Zenon Konopka

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#141 chrisyo

chrisyo

Knuckles

• 33 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:59 PM

Konopka showed last year he can fend off the most in the NHL out of anyone with 33 fights. If he plays a little dirty and has the other team off their game then I think he is even more valuable. He's a pretty average 4th line guy.

We'll have Abdelkader next year who can fight, Ericcson and possibly a tough number 6 defenseman or Janik in the line up fairly often. That is a team that can handle itself.

You think when Konopka elbows Legwand in the head and puts him out for the game Belak & Tootoo are going to be offering Ericcson or Abdelkader a chance to stand up? No there going to take off Franzen's head and there isn't a single thing Abdelkader or Ericcson could do as they aren't even fighters. 2-3 fights a season doesn't make you a fighter even in this pansy league.

Who did Konopka fight last year to say he could fend for himself? A bunch of middleweights in a division that consisted of:

Washington: Matt Bradley
Florida: Greg Campbell
Atlanta: Eric Boulton
Carolina: Tim Conboy

yeah he sure needed to fend for himself in that tough division. <_<

Now he comes into this division playing that way and there are players who are going to eat the weak ass Wings alive like Boll, Sestito, Eager, Burish, Tootoo, Crombeen and on and on who can play much dirtier then Konopka because they can actually skate good enough to injure players when they want.

Basically the Wings are getting by just fine having honest tough guys like May & Downey who aren't going to get there stick up or elbow up. The Wings have done a great job of not waking the sleeping bear in this division and Konopka will wake him and the Wings players will pay for it and I'm not talking about the 4th liners or 7th d-men. All the guys I mentioned hit much harder then Konopka and most of which could do a number on him with the gloves off at that.

Holland isn't dumb enough to try and sign a guy like Konopka, end of story we can argue this for the next 60 years but fact is Holland knows what he is doing and he isn't getting a dirty pest unless its a guy like Cooke who can play great hockey to go with starting s***. Regardless you need a tough guy to play with the pests, especially in a much more physical westcoast then TB would need in the weakest division in the league.

If he wants a tough grinder he is getting Asham not Konopka.

Edited by chrisyo, 22 June 2010 - 10:00 PM.

#142 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:28 PM

You think when Konopka elbows Legwand in the head and puts him out for the game Belak & Tootoo are going to be offering Ericcson or Abdelkader a chance to stand up? No there going to take off Franzen's head and there isn't a single thing Abdelkader or Ericcson could do as they aren't even fighters. 2-3 fights a season doesn't make you a fighter even in this pansy league.

Who did Konopka fight last year to say he could fend for himself? A bunch of middleweights in a division that consisted of:

Washington: Matt Bradley
Florida: Greg Campbell
Atlanta: Eric Boulton
Carolina: Tim Conboy

yeah he sure needed to fend for himself in that tough division. <_<

Now he comes into this division playing that way and there are players who are going to eat the weak ass Wings alive like Boll, Sestito, Eager, Burish, Tootoo, Crombeen and on and on who can play much dirtier then Konopka because they can actually skate good enough to injure players when they want.

Basically the Wings are getting by just fine having honest tough guys like May & Downey who aren't going to get there stick up or elbow up. The Wings have done a great job of not waking the sleeping bear in this division and Konopka will wake him and the Wings players will pay for it and I'm not talking about the 4th liners or 7th d-men. All the guys I mentioned hit much harder then Konopka and most of which could do a number on him with the gloves off at that.

Holland isn't dumb enough to try and sign a guy like Konopka, end of story we can argue this for the next 60 years but fact is Holland knows what he is doing and he isn't getting a dirty pest unless its a guy like Cooke who can play great hockey to go with starting s***. Regardless you need a tough guy to play with the pests, especially in a much more physical westcoast then TB would need in the weakest division in the league.

If he wants a tough grinder he is getting Asham not Konopka.

