• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

Official Detroit Lions thread

Rate this topic

I don't expect that many wins out of them, but I do expect this season to be a first in a string of consistently more successful years until the Lions eventually make the playoffs.

I just finished reading an interview that Album had with Jim Schwartz. He started talking about Matt Stafford and this is what he said:

"Matt is extremely self-aware. Matt would be a very good coach because he right away knows when he's screwed up and when things are outside of his control. In Denver (in the exhibition game), when he took a sack ... second down and goal, I think, from the 9. If it's incomplete, we got third and goal from the 9 -- we still got a chance to score a touchdown. When he takes the sack, it's like third and goal from the 14, and you're not converting. It's probably a field goal. So by taking that sack, that was basically a four-point play. And he came off, and I said, "You've gotta burn that ball. You've gotta throw it away." And he said, "Yeah, I know, but the guy was on my hip and I was afraid that if I switched hands to throw it that I might lose it. And I didn't wanna lose the field goal.

So he was aware of everything. He knew right away."

I was pretty impressed, and it further supports the notion that the Lions have begun to build a legitimate team. There are still parts missing, but its definitely not the team that walked onto the field 2 years ago, 5 years ago, etc.

The Lions winning 5-6 games seems like a reasonable prediction. Maybe they can even steal one from Minnesota if they keep playing like they did Thursday night -- although perhaps it is incredibly, mind-bogglingly stupid of me to suggest that the Lions could replicate the success of the defending Super Bowl champions. :P

I'm still feeling good about penciling in Ws for the Rams, Bills, and Bucs; hopefully they can split with the Bears and Vikes; the rest of the schedule is a minefield though: Jets/Boys/Pats (why is a 2-14 team pitted against these guys?!) and of course the thorough stomping they'll get from the cheeseheads (x2). If they can get one or two wins out of the Eagles/Giants/Skins/Phins part of the sched that should be enough to get to where I think they can be.

Edited by Heroes of Hockeytown

WHY was that Calvin Johnson catch not a TD?

Possession: check.

In bounds: check.

Control of ball: check.

Past the plane of the goal: check.

What the heck? Process? What did they think he was in the process of? Baking fruitcake? He was in the process of scoring a TD, which he did, and then falling on his butt, which he did, with possession of the ball.

I'm going to puke.

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

what a terrible call imo!

the Lions had this game won!!

let me guess..next season they are gonna say you have to catch a ball a certain way in order for a TD to count...seriously...those refs should be fired!! i think the neighbors heard me yelling at my tv and i was watching the game out in the sticks! they are a good 100 yards away :scared::ph34r:

Edited by ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

My bf is a hard-core Vikings fan, and he was irritated by that call. He knows his football, but unfortunately, he's not one to go to for explanations. He explains things on the most basic level and never gets beyond explaining to me what it means when they review a play (like I didn't know that).

I would like an explanation. Is there a new rule this year that I don't know about or is that just a pile of non-sense?

Still fuming.

My bf is a hard-core Vikings fan, and he was irritated by that call. He knows his football, but unfortunately, he's not one to go to for explanations. He explains things on the most basic level and never gets beyond explaining to me what it means when they review a play (like I didn't know that).

I would like an explanation. Is there a new rule this year that I don't know about or is that just a pile of non-sense?

Still fuming.

Basically there are different rules for catching the ball in the endzone than the rest of the field of play. The rule was created for different situations, one where it wasn't so damn obvious the player caught the ball.

If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground.

I'm not a Lions fan, but when I saw the highlights of that game and that CJ catch was called incomplete, I almost lost it. He caught it, came down with both feet and then hit the ground. Play over. Then the ball came loose. It didn't come loose in the process of making the catch, the catch had already been made. How much longer is he supposed to hold onto the ball until its considered a catch?

There was a similar play to this last year with Hines Ward. He caught it in the corner of the end zone running, fell down and rolled with the ball out of bounds and when he got up to his feet, he dropped it and they said incomplete pass. Nobody made a big deal about it because it was a blowout game against the Browns and it didn't matter. This crap call affected the outcome of the game.