younger years. Down and out? Hell no. Lidstrom has a few great years left in him, but he's not always capable of making the plays he once made. It's frustrating to him. But, he's still the best D-Man on our team, and still a man whom I'd bear the children of. Jk :)

Holmstrom in some ways is following the same path, with one exception. He's getting somehow even TOUGHER. I will not dismiss his goal scoring this season, but largely it was due to his proficiency at how he does his job at the goalies throat. Skill wise he's also dipped a bit, and if you were to scroll back to last years playoffs you'd find plenty of posts deeming him only worthy of the third or fourth line. Granted, posts made in anger don't count, but for those with short term, bipolar hockey memories (Which is 99% of us), his age is taking a toll. But, he's still the best at his main job in the league, and sometimes I wonder if he's not just getting better at it.

Bertuzzi, now there is a subject of hot debate. Scroll back one page and you'll find a praise thread, two and a hatred thread, three and another praise thread. To be Honest, I'm very happy with what Bert has brought this year. A lot of season games he was either the reason we won, or the reason we stayed in, with his oddball goal scoring ability. I agree....he doesn't have the physical edge we all wanted all the time, and he gets sloppy sometimes, and when he gets near the goal with the puck perhaps he tries a bit too hard to make the fancy plays that maybe he shouldn't be making anymore, but his offensive awareness is still very solid, his size can still be used, and he can still score.

RFA's:
#1) Abdelkader (0.9 mil) - no question about it, slight raise.
#2) Helm (0.6 mil) - ditto.
#3) Miller (0.5 mil) - hopefully no one makes him a big offer.
#4) Eaves (0.5 mil) - hopefully no one makes him a big offer.
#5) Meech (0.5 mil) - shouldn't be hard to keep, nice seventh defenseman that can play forward in a jam.

Abdelkader has heart. You don't score like he has scored, hit like he has hit....as a freaking rookie, and not want to keep this guy around. Pending he doesn't slump himself out, or injure himself.....the dude is the real deal. He's af****** hockey player.

Helm has speed, and tenacity that we will need.

The rest I don't have much to say on. All solid potentially sound players. I don't see any of them going on to be superstars, but I can see them replenishing our 3rd/4th lines over the years as we start to lose a lot of our 90's crew to age and retirement. What each of those three lack for now....is a personality. A "role" if you will. If each of them, or any of them....find a role on this team, then they will be well worth keeping.

Will reply more later, on the rest. Gotta sleep.

#24 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,297 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:02 PM

I want to see us sign more soft Euros like Vrbata, Nokelainnen and Prucha, who will play hard in the playoffs and win battles along the boards.

These North Americans like Bertuzzi, Eaves, Abby and Miller just aren't cutting it right now.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#25 Joseph Franks

Joseph Franks

Rookie

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:07 PM

If you were as big as Franzen, and got knocked down, most likely driving through two dudes at once as he tends to do.... I'd like to see you gracefully get back to your feet.

I want to see us sign more soft Euros like Vrbata, Nokelainnen and Prucha, who will play hard in the playoffs and win battles along the boards.

These North Americans like Bertuzzi, Eaves, Abby and Miller just aren't cutting it right now.

At what point has Abby been bad in the playoffs?

I take it, you just have no idea what you are talking about.

This isn't Soccer kid. Learn hockey, then speak.

Edited by Joseph Franks, 19 April 2010 - 04:05 PM.

#26 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,297 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:12 PM

If you were as big as Franzen, and got knocked down, most likely driving through two dudes at once as he tends to do.... I'd like to see you gracefully get back to your feet.

At what point has Abby been bad in the playoffs?

I take it, you just have no idea what you are talking about.

:lol:

You'll learn quickly around here newbie.

#27 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:18 PM

Whoa... Newbie comes on and taken on a big dog. This should be fun to watch.

#28 Winged_Wheeler

Winged_Wheeler

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:24 PM

I'd offer Lidstrom 1.5-2.5 mil, take it or leave.

#29 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,297 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:24 PM

Yeah, the guy just didn't get the joke, so he starts acting tough for no reason.

He'll learn how the humor works around here eventually.

#30 Joseph Franks

Joseph Franks

Rookie

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:25 PM

Hardly a newbie. Just so happens that whole "Forgot your password" link never actually emails it.

Plus, it's a guy who said, "Anyone but Fatso should win it." regarding Brodeur and the Vezina.

His 10,000 posts since July 2007, or roughly 3300+ posts a year....10 posts a day for 3 years....doesn't tell me someone is a big dog. It tells me it's someone who spends more time talking about hockey, than playing, watching, or knowing hockey.

Even the biggest e-p33n, doesn't go past the keyboard.

Edited by Joseph Franks, 19 April 2010 - 04:28 PM.

#31 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,297 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:27 PM

Hardly a newbie. Just so happens that whole "Forgot your password" link never actually emails it.

Plus, it's a guy who said, "Anyone but Fatso should win it." regarding Brodeur and the Vezina.

His 10,000 posts since 2007, or roughly 3000 posts a year....10 posts a day....doesn't tell me someone is a big dog. It tells me it's someone who spends more time talking about hockey, than playing, watching, or knowing hockey.

You don't have a sense of humor apparently.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 19 April 2010 - 04:27 PM.

#32 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:28 PM

:lol:

Posted Image

#33 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:28 PM

When he's flailing around on the ice clutching his face because someone brushed up against him...it's because he's too big to get up? totally logical.

People need to take off the homer glasses and just admit it. I'm not questioning his skills, but he embellishes contact frequently.

#34 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:30 PM

Hudler-Filppula-Franzen : If I'm not mistaken we had this line in the 07-08 playoffs did we not? Fil always had good chemistry with Hudler and Franzen complements the soft euros with some size.

The line was Franzen - Filppula - Samuelsson. Hudler played on the 4th line with Helm and Maltby/McCarty.

#35 Joseph Franks

Joseph Franks

Rookie

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:35 PM

You don't have a sense of humor apparently.

Oh I do, I just like to mess with people :)

One of my old names was Truebladearmy.

Had three others before that. But something about being overseas (korea, Germany...army lifestyle) means I can never get my passwords back again.

Hit search and that name, you might remember me :)

Edited by Joseph Franks, 19 April 2010 - 04:36 PM.

#36 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:43 PM

Hudler-Filppula-Franzen : If I'm not mistaken we had this line in the 07-08 playoffs did we not? Fil always had good chemistry with Hudler and Franzen complements the soft euros with some size.

I would imagine that line would be better than the Hudler-Filppula-Samuelsson line. The only problem I have with that is Hudler's defense. He's not bad in that area. He's slightly above adequate. It's just that Filppula and Franzen will continue to progress in their development and a part of that is matching up against the top lines of other teams. Franzen and Filppula have proven that they can do a good job with that responsibility. But Hudler? For a whole game? I don't know about that.

#37 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:09 PM

I'm not sure that we're going to have enough to resign Lilja after taking on Hudler's contract and giving all those RFA's their raises. And could you provide a source for the Kindl take!? I've heard nothing but positives.

Over the past few seasons many here have given their opinion via these boards that Kindl really needs to concentrate alot more on his defensive responsibilities if he ever wants to make it with the big club...The Sporting News, and the Hockey News also have season previews that I'll purchase each September; can't remember which 1 it was, but 1 of the 2 mags commented how Smith will probably become our best prospect not in a Red Wings uni if Kindl doesn't start playing better in his own end.

So honestly I have no concrete evidence - just observations from posters here, and opinions from a season preview mag.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#38 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

hudler on the 1st line,
homer ont he 4th?

what?

#39 GoWings1905

GoWings1905