• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:45 PM

I just wrote up about a page and by the time I hit submit, I lost internet connection and now I have to re-type all of it. f***. my. life. Actually, I don't even have the work ethic to re-type it. It was basically a rant about how we shouldn't give up Tatar bc he is the number one prospect in our system and shows a lot of potential and how we would have to give up too much to get Doughty or Weber. IMO, Chara would be the best choice.

^ cliff note version
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image

#42 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:53 PM

why are we talking about trading for Doughty when its possible we could send him a huge offer sheet next summer? in the event that he does re-sign with LA i dont think they would trade him away for anything...if we want to get him our only shot will be next summer with an offer sheet...

oh how I pray for that day....
be about it!

#43 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:50 AM

dont even think of offering Smith or Tatar as trade options. Both of these guys are going to be top players for the Wings for years to come. the young kid over in Sweden (if he can put 20LB on) ALMQVIST is a big prospect, another latter round gem in the making, he has Lidstrom like savvy. needs to improve his skating thou.
I do think the big question here is can Kronwall raise his game to the next level? He doesn't find the back of the net enough to be anywhere what we need as a top pairing guy. 23 goals in 300+ reg games 9 of which were on the PP dont cut it really. Lids had almost double the amount at the same time in his career, yes Lids is different class but Kronwall was taken in the 1st round.
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#44 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:26 AM

dont even think of offering Smith or Tatar as trade options. Both of these guys are going to be top players for the Wings for years to come. the young kid over in Sweden (if he can put 20LB on) ALMQVIST is a big prospect, another latter round gem in the making, he has Lidstrom like savvy. needs to improve his skating thou.
I do think the big question here is can Kronwall raise his game to the next level? He doesn't find the back of the net enough to be anywhere what we need as a top pairing guy. 23 goals in 300+ reg games 9 of which were on the PP dont cut it really. Lids had almost double the amount at the same time in his career, yes Lids is different class but Kronwall was taken in the 1st round.

that's what I'm sayin
Posted Image

#45 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:46 AM

dont even think of offering Smith or Tatar as trade options. Both of these guys are going to be top players for the Wings for years to come.

Even if it means landing the soon to be premier defensemen in the NHL? Smith MAY become a great defensemen. Doughty, at the age of 20, already is, and at a level Smith will most probably never reach.
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#46 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:32 AM

I'd like to see Jovo come here. I know I may be in the minority on that, but he's a Windsor native, and I loved when he was a Canuck. It probably won't happen, but I'd love to see it.

#47 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:44 AM

didnt weber just get named preds captain a couple weeks ago? that would leave me to believe that hes going no where...
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#48 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:29 AM

Yeah maybe Chara is a good option until Smith and Almqvist etc is totally ready... he is UFA too so just gotta give him the big cash and good chance to win cup etc (right :D)

Edited by mindfly, 26 July 2010 - 07:29 AM.

#49 Petrafire

Petrafire

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:40 AM

Niklas Kronwall with more ice time would definately have a career year for points

#50 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

Even if it means landing the soon to be premier defensemen in the NHL? Smith MAY become a great defensemen. Doughty, at the age of 20, already is, and at a level Smith will most probably never reach.

I agree, but there's no way LA lets Doughty get away, that's a franchise type player...

My hopes are that Ericsson and/or Kindl take big enough strides forward this season, that we can justify one of them being a top 4 guy and that Kronwall finally takes that top 2 form that he is VERY capable of, combine that with Smith taking that next leap and making the roster, then we roll with it until Rafalski retires the year after and maybe THEN, we make a FA signing, hopefully targeting Brett Burns from MIN, or Ryan Sutter from NSH along with re-signing Kronwall -

2011 -
Kronwall -Rafalski
Stuart - Ericsson/Kindl
Smith - Ericsson/Kindl

2012 -
Kronwall - Burns
Stuart - Ericsson/Kindl
Smith - Ericsson/Kindl

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#51 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:19 AM

Here's the way I see it. In today's NHL, drafting and player development is more important than it has ever been. While it would be great to get Doughty (obviously) I question whether it would really be worth it or not. I see people on here throwing out names of prospects like Tatar, but I find that completely ridiculous. Tatar is the number one prospect in our system. He is also the youngest player to ever play in the AHL. I mean come one guys, he is only 19 years old! He has the chance to be something special. You also have to keep in mind that by the time he hits his prime, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Franzen will all be on the tail end of their careers (what did you guys think they would play forever?). Eventually, somebody will have to replace them. Scouts and Wings' brass believes Tatar can do that, so why package him for Doughty? Just because we all think that once Nick leaves its all star defensemen or bust?

Yeah maybe Chara is a good option until Smith and Almqvist etc is totally ready... he is UFA too so just gotta give him the big cash and good chance to win cup etc (right :D)

Chara, IMO, would be a good replacement. He has a few years left and can still play first line minutes. He's got a booming shot (obviously, NHL record) and he absolutely punishes opponents (except for Datsyuk :cool: ). I feel like by the time Chara's career is over, our young guns will be ready to step in and get the job done. However, it is very unlikely that the Bruins will not resign him before he becomes a UFA.
Posted Image

#52 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

Offer sheet to Bogosian, if we could lock him up for a few years that would rock. He is going to be a damn good hockey player.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#53 Hockey Convert

Hockey Convert

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:30 AM

Here's the way I see it. In today's NHL, drafting and player development is more important than it has ever been... Eventually, somebody will have to replace them. Scouts and Wings' brass believes Tatar can do that, so why package him for Doughty? Just because we all think that once Nick leaves its all star defensemen or bust?

I agree with this heartily. Nick retiring will definitely leave a gap, but I don't think that means we should try at all costs to fill that gap exactly. As many have pointed out, there's really no "replacing" Nick; so I think there may be more shuffling to build other strengths, and solidify the defense rather than just trying to find a snap-in part to play Lidstrom v2.0. Babcock, Holland et al. will have to make that call, and decide how to fill the gap. Maybe they will choose to give up prospects. That approach just makes me uncomfortable, though, and I hope it doesn't come to that.

#54 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:38 AM

As much as I'd like to see Jovanovski here,he doesn't make the team much younger.No way Los Angeles let's Doughty go.Weber won't leave Nashville,especially after being named team captain.I think Tim Gleason would be a great addition.Hard hitter,plays solid on both ends.I wouldn't mind seeing Chara either.Brent Seabrook would look good in a Wings jersey.Someone mentioned Bogosian,wouldn't have a problem with that.Keith Yandle played well against us in the playoffs last year.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#55 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:41 AM

Its been my dream to see Doughty in a Wings uniform. He's my favorite non-Wing player and I'd be willing to part with Zetterberg if need be to get him here.

#56 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:23 PM

Its been my dream to see Doughty in a Wings uniform. He's my favorite non-Wing player and I'd be willing to part with Zetterberg if need be to get him here.

Hate to burst your bubble, but I don't think that Holland will trade a guy he gave a 12 year contract to and the future captain of the team
Posted Image

#57 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

Hate to burst your bubble, but I don't think that Holland will trade a guy he gave a 12 year contract to and the future captain of the team

I'm not expecting him to in the least. Similarly, I'm not expecting Doughty to come to Detroit in the least. I do think Doughty's value to our team for the next decade would be greater than any player that we currently have, though.

#58 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:36 PM

Here's the way I see it. In today's NHL, drafting and player development is more important than it has ever been. While it would be great to get Doughty (obviously) I question whether it would really be worth it or not. I see people on here throwing out names of prospects like Tatar, but I find that completely ridiculous. Tatar is the number one prospect in our system. He is also the youngest player to ever play in the AHL. I mean come one guys, he is only 19 years old! He has the chance to be something special. You also have to keep in mind that by the time he hits his prime, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Franzen will all be on the tail end of their careers (what did you guys think they would play forever?). Eventually, somebody will have to replace them. Scouts and Wings' brass believes Tatar can do that, so why package him for Doughty? Just because we all think that once Nick leaves its all star defensemen or bust?

I was suggesting the trade with my assumption that in 5 years Doughty will be the best player in the NHL, much like Lidstrom was for a large period of time. I know Tatar is intriguing, and I do think he will grow to be a good player, but in my mind Forward depth is far easier to replace then defensive. There will always be pure offensive talent in the draft/free agency, obviously not to the extent of Datsyuk or Zetterberg, but players who can score enough will be available.

Just my opinion though, feel free to disagree. If giving up Tatar and a ton of first rounders gets us the defensemen of the future, I'm all for it. Tatar is great, may even become an all-star, but I don't think he will ever be among the true elite. This is all obviously hypothetical though, as we all know LA won't let him leave for the time being.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA, 26 July 2010 - 12:37 PM.

Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#59 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:12 PM

Chara, IMO, would be a good replacement. He has a few years left and can still play first line minutes. He's got a booming shot (obviously, NHL record) and he absolutely punishes opponents (except for Datsyuk :cool: ). I feel like by the time Chara's career is over, our young guns will be ready to step in and get the job done. However, it is very unlikely that the Bruins will not resign him before he becomes a UFA.

Tatar is 19 and had a decent season in the AHL, Doughty at 20 already has een nominated for the Norris for god's sake. You guys are saying we shpuldn't give up Smith or Tatar for Doughty, thats jst dumb. Smith is older then Doughtyand hasn't even been in the AHL, Tatar is projecting to be a speedy Hudler and proably a 70 point guy. Doughty younger then Smith hasa norris nomination and an Olympic gold medal to his name. Its not like we're trading the farm away for a 30 year old, this is a guy who is the same age but has potential to e the est defenseman of his generation. I can't believe you wouldn't give up Tatar or Smith for him. It is much easier to find 70 point guys like Tatar in free agency then it is to find the soon to be est defenseman in the NHL.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#60 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:16 PM

Tatar is 19 and had a decent season in the AHL, Doughty at 20 already has een nominated for the Norris for god's sake. You guys are saying we shpuldn't give up Smith or Tatar for Doughty, thats jst dumb. Smith is older then Doughtyand hasn't even been in the AHL, Tatar is projecting to be a speedy Hudler and proably a 70 point guy. Doughty younger then Smith hasa norris nomination and an Olympic gold medal to his name. Its not like we're trading the farm away for a 30 year old, this is a guy who is the same age but has potential to e the est defenseman of his generation. I can't believe you wouldn't give up Tatar or Smith for him. It is much easier to find 70 point guys like Tatar in free agency then it is to find the soon to be est defenseman in the NHL.

Pretty much this ends much of any debate. Doughty on our blue line > All prospects we have right now. End of story.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.