• Please log in to reply
451 replies to this topic

#1 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:41 AM

I'm calling a 6-10 record for this season. Hopefully I'm wrong.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#2 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:31 PM

I don't expect that many wins out of them, but I do expect this season to be a first in a string of consistently more successful years until the Lions eventually make the playoffs.

I just finished reading an interview that Album had with Jim Schwartz. He started talking about Matt Stafford and this is what he said:

"Matt is extremely self-aware. Matt would be a very good coach because he right away knows when he's screwed up and when things are outside of his control. In Denver (in the exhibition game), when he took a sack ... second down and goal, I think, from the 9. If it's incomplete, we got third and goal from the 9 -- we still got a chance to score a touchdown. When he takes the sack, it's like third and goal from the 14, and you're not converting. It's probably a field goal. So by taking that sack, that was basically a four-point play. And he came off, and I said, "You've gotta burn that ball. You've gotta throw it away." And he said, "Yeah, I know, but the guy was on my hip and I was afraid that if I switched hands to throw it that I might lose it. And I didn't wanna lose the field goal.

So he was aware of everything. He knew right away."

I was pretty impressed, and it further supports the notion that the Lions have begun to build a legitimate team. There are still parts missing, but its definitely not the team that walked onto the field 2 years ago, 5 years ago, etc.

#3 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:00 PM

The Lions winning 5-6 games seems like a reasonable prediction. Maybe they can even steal one from Minnesota if they keep playing like they did Thursday night -- although perhaps it is incredibly, mind-bogglingly stupid of me to suggest that the Lions could replicate the success of the defending Super Bowl champions. :P

I'm still feeling good about penciling in Ws for the Rams, Bills, and Bucs; hopefully they can split with the Bears and Vikes; the rest of the schedule is a minefield though: Jets/Boys/Pats (why is a 2-14 team pitted against these guys?!) and of course the thorough stomping they'll get from the cheeseheads (x2). If they can get one or two wins out of the Eagles/Giants/Skins/Phins part of the sched that should be enough to get to where I think they can be.

Edited by Heroes of Hockeytown, 10 September 2010 - 03:01 PM.

"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#4 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:09 AM

The game against Chicago sure will be interesting.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#5 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:08 PM

Chicago just marching down the field on their first series.

#6 Yellowknife Redwing

Yellowknife Redwing

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:21 PM

Anybody have a stream of the game?

#7 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:26 PM

Hey, interception.

#8 Yellowknife Redwing

Yellowknife Redwing

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:32 PM

Hey touchdown :)

#9 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

Buckeye & Red Wing fanatic

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:09 PM

Moving the ball just before half....probably lucky to be leading, but leading nonetheless.

"During Robert Lang’s time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#10 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:25 PM

Time to see how they'll respond to Chicago coming back.

#11 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:37 PM

Typical Lions implosion. With bonus Backus doing a s*** job and getting his QB killed.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#12 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:46 PM

Not exactly what we were looking for.

#13 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,874 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:16 PM

WHY was that Calvin Johnson catch not a TD?
Possession: check.
In bounds: check.
Control of ball: check.
Past the plane of the goal: check.

What the heck? Process? What did they think he was in the process of? Baking fruitcake? He was in the process of scoring a TD, which he did, and then falling on his butt, which he did, with possession of the ball.

I'm going to puke.

#14 David

David

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:24 PM

That sucked. At least the NHL isn't the only league with rules that end the game on a horrible note <_<

#15 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:28 PM

Robbed!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Hockeytown Red Wings

Hockeytown Red Wings

Buckeye & Red Wing fanatic

• Silver Booster
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:44 PM

What a bulls*** call....I'm furious.

"During Robert Lang’s time in Detroit, he caused me anguish. Other times he brought me and my family great joy. Robert Lang occasionally coasts, and spends time searching for the best pane of glass to best view the reflection of his flowing mullet. Other times he is a strong-armed force with the puck. I never knew what to expect from Robert Lang. He is The Enigma. " - A2Y

#17 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:07 PM

That was terrible. Bears escape with the win.

#18 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:50 PM

Also, what the hell is it about Detroit sports teams that constantly get them boned by the officials? The constant no-goals with the Wings, the Almost-perfect game from Gallaraga, and now this.

#19 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:08 PM

what a terrible call imo!
the Lions had this game won!!
let me guess..next season they are gonna say you have to catch a ball a certain way in order for a TD to count...seriously...those refs should be fired!! i think the neighbors heard me yelling at my tv and i was watching the game out in the sticks! they are a good 100 yards away :scared: :ph34r:

Edited by ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24, 12 September 2010 - 07:10 PM.

#20 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:50 PM

Still not happy about it. <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users