• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:49 PM

let's hope draper, lidstrom, homer, ozzie, and maltby all retire...NOT!!! Ditch williams, bertuzzi, and lebda

Umm... Bertuzzi actually has been playing well, if you weren't paying attention.

Is fifth on the team in points not good enough?
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#22 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:49 PM

I saw a similar situation to this play out recently in Detroit ...

The Pistons won the NBA title, made it to the Finals the next year and lost in 7, made it to the conference finals the year after that, and then pretty suddenly fell off the face of the Earth -- they decided it wasn't working anymore, so they blew it up because they were worried about players getting too old or losing the fire. I know that the Wings have been a lot more stable as a contender than the Pistons, but ...

Now, granted, Ken Holland is leaps and bounds ahead of Joe Dumars as a general manager (at least in my mind), but it's still scary when a team drops from the pinnacle of its sport to a stumbling also-ran. Hudler's back next year, but it's hard to imagine there not being a couple more changes. And whenever that becomes a possibility, it carries with it the chance of not working.

I hope that the Wings will stay a major threat -- and I believe that they will given the talent they'll bring back next year -- but it's still a little sobering.

They fell off the face of the earth? News to me.

2004: Championship
2005: Finals
2006: Conference finals
2007: Conference semifinals
2008: Conference finals
2009: First round

Anyhow... as you noted, the problems began when Dumars foolishly decided to make major changes to the lineup. Holland is far too skilled to make such a silly decision.

Edited by Crymson, 05 May 2010 - 08:53 PM.

#23 FunkedUp

FunkedUp

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:15 PM

They fell off the face of the earth? News to me.

2004: Championship
2005: Finals
2006: Conference finals
2007: Conference semifinals
2008: Conference finals
2009: First round

Anyhow... as you noted, the problems began when Dumars foolishly decided to make major changes to the lineup. Holland is far too skilled to make such a silly decision.

The moves the Pistons have made are all about building for the 2010-2011 season. The 08/09-09/10 seasons are all about clearing cap space. Dumars will make big moves this summer, and the Pistons will be contending again.

#24 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:33 PM

The moves the Pistons have made are all about building for the 2010-2011 season. The 08/09-09/10 seasons are all about clearing cap space. Dumars will make big moves this summer, and the Pistons will be contending again.

I doubt it. He made big moves last summer, and they sucked; amongst them was stacking the SG position for no reason.

Whatever the case, the '08 trade was stupid and was a classic example of spoilage. There is no reason to rebuild when one has a team that is capable of making it deep into the playoffs every season. The organization and the fans simply became spoiled by success, and the level of success that they felt entitled to increased accordingly. And look where it got them---the old roster and the old team character we knew and loved is gone now, and it has been replaced by a bunch of individuals not well-known to the fanbase, a non-existent team character, and not much success.

Edited by Crymson, 05 May 2010 - 09:34 PM.

#25 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:27 PM

I doubt it. He made big moves last summer, and they sucked; amongst them was stacking the SG position for no reason.

Whatever the case, the '08 trade was stupid and was a classic example of spoilage. There is no reason to rebuild when one has a team that is capable of making it deep into the playoffs every season. The organization and the fans simply became spoiled by success, and the level of success that they felt entitled to increased accordingly. And look where it got them---the old roster and the old team character we knew and loved is gone now, and it has been replaced by a bunch of individuals not well-known to the fanbase, a non-existent team character, and not much success.

They knew what they were up against. I read somewhere that after their last Eastern Conference Finals loss, Rasheed Wallace was quoted as saying, "that's it" as far as that line-up went. From what I understand, Chauncey was ready to move on, too. Could've done a lot better than AI, though.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png