• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingsownnhl43

Nick Lidstrom

Rate this topic

A couple of things that differ from you(generic) and I compared to Lids:

You and I don't really own our houses, the banks do, so if we want to sell we have a minimum number what you owe + Agent fees.

You and I can not sell in this economy without losing money on our houses, therefore we can not sell.

You and I have two options, Short sale and your credit gets hammered and you can not buy for 5 years. Or...

Foreclosure, I can walk out from under my home and say screw you Indie Mac (actually the fiancee owns, I moved in) and our loan.

There goes our credit and any chance of buying a home or anything for at least 7 years.

Compared to Lids:

Owns his house the old fashion way, he paid for it with some of the millions he has.

He can sell for whatever damn price he wants, it is all profit except the Agent Fee.

The house is for sale near Detroit and the greatest thing to come along since Yzerman just moved out of it.

The Detroit thing may scare you, however the house is in probably the most beautiful part of the Metro region (it is still in the metro region right? Little Sweden?) and he probably sold it to Howard who will need a house now!

Hell I would buy it from him and pay him extra to sign a huge wall in the middle of the damn thing.

1) You don't know (I'm assuming) how he paid for his house. He didn't necessarily buy it outright with cash. You hear stories all the time about so and so mega rich person that owes $X million on a property.

2) Assuming he paid for cash and owes $0 on the house, it doesn't mean everything is profit in a sale. If he spent $4 million on the house and ends up selling it for $3 million, there is no profit....obviously.

If he spent 4 mil on the house he has recoup that loss almost two fold in one year, Lids is not Giilbert Arenas and I have seen numerous Swedish articles (thanks to the translators on here) of what appears to be man who lives very modestly.

So yeah I assumed a lot with Lids, but my point was that it is about 800 times easier for a man in his position to sell than some one like me in a $150000 loan on a house that I could now sell for about $110000.

Even if he sells it for 2 Million, half of what he paid (guessing I understand that, just going with the proposed situation), He could play one year in Sweden and recoup the loss.

Sure it is not all profit, if you look at it as a one transaction, he bought the house for x he sold it for y thus x-y = z, but in a situation where you make twice the cost of your house in a year, one would assume he owns it, athletes are more like corporations than they are like you and I. They have so much money and so many opportunities to increase their capital that, it is more like he spent x on his house, y on his cars, z on his pool thus x + y + Z = expenses and Salary as A, Endorsements as B thus A + B income then

Income - Expenses = Net Worth

Where as for me it is Paycheck - Bills = Damn where in the hell is my next paycheck!

Now like you posted, and the numerous examples of Rich people blowing their wad on Drugs and Women they have lost their house, guys like Arenas, MC Hammer, etc.... the list goes on and on.

I guess I assumed (I know my mistake right there) that Lids was a headier guy than that, and seeing as moving back to Sweden has always been the plan, I think the last thing he would want is a house in Michigan that he can not get rid off or that would cost him his move back.

Short answer you are right, I made a lot of assumptions.

Guest mjtm77

I have also been hearing Lids is likely to hang em up. It was on some radio talk show they had interviewed Draper and he said it was likely Lids would retire.

I wouldn't mind if he tired. He's a great player, but not worth his current cap hit. Of course, if we can negotiate a fair price that would be great.

I just hope we can dump Ericsson. Ericsson's a total turd nugget. I don't know anything about this Kindle guy, but heck, anyone's get to be better than Ericsson. Hell, put Williams on defense, I hate Williams, but he's WAY better than Ericsson.

"Wouldn't mind if he retired."

:huh: ... Wow.

Honestly... I wouldn't be too upset. He's still a great defender and offensive presence, but he isn't the Lidstrom of old by any means. If he's done he's done. Time to see what the Wings can do without him. It'll be interesting.

Guest Lidstromboli

i can't remember the last time lids played on a pairing that wasn't the first

If Lidstrom should retire, Id immetiatley target Anton Volchenkov. Losing Lidstrom obviously would hurt, but I think adding a physical stay at home defenseman would help our defense that has really struggled this playoffs. I also am thinking that if Slava Kozlov comes back for another year he could be had for cheap and I think he could be pretty solid and could help us with the secondary scoring we've been lacking. Could be a Larionov type.

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / * Tomas Holmstrom ($1.500m)

Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) /* Mattias Ritola ($0.511m) / * Slava Kozlov ($1.200m)

* Justin Abdelkader ($0.850m) / * Darren Helm ($0.750m) / * Patrick Eaves ($0.650m)

/ Kris Draper ($1.583m

DEFENSEMEN

Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / * Anton Volchenkov ($4.000m)

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

* Doug Janik ($0.500m)

GOALTENDERS

Chris Osgood ($1.417m) / Jimmy Howard ($0.717m)

ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $53.624m; CAP ROOM: $3.176m BONUSES: $0.000m

3.17 in cap room to either pick up another forward, or wait to the trade deadline to assess our needs and possibly make a huge splash. Losing Nick would suck, but it would give us a ton of flexibility.

