• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#81 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:34 AM

True, but then the question is whether we want to sigm him to a multi-year deal, given both his age and recent concussion problems.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#82 Grim

Grim

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:41 AM

cap hit is an average of the total sum. a multi-year offer probably is Kenny's only availbale sweetener... well, that and a good chance to go deep in the playoffs. :lol:

i can't fathom many teams even considering giving him a two+ year offer, especially with his concussion woes. lets hope the Wings' Doctors have thoroughly sleuthed this one out. besides, he is under 35, is he not? shouldnt his cap hit be wiped out if should he retire??

#83 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,502 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:40 AM

True, but then the question is whether we want to sigm him to a multi-year deal, given both his age and recent concussion problems.

Was thinking the same thing...I'm certain at his age Mitchell wants nothing less than 3 years, and would prefer a 4 to 5 year deal.

With that in mind - Holland could do his usual tactic of giving him a 4 year deal with the $$$ loaded up on the 1st two years with then a decreased amount for the following two.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#84 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:02 AM

I would be alright with him being on a 3-4 year basis. Lids and Raffi are both going to retire relatively soon, and he could be a possibility to make our transition a little smoother. We won't be doing anything crazy like 17 years or anything, but a small maneuvering of the cap could land us Mitchell and solidify our D for at least a few years.

#85 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:34 PM

How about
Lindstrom - Rafalski
Kronwall - Stuart
Lilja - Mitchell
Erickson scratched
Resign Lilja please Erickson makes to many mistakes to play everyday.

#86 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:49 PM

How about
Lindstrom - Rafalski
Kronwall - Stuart
Lilja - Mitchell
Erickson scratched

How about no?

Ericcsson had some rough patches last season, but he still has more potential at this stage of his career then Lilja could ever dream of. The only way he can mold into the defensemen that he could be is to give him more minutes. In addition, we can't have Kindl rotting away in the minors another year, it's time for him to show if hes got a shot in the NHL, and starting him out as a 7th defesnemen would allow him to ease in. And this isn't even taking into account Lilja's salary demands, which would make signing Mitchell impossible.
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#87 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:25 PM

How about
Lindstrom - Rafalski
Kronwall - Stuart
Lilja - Mitchell
Erickson scratched

If the Wings have 3.5+ million for players, why sign Modano and use the 5 million to make a play at a high value player? the easy answer is: the Wings dont have 3.5+ million to afford both lilja and Mitchell.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#88 TheOwl

TheOwl

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:02 PM

The best case scenerio would be Rafalski waiving his NTC.

Lidstrom- Mitchell
Stuart-Kronwall
Kindl-Lilja
-Ericsson

Kindl needs to play, or he will picked up on waivers. Use Rafalksi's cap space for next season or waive Osgood and sign Niemi. Niemi-Howard! woot woot woot

#89 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,566 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:13 PM

If the Wings have 3.5+ million for players, why sign Modano and use the 5 million to make a play at a high value player? the easy answer is: the Wings dont have 3.5+ million to afford both lilja and Mitchell.

honestly, how much sucess have the Wings had signing or trading for that HIGH dollar player? The Wings succeed more often with the middle to low income players who come in to work their assess off for a Cup, not to take a discount to float around and be the go to guy. (not to say Hossa was a floater, he was actually pretty good defensively.) They'll be more successful signing Modano, Mitchell, Eaves & Miller rather than signing Kovalchuk. I can only hope that Mitchell would come play here, three or four year contract would be great! As long as the Cap hit didn't cripple us...

Don't Be Jealous Because I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#90 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:14 PM

Niemi requires more money than Osgood does.

#91 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:58 PM

So this means he could accept a 1.5M contract (with bonuses)... that sounds like a reasonable price?

I don't like the idea of us getting caught up in bonuses, because that just shifts cap problems from one year to the next. Let us ask Chicago how it works out to do that...
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#92 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:04 PM

I don't like the idea of us getting caught up in bonuses, because that just shifts cap problems from one year to the next. Let us ask Chicago how it works out to do that...

I just read minutes after this post that we gave Modano 500k next year for bonuses?!?!? WTF I just lost alot of respect for that signing. We better win this year because this might make it harder to win next year.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#93 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

I just read minutes after this post that we gave Modano 500k next year for bonuses?!?!? WTF I just lost alot of respect for that signing. We better win this year because this might make it harder to win next year.

his cap hit is 1.75M.. most definitely spells the end of meech/ritola/miller. especially if we sign mitchell or someone of the like.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#94 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:08 PM

How about
Lindstrom - Rafalski
Kronwall - Stuart
Lilja - Mitchell
Erickson scratched

Lindstrom, really? And Erickson... but that's less important.

#95 Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Canadian Insurgent

• Gold Booster
  • 922 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:03 PM

I just don't see Mitchell leaving Vancouver. It means a great deal for him to stay in Vancouver. He's home-grown, and dreamed of playing for the Canucks his entire life. There's even a photo floating around somewhere of him at about 4 years old in a Canucks jersey. I doubt he can picture himself in another uniform any better than Canucks fans can can. I know there have been other current Canucks who have been on the team longer, but next to Trevor Linden, for me, there is no Canuck who seems like a better fit for Vancouver than Willie Mitchell. I think he'll take a home-town discount to stay and prove his durability. The wild card is if there are issues which we know nothing about.
It's better to be considered temporarily insane than permanently stupid.

#96 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:19 PM

I agree that Mitchell in a jersey other than a Canucks jersey would be odd, but not every organization is as loyal as the Detroit Red Wings. In addition, the Canucks are overstacked with defensemen right now. Ehroff, Bieksa, Edler, Salo, Rome, O'Brien, and I believe Alberts is under contract as well. I just can't see him back in Vancouver.

*Add Hamhuis and Ballard
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#97 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,866 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:54 PM

I don't think the Wings can afford him anymore.

For those who were arguing that the Modano signing in no way affected signing a physical defenseman, Mitchell is a pretty good example of that not being true. They may be able to get a plug, but they sure can't get a guy who could potentially have been in the lineup for a few years and helped stabilize our D when Lids retires.

http://www.mlive.com...s_interest.html

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 07 August 2010 - 09:56 PM.

#98 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:07 PM

For those who were arguing that the Modano signing in no way affected signing a physical defenseman, Mitchell is a pretty good example of that not being true.

Can't really say until he actually signs somewhere and we can see the contract he got. The $1.25M they spent on Modano may have been the difference, but maybe not.

They may be able to get a plug, but they sure can't get a guy who could potentially have been in the lineup for a few years and helped stabilize our D when Lids retires.

I don't think you really want to shape your long-term defense around a guy with a wonky head. Besides, while Mitchell is a good player, there are plenty of similar-quality Dmen that hit the free agent market every year. We won't be looking back wistfully on "the summer we missed out on Willie Mitchell." If the Wings have the money they'll get their man.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#99 Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Canadian Insurgent

• Gold Booster
  • 922 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:56 AM

I agree that Mitchell in a jersey other than a Canucks jersey would be odd, but not every organization is as loyal as the Detroit Red Wings. In addition, the Canucks are overstacked with defensemen right now. Ehroff, Bieksa, Edler, Salo, Rome, O'Brien, and I believe Alberts is under contract as well. I just can't see him back in Vancouver.

*Add Hamhuis and Ballard

The atmosphere around the Canucks has changed a great deal since Mike Gillis took over. Players are not only choosing to stay in Vancouver at a discount, but they're coming to play here at a discount too.

Yes we're already stacked with defencemen, but Salo will be on injured reserve for a long time and that comes off the cap. Also, odds are that Bieksa is on his way out and Alberts will probably find a new home in Manitoba.

On an unrelated note...

Was anyone else having trouble getting redirected to Facebook when trying to view this thread? The thread would open, and then about 5 seconds later it would get redirected to Facebook. It was annoying as hell. Never seen anything like it.

Edited by Chairman Maouth, 08 August 2010 - 01:05 AM.

It's better to be considered temporarily insane than permanently stupid.

#100 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:28 AM

I'd say the odds of Mitchell signing with Detroit are about as good as Modano getting 30 goals this year, could it happen? Absolutely. will it happen? not likely