• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:25 PM

He returned from having missed 19 games for major reconstructive jaw surgery, and almost immediately thereafter hit the ice for the playoffs. Having major jaw surgery is an utterly draining experience. One cannot eat solid food for some time, and one absolutely cannot exercise for a good while. Cleary no doubt lost a very significant amount of strength and conditioning during that period---and upon returning, he was almost immediately thrust into the middle of playoff hockey. That's not easy.

He still played very well.

Yeah I remember he dropped about 15 pounds or so and came back playing without gaining even 5 back I believe.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#42 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:21 AM

Here's a nice Cleary article: http://blog.mlive.co..._permanent.html

It goes over how he chose to risk permanent nerve damage---via taking a surgery with faster recovery over another that would be safer but would require a longer convalescence---in order to return to the lineup faster after his jaw injury in '08.

#43 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:05 PM

As expected, NBC refused to take responsibility for his statements. So did the fellow who originally bashed Cleary in this thread.

I suppose it follows that those who make uninformed statements will take steps to avoid being held accountable for them.

#44 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:09 PM

Cleary will silence the critics. I really cannot wait for it to happen. Having this guy with any added motivation could be quite scary. Let's hope it happens.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#45 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:37 PM

He returned from having missed 19 games for major reconstructive jaw surgery, and almost immediately thereafter hit the ice for the playoffs. Having major jaw surgery is an utterly draining experience. One cannot eat solid food for some time, and one absolutely cannot exercise for a good while. Cleary no doubt lost a very significant amount of strength and conditioning during that period---and upon returning, he was almost immediately thrust into the middle of playoff hockey. That's not easy.

He still played very well.

I would like to see anyone not eat solid food for a month or so and try to play professional hockey in the NHL!

Cleary is one hell of a player! I am so excited to see him 100% healthy, and motivated for the upcoming season!

#46 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:51 PM

Cleary is a warrior.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#47 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:21 AM

One of the most underrated players on the team. This guy is an absolute warrior, he plays through so much. A healthy motivated Cleary can and will earn every cent of his contract everybody seems to hate. He can play the PP, the PK, he plays a very hard gritty game and goes to the dirtiest areas of the ice. In my eyes he is a very valuable player.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#48 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:26 AM

I don't know why so many people want to see him traded.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman