• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:08 PM

I like it, but I'd do the first year at 1m, and the second at 3m, to give him incentive to play it out.

Couldn't agree with you more.

#22 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:11 PM

All of you folks who think Holmstrom is going to take the hometown discount AGAIN are high! He took the hometown discount last time, to help the team with the Cap hit. I would expect a 2-3 year deal with a fairly decent monetary amount. The biggest factor in knocking this dollar amount down, is Homer has missed 25 games due to injury every year the past three years.

This signing though is going to be huge, in whether Lidstrom would re-up! I think Homer leaving could break a deal with Lidstrom returning. And for those who think Lidstrom is going to sign for much under 7.5 million are in for a huge shock too. How can anyone think that the arguably best defenseman in the league, much less history is going to take such a drastic pay cut.

Loyalty only goes so far.
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#23 magicaldatsyuk

magicaldatsyuk

Rookie

• Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:58 PM

homer was a huge part of the offense this past season and in previous seasons, and i think a 2-3 year deal for 5 mil wouldnt be too much.

"failing to prepare is the same as preparing for failure."- John Wooden

#24 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:04 PM

I am thinking a 2 year 2.75 million dollar deal

#25 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:17 PM

All of you folks who think Holmstrom is going to take the hometown discount AGAIN are high! He took the hometown discount last time, to help the team with the Cap hit. I would expect a 2-3 year deal with a fairly decent monetary amount. The biggest factor in knocking this dollar amount down, is Homer has missed 25 games due to injury every year the past three years.

This signing though is going to be huge, in whether Lidstrom would re-up! I think Homer leaving could break a deal with Lidstrom returning. And for those who think Lidstrom is going to sign for much under 7.5 million are in for a huge shock too. How can anyone think that the arguably best defenseman in the league, much less history is going to take such a drastic pay cut.

The reason Lids takes a pay cut is because he knows that resigning at 6.5 or more will not win him a Cup, so why even bother coming back at his age if its not for a real chance to Win. This team from this season was TERRIBLE and cannot win a cup, He knows the Wings need more depth scoring and by only giving the Wings like 1mill to spend isnt going to get him anywhere near the Cup, and Homer isnt getting more then 2mill a year and is dreaming if he thinks he is, the guy is always getting hurt and for the style he plays it is more likely to happen again. I say Homer gets a 2yr 3.5-4mill,1st year like 1.5mill 2nd 3mill, Lids i say gets a 1yr 4.5-5.5mill. we cant be putting out 3rd and 4th lines like....and expect to win.

Eaves-Helm-Cleary

Draper-Abdlekader-Miller

this is a line-up that could bring us back to the Cup if we could get a decent 3rd line Scorer like Afinegenov(not a 3rd line player but with money we save on not getting Miller,Williams back we could make a offer)thats 3 lines of good scoring and a 4th line with tons of speed that teams would hate to go against.

Franzen-Zetterberg-Holmstrom
Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Hudler
Cleary-Filppula-?(UFA)Afinegenov
Eaves-Abdelkader-Helm

#26 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:17 PM

I am thinking a 2 year 2.75 million dollar deal

Per year?

#27 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:29 PM

Per year?

yeah

As much as I want to have all these guys signed for cheap, I am trying to be a little realistic.

#28 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:33 PM

hopefully his agent was just being a dick when he said that Holmstrom was gonna demand a raise in pay,but can you REALLY see him asking for like 3 million per year and a multi-year contract,especially when we're in such a cap crunch?
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#29 T-bone

T-bone

Draftee

• 11 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:18 PM

I think homer could get 3 million per for 2 years if he wanted it, but he's going to have to leave town to do it. We're not going to be able to keep all these guys until they retire. Every year the game keeps getting faster and younger. Homer could easily take another step down again next season. His skating is already so bad, he's mostly a PP guy as it is. Holland is going to have to make some tough decisions. Both Homer and Bert want multi yr deals and both are over 35. He might only be able to get one.

Another year being jammed up against the cap so we can't make any moves at the deadline. Holland must remember, this team isn't a cup winner or runner up. WE lost in the second round in 5 games. We need to improve not be stagnant.

#30 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:24 PM

I think homer could get 3 million per for 2 years if he wanted it, but he's going to have to leave town to do it. We're not going to be able to keep all these guys until they retire. Every year the game keeps getting faster and younger. Homer could easily take another step down again next season. His skating is already so bad, he's mostly a PP guy as it is. Holland is going to have to make some tough decisions. Both Homer and Bert want multi yr deals and both are over 35. He might only be able to get one.

Another year being jammed up against the cap so we can't make any moves at the deadline. Holland must remember, this team isn't a cup winner or runner up. WE lost in the second round in 5 games. We need to improve not be stagnant.

Let Bertuzzi walk.If Holmstrom wants too much,i hate to say it,but let him walk.We need to get younger and faster like you mentioned.Signing a pair of 35+ year olds to multi-year contracts won't do it for us.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#31 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:26 PM

I am torn here, as much as I love Homer in the Winged Wheel, the words coming from his agent are like nails on a chalk board:

"Multi-Year" SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECHHHH

"NO home town discount" SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECHHHH

Sounds like Homer, well at least his agent, is thinking one last pay day to go get!

A 37 year old homer is not the same as a 37 year old Draper or Bill Guerin or even Dallas Drake, the man has taken infinitely more damage than any of those guys.

Think about it this way, since the lockout his body has taken LESS damage a year, the rules changed and he is not beat the way he used to be, yet he is older so his body more than likely can't take the same abuse it did a couple of years ago.

His body has taken a toll, and I think that deserves the Wings rewarding him, but realistically.

I would be ok with 2 years 2 - 2.5 mil total, anything more than 1.25 a year I say pass, with a huge lump in my throat!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#32 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:42 PM

I would hate to see him signed for anything more than $2mil a season for 2 years.

Posted Image

#33 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:11 PM

Wouldn't get too worked up about this. All a part of the negotiating process and it is still early.

#34 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:27 AM

If his asking for too much, let him walk Kenny. I don't care if his been with the organization for how long, it doesn't entitle him to a bigger contract due to his loyalty to the team.

He wanted a championship team, he wanted to stay in the team it's plain and simple, no one forced him he could of left easily it was his choice. Now if he wants to be greedy and ask for more then his worth well I'm sorry but he needs to go.

Every $$$ counts in the cap era, his 37 and not getting younger and I do know that there's probably no 1 that would replace him but hey I rather keep the $$$ spend else where in need. (Defense)

#35 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:08 AM

If his asking for too much, let him walk Kenny. I don't care if his been with the organization for how long, it doesn't entitle him to a bigger contract due to his loyalty to the team.

He wanted a championship team, he wanted to stay in the team it's plain and simple, no one forced him he could of left easily it was his choice. Now if he wants to be greedy and ask for more then his worth well I'm sorry but he needs to go.

Every $$$ counts in the cap era, his 37 and not getting younger and I do know that there's probably no 1 that would replace him but hey I rather keep the $$$ spend else where in need. (Defense)

I some what agree, Franzen has proven he can play Holmstrom style hockey infront of the net what he lacks in tipping he makes up with way more speed,better hands and a better shot, Wings could easily save that Cap money and sign a 2nd line scorer/power forward or use that space at trade deadline. But i think alot of this is his Agent talking and not him, why leave now you have been here your whole career ok you have 1-2 yrs left in you but if the Wings want him to stay and offer him what they can im sure he is going to take it i cant see Kenny trying to rip him off.

#36 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:26 AM

I some what agree, Franzen has proven he can play Holmstrom style hockey infront of the net what he lacks in tipping he makes up with way more speed,better hands and a better shot.

Franzen can play a Homer type role on the power play. 5-on-5, you don't really want him in front of the net. You want him in the Brett Hull areas of the ice getting ready to shoot.

#37 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:31 AM

Franzen can play a Homer type role on the power play. 5-on-5, you don't really want him in front of the net. You want him in the Brett Hull areas of the ice getting ready to shoot.

Ya im just saying Franzen can play both styles infront and slot,corners pretty much all over, were Homer is more front of the net and thats it

#38 RedFX

RedFX

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:45 AM

Here's the problem with a multi-year deal. Before this year, he started picking up alot of injuries and saw his numbers and ice time started to gradually fall. So the question is does Homer still have anything left in the tank? Or was this just one lucky year of staying healthy and being a top line contributor?
-15-
Posted Image
"I don't like to be the pony. I like to be on top." -Pavel Datsyuk

#39 FunkedUp

FunkedUp

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:15 AM

I could see Kenny offering a 3 year/5 million or 2 year/4 million. I'd be surprised if we got Homer for any cheaper.

#40 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:26 AM

As does winning.

Lidstrom $5 mil, Holmstrom 2 years, $3 mil.

Unfortunately they can't seem to see the bigger picture beyond their $$$.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.