Well if you look at who he fought last year, Boris Valabik 6'7
Ivanans 6'4 250 pounds, Ben Eager, Big Troy Bodie, Chris Neil, PL3 who is a tough customer and your middleweights like you said such as Asham.

To say he will signh onest tough guys but then sign May last year who was a dirty bastard in his hey day is pretty stupid.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#143 chrisyo

chrisyo

Knuckles

• 33 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:58 PM

Well if you look at who he fought last year, Boris Valabik 6'7
Ivanans 6'4 250 pounds, Ben Eager, Big Troy Bodie, Chris Neil, PL3 who is a tough customer and your middleweights like you said such as Asham.

To say he will signh onest tough guys but then sign May last year who was a dirty bastard in his hey day is pretty stupid.

Oh yeah because May was all over the ice throwing cheap shots on players last year. May was dirty when he had guys like Rob Ray, Jim McKenzie, Donald Brashear etc. he knew his team could fend for themselves. He even played a chippy game with the Ducks when they had a tough team, then he was traded to Toronto who didn't have any toughness and wasn't very chippy, then signed with the Wings and again wasn't dirty. May is a veteran who knows what he is doing. Konopka is a hot head who wasn't even a tough guy until Jon Mirasty was bailing his ass out back in Syracuse. He realized that was how he was going to make the NHL. He wouldn't have lived long if he was playing out in the Atlantic division with the likes of Godard, Shelley, Cote, Peters, PL3 wanting to kick his ass night in and night out.

You can waste my time all you want but it doesn't change the fact that it's true. Konopka is a crappy player and should be rideing shotgun to Boogaard in Tampa next year. Not playing tough guy for the Wings.

Tampa had Walker, Fedoruk, Malone, Downie, Veilleux & even Ohlund who could all fend for themselves a s*** ton more then anyone on the Wings can. You really think Konopka is going to be able to get away with s*** without having that many guys on the team?

This is what happens when you have Konopka on your team:

Konopka took advantage of Chris Phillips earlier in the game then wouldn't fight Chris Neil & Carkner and Carkner took it out on Downie...then as soon as that happens Konopka wants to be the tough guy and act like he is going after Carkner. The same game it was Matt Walker defending Konopka's actions earlier by fighting Neil.

Neil takes out Hedman hard because Konopka and Downie are running around...which is something that will happen to the Wings a lot with a guy like Konopka running around.

Also Brashear was pissed about Konopka jumping Brian Boyle and flattened Stampkos extremely late then beat up on Walker who wouldn't fight him...again thanks to Konopka.

I'm sure I could find more cases of how bad things could turn out for the Wings with a guy like this but I will save what little time I get from you. Bottom line is that was a pretty team tough Tampa Bay team that Konopka was leading...they still got manhandled because of Konopka's actions what do you think is going to happen with a team like Detroit that half the team has never had a fighting major? There going to get beat up on like a bad habit.

It's not a insult to the Wings players, there are guys who are signed to fill the role of tough guys and Holland hasn't been filling that roll besides maybe 1 roster spot a season if Wings fans are lucky.

It's also not a insult to Konopka. I love the way he plays, but he is going to do more harm for the Wings then actually "enforce" for them unless he tones down his play. Konopka needs to play on a tough team with his style and the Wings isn't that tough team.

#144 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:23 AM

Oh yeah because May was all over the ice throwing cheap shots on players last year. May was dirty when he had guys like Rob Ray, Jim McKenzie, Donald Brashear etc. he knew his team could fend for themselves. He even played a chippy game with the Ducks when they had a tough team, then he was traded to Toronto who didn't have any toughness and wasn't very chippy, then signed with the Wings and again wasn't dirty. May is a veteran who knows what he is doing. Konopka is a hot head who wasn't even a tough guy until Jon Mirasty was bailing his ass out back in Syracuse. He realized that was how he was going to make the NHL. He wouldn't have lived long if he was playing out in the Atlantic division with the likes of Godard, Shelley, Cote, Peters, PL3 wanting to kick his ass night in and night out.

You can waste my time all you want but it doesn't change the fact that it's true. Konopka is a crappy player and should be rideing shotgun to Boogaard in Tampa next year. Not playing tough guy for the Wings.

Tampa had Walker, Fedoruk, Malone, Downie, Veilleux & even Ohlund who could all fend for themselves a s*** ton more then anyone on the Wings can. You really think Konopka is going to be able to get away with s*** without having that many guys on the team?

This is what happens when you have Konopka on your team:

Konopka took advantage of Chris Phillips earlier in the game then wouldn't fight Chris Neil & Carkner and Carkner took it out on Downie...then as soon as that happens Konopka wants to be the tough guy and act like he is going after Carkner. The same game it was Matt Walker defending Konopka's actions earlier by fighting Neil.

Neil takes out Hedman hard because Konopka and Downie are running around...which is something that will happen to the Wings a lot with a guy like Konopka running around.

Also Brashear was pissed about Konopka jumping Brian Boyle and flattened Stampkos extremely late then beat up on Walker who wouldn't fight him...again thanks to Konopka.

I'm sure I could find more cases of how bad things could turn out for the Wings with a guy like this but I will save what little time I get from you. Bottom line is that was a pretty team tough Tampa Bay team that Konopka was leading...they still got manhandled because of Konopka's actions what do you think is going to happen with a team like Detroit that half the team has never had a fighting major? There going to get beat up on like a bad habit.

It's not a insult to the Wings players, there are guys who are signed to fill the role of tough guys and Holland hasn't been filling that roll besides maybe 1 roster spot a season if Wings fans are lucky.

It's also not a insult to Konopka. I love the way he plays, but he is going to do more harm for the Wings then actually "enforce" for them unless he tones down his play. Konopka needs to play on a tough team with his style and the Wings isn't that tough team.

None of those videos proved anything. Basically what I got from that was that Konopka is fast enough to beat Kelly in on the forecheck and that Downie is a good teammate that stuck up for the young defenseman.

Youre saying Konopka running around made Neil start running around but thats complete bull s***. If Neil gets the chance to make that hit he makes it every single time, its the way he plays.

As for Brashear being pissed at Konopka then smoking Stamkkos, If we sign an enforcer that doesn't jump Boyle in that situation then we are wasting our money. Boyle complete cross check from behind and got what is coming to him. Once again, Brashear is going to make hits like that regardless of if the wings are dressing an enforcer.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#145 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:47 AM

Your statement: "About that body declining. I wouldn't say it's shortly after 30 when player's body starts to decline. I'd say it's closer to 35 than 30. In fact I don't know any player who at age of 33 for example have started to decline." If you really believe this, you're an imbicile. Look at the statistics, they don't lie. A huge majority players have started their decline before the age of 33. Just admit you got caught talking out of your ass and go on your way.

Your body doesn't start declining. You may have had injuries like I said. Injuries are injuries. Yeah, I admit players stats have declined after 33. What is your take in this whole conversation by the way? Can't you just drop it already?
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#146 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:48 AM

Your body doesn't start declining. You may have had injuries like I said. Injuries are injuries. Yeah, I admit players stats have declined after 33. What is your take in this whole conversation by the way? Can't you just drop it already?

I'm trying to stick out of this argument but I will say this, at 33 an average guys body might not be declining. But as a pro athlete your body is very much on the downturna round the age 33.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#147 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:53 AM

It was thrown out there in the middle of all this, but Abby will not only fight 2-3 times next year. He is not an enforcer by any means but put it in the bank, Babs wants him dropping them waayyyy more. Captain Obvious has entered the forums!! ;)

Edited by HankthaTank, 23 June 2010 - 10:54 AM.

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#148 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:56 AM

It was thrown out there in the middle of all this, but Abby will not fight 2-3 times next year. Put it in the bank, Babs wants him dropping them waayyyy more. Captain Obvious has entered the forums!! ;)

if he is anything like when he got sent down to GR I expect 10 fights minimum out of abby this year :)

Hopefully he ditches the shield and works on his technique this summer and gets stronger to use his 6'2 215 lbs frame
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#149 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:59 AM

Hopefully he ditches the shield and works on his technique this summer and gets stronger to use his 6'2 215 lbs frame

ABsolutely! Yeah, that was corny... But for sure ditch the shield and don't throw blind punches spinning in circles and still find a way to run into the boards!! He is a hot mess on the ice sometimes but he is already a huge fan favorite so hopefully he gets that tech down.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#150 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:49 AM

I agree,Abdelkader needs to ditch the windshield.But as long as he takes the bucket off before he starts throwing,I'm fine with it.He won't get any respect when it comes to the rough stuff if he's gonna be throwing with a visor on.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#151 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:23 PM

It was thrown out there in the middle of all this, but Abby will not only fight 2-3 times next year. He is not an enforcer by any means but put it in the bank, Babs wants him dropping them waayyyy more. Captain Obvious has entered the forums!! ;)

Yeah I saw that too and just didn't comment. Abdelkader had 3 fights in the playoffs last year alone lol. Abby by himself will probably fight somewhere between 5 and 10 times next year. Figuratively speaking if we sign Konopka that line would raise some serious hell but Abby wouldn't have to fight as much which could let him work on his scoring touch. I would still expect 5-10 fights but Konopka would be stepping in for most of them. I bet if the 4th line was Abby Eaves and Konopka even Eaves would step up and fight about 5 times next year.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#152 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:57 PM

Yeah I saw that too and just didn't comment. Abdelkader had 3 fights in the playoffs last year alone lol. Abby by himself will probably fight somewhere between 5 and 10 times next year. Figuratively speaking if we sign Konopka that line would raise some serious hell but Abby wouldn't have to fight as much which could let him work on his scoring touch. I would still expect 5-10 fights but Konopka would be stepping in for most of them. I bet if the 4th line was Abby Eaves and Konopka even Eaves would step up and fight about 5 times next year.

The more I think about it, the further Konopka drops on my list... if we're looking bargain, I'd rather us bring in someone like Brian McGrattan or Krys Barch...

with that said, I'd still rather us go out and get a QUALITY player that just happens to be able to fight as well and spend a little extra -

1. Arron Asham
2. Eric Nystrom
3. Brad Winchester
4. Ethan Moreau (if bought out)
--bargain--
5. Jarred Boll
6. Brian McGrattan
7. Krys Barch
8. Zenon Konopka
9. Erik Boulton
10. Raitis Ivanans

EDIT - Went a little overboard with my comparison and corrected rankings

Edited by stevkrause, 23 June 2010 - 01:13 PM.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#153 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:03 PM

Can you imagine Brian McGrattan patrolling the ice at the Joe?? :ninja:

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#154 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:03 PM

The more I think about it, the further Konopka drops on my list... if we're looking bargain, I'd rather us bring in someone like Raitis Ivanans, Brian McGrattan or Krys Barch...

with that said, I'd still rather us go out and get a QUALITY player that just happens to be able to fight as well and spend a little extra -

1. Arron Asham
2. Eric Nystrom
3. Brad Winchester
4. Ethan Moreau (if bought out)
--bargain--
5. Jarred Boll
6. Brian McGrattan
7. Raitis Ivanans
8. Krys Barch
9. Zenon Konopka
10. Erik Boulton

We're signing a 4th liner. How many 4th liners in todays NHL are really quality. Draper gives us about 9 minutes a night, so whats the difference if we get Konopka who gives us 8 minutes plus the thought in the back of the players minds that he'll stick up for them.

Nystrom, asham or Winchester would be sweet but theyre going to cost us more and are more like 3rd liners then a 4th line cheap guy. Besides Boll, Konopka is amuch better player then the other enforcers you listed. Boulton is a huge plug, Mcgratton is tough as nails but can't play, and Ivanans is the worst of them all. Konopka is going to give us more offense then Maltby or May did last year. Playing on a decent 4th line with Eaves and Abby, Konopka might actually get back that scoring touch he had in the AHL.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#155 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:12 PM

We're signing a 4th liner. How many 4th liners in todays NHL are really quality. Draper gives us about 9 minutes a night, so whats the difference if we get Konopka who gives us 8 minutes plus the thought in the back of the players minds that he'll stick up for them.

Nystrom, asham or Winchester would be sweet but theyre going to cost us more and are more like 3rd liners then a 4th line cheap guy. Besides Boll, Konopka is amuch better player then the other enforcers you listed. Boulton is a huge plug, Mcgratton is tough as nails but can't play, and Ivanans is the worst of them all. Konopka is going to give us more offense then Maltby or May did last year. Playing on a decent 4th line with Eaves and Abby, Konopka might actually get back that scoring touch he had in the AHL.

I don't like the cheapshots and if we're going to get someone for dirt cheap, to play a very limited role, I'd almost rather him be a heavy... with that said, with the inflator, I don't think we need to settle for a discount guy and Winchester, Nystrom and Boll could all be had for likely less than a million, Asham on the other hand, might cost a little more...

I don't know, I concede that I went a little over the top putting Ivanans over him, but I still would take McGrattan over him at this point, as I he's a VERY legit heavy and if we're going discount, I'd take that over a guy who is going to likely take stupid penalties at bad times like Konopka is known to do...

EDIT - I fixed my initial list

Edited by stevkrause, 23 June 2010 - 01:13 PM.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#156 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:13 PM

As far as the salary issue goes,bottom line is we shouldn't be paying a 4th liner a mil,no excuses.That's what I like about Boll and Konopka is that they both can skate relatively well,throw hits,fight anyone,and chip in a little bit on offense,for ~ 600 K.Absolutely ridiculous to spend so much on a 4th liner.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#157 soonboomer

soonboomer

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:24 PM

Your body does in fact start declining, especially the physical aspect involved in being a professional athlete. If that were not the case, alot of athletes would have their peak performance years in their mid to late 30's as opposed to their twenties (See Gretzky, Yzerman, Messier, Jagr, Brett Hull, Roenick, Modano, and many other recent retirees.) And yes, I'll gladly drop it if you will.

#158 chrisyo

chrisyo

Knuckles

• 33 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:26 PM

I'd love to have McGrattan or Ivanans but I don't see Holland signing either. Sure they are easily the best "enforcers" on the market and McGrattan can beat any guy in the league on any given night. Ivanans a little less so but can hang with anyone.

I just don't see Holland signing a guy like McGrattan who won't get all that much ice time, won't chip in offensively all that often(all though playing on the Wings 4th line could make him have a career year) and really isn't going to add anything besides intimidation & fighting.

I'd still love to see McGrattan get a chance with the Wings. He would be absolutely loved by the fans and would give the Wings more room on the ice then a guy like Barch who wouldn't scare a turtle.

#159 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:39 PM

People would throw riots if Halfway through the season,we had to deal with ANOTHER fan favorite sent down to Grand Rapids.McGrattan jerseys would sell just as fast as Datsyuk jerseys :P I'd love to have McGrattan here!but I don't wanna see him rot in the minors...

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#160 Hockey Convert

Hockey Convert

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

People would throw riots if Halfway through the season,we had to deal with ANOTHER fan favorite sent down to Grand Rapids.McGrattan jerseys would sell just as fast as Datsyuk jerseys. I'd love to have McGrattan here!but I don't wanna see him rot in the minors...

That worries me too. I'd like to have someone who will go to the playoffs with the team.