I really think this is Nick's last season, which is why I'd like the Wings to let him go out with a bang. If we win the Stanley Cup, he could be enticed to come back for one more season, but if we get eliminated, I think he's going to hang 'em up.

I don't want to be the "I heard it from a friend of a friend" rumor spreading guy, so I will say in full disclosure, this next comment is hearsay:

However, a gentleman on my hockey team claims to be a good friend of the Lidstrom family and says their house has been sold and they are renting a condo for the remainder of the season because he is most likely done. Take it for what it's worth, but if true, that doesn't sound too promising. I hope it's not.

edit: I questioned the validity on the mere fact one was able to sell a home in Metro Detroit.

He's certainly capable of playing, but it doesn't look like he has the passion to play anymore.

I know, I'm no insider and I really don't want to claim to know what anyone feels inside, especially a legend, but has anyone else gotten that impression this year? That it's not his skills that are declining as much as his passion for the game?

Many players retire before their skills give out simply because they've done it all and want to spend time with family or pursuing other interests, even the all-time greats. When you devote your life to a game, as important as it seems, your interest does wane after a while.

Many players retire before their skills give out simply because they've done it all and want to spend time with family or pursuing other interests, even the all-time greats. When you devote your life to a game, as important as it seems, your interest does wane after a while.

Guess that's one difference between him and Stevie.

i said it in another thread. lids retires our defense goes to s***. i will be very scared for next season with the defense we have now.

Yeah, the Wings won't be the same without him, and obviously we don't want him to go. But it will be exciting and interesting to see the Wings transition and go after a big name defense man. There are some really talented younger guys out there who could be huge in the next couple of years if we could lure them away from their teams.

I think Kronwall and Stuart can handle the top spots for a year or two, then the Wings should go after another player who is good and young enough to spend his whole career here.

I think Kronwall and Stuart can handle the top spots for a year or two, then the Wings should go after another player who is good and young enough to spend his whole career here.

I think this year's draft or next year's draft is supposed to be deep with defensemen. I'd like for the Wings to trade for a lottery pick.

Yeah, the Wings won't be the same without him, and obviously we don't want him to go. But it will be exciting and interesting to see the Wings transition and go after a big name defense man. There are some really talented younger guys out there who could be huge in the next couple of years if we could lure them away from their teams.

stuart has been good. hes a great shut down guy. kronwall will have to step up BIG TIME

pray the wings find a stealth defense men like they did with z and dats.

Edited by brett

Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.500m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($1.000m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.000m)

Kris Draper ($1.583m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.000m) / Drew Miller ($1.000m)

Kirk Maltby ($0.650m) / Mattias Ritola ($0.599m)

Nicklas Lidstrom ($5.000m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

Andreas Lilja ($1.000m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

Jimmy Howard ($0.717m) / Chris Osgood ($1.417m)

Done and done. The only thing I'm unsure about is Lilja. We could have a different 6th/7th combo, say Janik and Kindl. Would be slightly cheaper, but Lilja is a good PK'er. I'd have Mursak up next seaosn to add some more scoring power, but we all know Maltby is coming back, probably at the expense of Ritola too...

Edited by Aussie_Wing

It floors me how many people actually want him to retire. :blink:

Maybe some people here are too young to remember the Nick-less Wings - well it wasn't pretty. Forget about crying about going out in the second round.

We as Wings fans have a harsh reality to face when #5 retires. Yzerman had so many injury problems his last few years we were able to transition to guys like Datsyuk and Hank pretty quickly. Plus it is way harder to replace a defenseman.

Speaking of replace, you cannot with a HOF top 5 dman of all time - you just can't do it. He plays half of every game and played ALL 82 GAMES this year - that is just crazy. He's still the best player on this team.

I love the Wings but i know when Nick goes this team is going to take a dive for a few years. It makes me sick to even think about it but I know it's coming.

I have to say with the effort the team is putting in, minus a few guys, I wouldn't blame Nick for retiring.

It floors me how many people actually want him to retire. :blink:

I agree. I dont think anyone should want him to retire. However, to play the other side, I think people worry too much about replacing All-God Nick Lidstrom, and in reality, hes just not that anymore. Hes certainly still a top 10 defenseman in the league, but you do see him starting to get beat more and more. I dont doubt that the guy can be a top 4 defenseman until hes 50, but I have trouble shelling out 5mil plus to a defenseman in decline. If he wants to give us a home town discount and re-sign for 4 mil or less, Im all for it. If he wants market value, we honestly might be better off with him retiring, because I do think we can contend without him.

We've managed success with life after Fedorov, Yzerman, Shanahan, in large part because of Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Nick will probably be the hardest to replace, but I do think that we can get by without losing anything in the defensive zone if we sign a physical stay at home defenseman. We'd obviously miss his point production and power play ability, but thats going to start to decline too as time goes by.

Like I said, if NIck retires it will be a sad, sad day, but I do think we can manage. Instead of signing him, we will probably be able to add a solid defenseman, and a nice forward to replace him.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

The house is in Novi.

Seeing as I live in Belagio (the sub in question), I can safely say that as of 7 o clock tonight, there is no sold sign at his house.

P.S. (It's technically in Northville).

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA