• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Travis

Norris Finalists Announced

Rate this topic

Since people seem to think his +/- stat during the regular season is worthless, what exactly does that tell us? ;)

Not much.

But +/- aside, he's having another bad playoffs.

I know Norris is for regular season, but to me there's an element of the award of "who would you want on the ice in key situations of the Cup Finals?" Green is certainly not top three in any situation other than power play.

Over on hfboards there's people comparing him to Paul Coffey. It's friggin ridiculous. Yes, Green is great offensively on a great offensive team. If he wins the Norris, it will be a disgrace to the award.

In future years Mike Green would be the example people use when someone is trying to prove a crazy ass pick to win the Norris.

Post: so and so will never win the Norris because he's not good at defense!

Reply: Mike Green says hi.

Lids had a slow start, but came on stronger and stronger as the season wore on. His Norris wins may be behind him. It's unfortunate it took people so long to recognize how great of a D-man he is, because his style of play isn't flashy. Lidstrom's greatness is best shown by the things that don't happen - like mistakes, or the puck ending up in his net.

And let's be honest, if Lids was a Canadian boy, he's got at least one more Norris and is ahead of Bourque on everyone's list.

No surprises here. Top 3 in points as well. Ho-hum.

I don't like Pronger, but he got snubbed this year. He's been better than 2 of those guys and imo you could make a case for him being #1.

It's sad how lazy hockey writers have gotten over the years. If not for the Olympics, Doughty probably isn't in the top three because he plays for the Kings and their games are so late.

It's like you can just go down the stat sheet for offense and hand out awards now.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I guarantee you Pronger and still Lidstrom would be the first two on every GM's wish list going into the playoffs. The idea Green was a 'better' all around defenseman than Lidstrom, this year or last year is a farce, and even the voters know it.

I guarantee you Pronger and still Lidstrom would be the first two on every GM's wish list going into the playoffs. The idea Green was a 'better' all around defenseman than Lidstrom, this year or last year is a farce, and even the voters know it.

So why does he get the nomination? Just another act to sell the game?

So why does he get the nomination? Just another act to sell the game?

I think the voters just feel the highest point earner automatically gets a Top 3 vote... despite the fact that if they made a direct comparison they would agree Lidstrom was the better "all-around" defenseman this year ("but Green did score a lot of points"). Sure, Lidstrom may have lost a step (and it is only a step), but that is down from one of the greatest defensive defenseman of all-time. Give Lidstrom a defensive-primary partner, put him on the Capitals this year instead of Green, and that team is even better... everyone knows it. His level of defensive play is still leap years better than "he's really not that bad... I'd say better than average".

Mike Green is a joke.

Doughty could be great. I haven't followed him but I was surprised to hear Ken and Mick predict he'll be like Bobby Orr (and by extension Lidstrom) someday. Anyone think he could really be that great?

Mike Green is a joke.

Doughty could be great. I haven't followed him but I was surprised to hear Ken and Mick predict he'll be like Bobby Orr (and by extension Lidstrom) someday. Anyone think he could really be that great?

The next generation of top-end defensemen will include Duncan Keith, Shea Weber, Joni Pitkanen, Drew Doughty, Ian White, Tyler Myers, Jack Johnson. Don't know that any will be All-Time greats, but they're the guys in the league right now who are mid-20s or younger that I expect to be among the league's best consistently in the future. There are probably others I could have listed, and probably guys yet to enter the league who will match that group. Best part? I'd take them all over Green for PK duty right now, let alone in their primes.

The next generation of top-end defensemen will include Duncan Keith, Shea Weber, Joni Pitkanen, Drew Doughty, Ian White, Tyler Myers, Jack Johnson. Don't know that any will be All-Time greats, but they're the guys in the league right now who are mid-20s or younger that I expect to be among the league's best consistently in the future. There are probably others I could have listed, and probably guys yet to enter the league who will match that group. Best part? I'd take them all over Green for PK duty right now, let alone in their primes.

JMFJ, Eva? That's a bold statement. He's still got the potential there, but he's also still got lots of ground to make up on defense (though you're right, I'd probably take him over Green defensively, too.)

God I hope Green doesn't win it.

How does Green keep getting nominated for the Norris? The guy plays NO defense... None, That's why he couldn't make the cut for Team Canada He's awful in his own zone Give em the Selke! No way does he deserve the Norris...

Edited by Rockitman