• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Heaten

Fire sale in Chicago?

Rate this topic

Also, Jonathan Toews gets a $1.3 million bonus for winning the Conn Smythe. Because it wouldn't fit on Chicago's cap from this past season, it carries over to the 2010/11 season.

Ouch, I forgot about that. Just another proverbial kick in the crotch for the Hawks. :cool:

WERE HAVING A FIRE! sale

:lol: Plus 1 for the Arrested Development reference.

"Oh, my God! We're having a fire ... sale! Oh, the burning, it burns me! Evacuate all of the school children! Ama...This isn't a fever! ... zing grace... I can't even see where the knob is!"

"No I did not book this one. I think I made the fire too real for them."

:lol:

Guest mindfly

Must be fun for the chicago owners to pay 8million dollars for campbell to play in the minors :hehe:

Guest CaliWingsNut

Hilarious that Campbell gets as much as he does and most likely belongs on the Oilers or the minors. Oh, Chicago, thought having a Bowman running the show the management of all this math would be a little better.

What's bowman done but ride the season out?

He came into power over a stacked team mid season. The only chance he had to change anything yet was the trade deadline, and well, looks like he made the right decisions so far.

Edit: what I find sad is it took Quinnville taking S. Bowman's suggestions for the team to win.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

What's bowman done but ride the season out?

He came into power over a stacked team mid season. The only chance he had to change anything yet was the trade deadline, and well, looks like he made the right decisions so far.

Edit: what I find sad is it took Quinnville taking S. Bowman's suggestions for the team to win.

May be true but does anyone have an answer for why Brian Campbell deserves 1/4 of this? I mean good for them for overpaying, doesn't affect me. But sweet lord no one has been overpaid this much since, well the Blackhawks overpaid Khabibulin.

May be true but does anyone have an answer for why Brian Campbell deserves 1/4 of this? I mean good for them for overpaying, doesn't affect me. But sweet lord no one has been overpaid this much since, well the Blackhawks overpaid Khabibulin.

Scott Gomez

Guest Crymson

I for one think its great that if the Toews 1.3 mill for the Smythe is a cap hit. And fully realize that it looks Chicago did a lot of fail type contract negotiations. But question, are incentives thrown into the cap mix?

Incentives always count towards the cap. Were this not the case, GMs could pay players a tiny base salary and give them a bunch of bogus incentives (i.e. $5m for playing ten games) to make up the rest of the money for the player.

Incentives always count towards the cap. Were this not the case, GMs could pay players a tiny base salary and give them a bunch of bogus incentives (i.e. $5m for playing ten games) to make up the rest of the money for the player.

Yeah my bad. Just not a cap guy but that's great then. I mean I realize rewarding a guy for great play and they love him there in the city and the org (rightfully so). But damn 1.3 haha, should be real interesting this off season then. Fire sale, maybe not but they have to unload a ton of depth thats for sure.

I think people are overestimating the fire sale. They need to get rid of a few players, but very few crucial players. Most of them could be replaced with some cheap role players.

Remember, they copied the Wings style of play and won. Now they will copy the Wings pattern of signing cheap has-beens to rejuvinate their career.

Hawks will be 2nd in the division next season, 4th in the conference. Wings 1st, of course.

Guest mindfly

Nothing official report but sources also say both Toews and Kane maximized their A-bonuses and also as mentioned Toews got the B-bonus by winning the conn smythe (A-bonuses goals/assists/points, B-bonuses all major awards etc)

Both reached their goal for bonuses they set up when they signed the contract so the hawks will have 4 freakin million extra hitting the cap next season, they are f***ed

Nothing official report but sources also say both Toews and Kane maximized their A-bonuses and also as mentioned Toews got the B-bonus by winning the conn smythe (A-bonuses goals/assists/points, B-bonuses all major awards etc)

Both reached their goal for bonuses they set up when they signed the contract so the hawks will have 4 freakin million extra hitting the cap next season, they are f***ed

And the hits just keep on coming! clap.gif

Still think a healthier Wings team = Not worrying about s***cago's crap situation.

Guest mindfly

toews avoided getting points in the finals as much as possible for a reason :hehe:

It was already too late :cool:

Guest Crymson

toews avoided getting points in the finals as much as possible for a reason :hehe:

I believe incentives are included in the cap regardless of whether or not they are paid out.

I read a little bit more about the bonus issues and according to this news article the total bonus hit added to next year's salary is roughly $5,000,000. The Hawks may be much, much worse off than was even thought.

The NHL’s cap this season was $56.8-million, and it’s expected to rise for next year close to $58.5-million. According to capgeek.com’s archives, Chicago finished 2009-10 with less than $300,000 in available space under the cap – before bonuses are added in.

And that’s where things get really grim.

The only two Blackhawks regulars with bonuses on their contracts this season were Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews, who had a combined $5-million of them available. We heard yesterday from TSN’s James Duthie that Toews earned a $1.3-million bonus for winning the Conn Smythe Trophy, which puts Chicago over the cap at least $1-million.

What wasn’t revealed was the fact that both players hit all of their entry-level bonuses this season, meaning an extra $5-million in addition to their base salaries against the cap. It’s exceptionally complicated to calculate exactly how far over the Blackhawks now are, but in looking at the numbers and talking to a few people today, I believe it to be about $4-million.

Teams are only allowed to exceed the salary cap due to bonuses and long-term injury exemptions and only then by a maximum of 7.5 per cent. Chicago came very, very close to that mark this season.

Here’s the relevant portion of the CBA on how that “excess” is dealt with:

“To the extent a Club’s Averaged Club Salary exceeds its Upper Limit as a result of: (i) Exhibit 5 Individual ‘A’ Performance Bonuses and ‘B’ Performance Bonuses paid by the Club that may be earned by Players in the Entry Level System and (ii) Performance Bonuses that may be earned by Players pursuant to Section 50.2(b)(i)© above, then the Club's Upper Limit for the next League Year shall be reduced by an amount equal to such excess.”

That $4-million, in other words, is coming off next year's cap.

Both Kane and Toews were still on entry-level deals this year, and a Conn Smythe bonus fits under the ‘B’ Performance Bonus category as a major league award (a bonus category that maxes out at $2-million in a given season). Toews received $1.3-million from the Blackhawks and another $250,000 from the league for being named MVP.

‘A’ Performance Bonuses, meanwhile, are things like number of goals, assists and points, targets that are set by teams, players and their agents when the contract is signed and that max out at $850,000 a season.

Both players maxed out all of their ‘A’ and ‘B’ bonuses this year to push their team over the cap, meaning that while every other team will be working with about a $58.5-million cap next season, Chicago’s cap "penalty" will mean a ceiling of closer to $54.5-million.

And the Blackhawks already have $57.6-million in salary commitments with only 14 players signed for next season

Link to the Article

Edited by Frozen-Man

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

I don't really think the Whole Conne Smythe Trophy bonus is fair, but this made me ultra happy.

Guest mindfly

It's their GM that got them that bonus thingy included in their contract.. "if we win the cup and toews lead the way winning the conn smythe i will gladly accept those 1.3M" i think it's pretty close on how they were thinking