44 replies to this topic

#41 Sprsquirt7

Sprsquirt7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:00 AM

I have 3 encounters.

1st I was held by Dennis Savard when I was a baby... my parents being hawks fans are very proud of that. Weird how i turned out to be a wings fan.

2nd One of the Hanson Brothers was my coach in HS for one year. He was the one that had the famous lines of "Machine took me f***in Quarter" and "I'm trying to listen to thef****** song!" He was actually really skilled, i think all 3 of those guys played in the NHL as very limited players.

3rd I see lots of people talking about meeting chelios and all that. Well I met a chelios, it was just his sister. I danced with Chelios' sister at a wedding for a couple songs. She's really cool, but looks pretty similar to Cheli, at least very greek looking.

#42 hgimn

hgimn

Jr. Prospect

• 26 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:04 AM

My first ever player I met was Wendal Clark at a signing event at Parts Source.He's been here a few times to sign(My dad's co-worker grew up with him)some stuff.He was here earlier this year to sign his book,and nobody was there,so I got to talk to him for 45 minutes or so.

Kyle Calder has a acreage outside of Saskatoon,and I met him at John Deere the summer after he was with the Wings when he came in to get some new belts and blades for his riding mower.I knew that he comes in there every now and then,and I had a stack of cards for him to sign under the counter but I forgot to get them signed.He's a very nice,down to earth guy and him and I talked for a good half hour.

*edit*
I forgot that Babcock came down here with the cup.I met him,got him to sign my wings cup pennant,and then he grabbed my Osgood jersey and signed it too.

There's also an outdoor rink downtown here in Saskatoon.Howe and Gretzky both showed up for some reason.Gordie signed for free,and Wayne wanted money to sign autographs for kids.I was really disgusted by this.I meant I dislike the guy to begin with,but when you do something like that,it shows that you don't appreciate your fans.

Edited by hgimn, 28 May 2010 - 04:19 AM.

#43 letsgowings11

letsgowings11

Jr. Prospect

• 15 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:05 AM

Lidstrom for me was the best experience I have ever had. It was 1999 at the shark tank after a tie. All the other good players sped off but Brent Gilchrist and Lidstrom walked out and talked to me and my dad.

The worst was Gretzky. Met him at pebble beach golf course at the pro am. I was so excited to see that he was signing autographs and when he was close to me told him how much of a hockey fan I was. He looked at me and skipped me. I got the last laugh tho cuz as soon as he passed I told him he was overrated and Yzerman was better than him ne ways.

#44 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:46 AM

met Gordie Howe a little over a month ago, never thought i would get to met him seeing as I live in Wyoming but he came here for a benefit for youth hockey. the venue it was at was 1/2 a block from my building so i just walked there about 5 minutes before it started. As i was walking up to the door i see about 5 people going in and tailing behind them was Mr. Hockey himself, i slowed down cuz i didn't know how tight the security was for him and didn't want to get in trouble. He goes in and about 10 seconds later I go in and see him and the group of guys with him waiting for the elevator. the doors open as i start into the hallway and they crowd in, i knew that i would be waiting for it to come down as it was pretty stuffed and they didn't know me. but as i'm standing their waiting for the doors to close one the guys says "you coming" and i stood there for a couple beats with my jaw on the floor and said "ya". Gordie looked at my wings hat and said "whatcha got on your hat there?" me being completely star struck just said "Hello Mr. Howe" they laughed and then I just stared at Gordie and listened to him talk about how he couldn't walk around saskatchewan after he signed with the wings, that was and will be the best elevator ride of my life. the elevator opened and i walked out and got in line to enter the event and he walked passed everybody in line and into the event

the set up wasn't that great as he just walked into the room and everybody surrounded him and you just hoped he turned to you and got to talk to him. i waited about 10 minutes and he turned to me and he signed my wings hat and i got a picture with him, he didnt remember me from the elevator but thats ok with me.

I would still like to meet Yzerman, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and konstantinov.

#45 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:37 AM

Mine was after a weekend game vs. the Avs. A few hours after the game I went to best buy for DVDs and saw Mac there. I walked up to him and said that he had a great fight and that I was sorry that I wasn't wearing the Mac jersey for him to sign. He said that the front is what matters. Got a signature though and found out he's a real cool dude off the ice too. Here's the fight.

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Referees

HTBanner400x100.jpg