• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Octopus's Garden

Hjalmarsson Cheap Shot on Jason Pominville

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

Maybe the League sees Miller as a "voice of reason" and that's why he wasn't fined. Or, he may have been given a warning. In a TV interview, he said that just after it happened Hjalmarsson couldn't believe he was being tossed.

Or maybe he's a start player and is thus exempt.

But what should I expect on a wings board.

Why is it that you come here when you think so little of the Red Wings and of their fans?

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hope Jason is ok, I'm sick and tired of players getting injured because of idiotic plays like this. Bettman needs to start cracking down and be consistent before more stars get injured.

Bettman has very little to do with assigning punishment. Not that I don't agree with the sentiments, just thought I'd clear that up.

A star player that doesn't play for the Wings, mind you. Don't forget the suspensions to Datsyuk and Lidstrom a couple seasons ago.

Which every GM and owner voted on and agreed to.

So what's worst. a boarding/charging/hit from behind that injures a player...or motioning that a player enjoys sucking on lolipops? Answer, neither, they're both as tragic!

A star player that doesn't play for the Wings, mind you. Don't forget the suspensions to Datsyuk and Lidstrom a couple seasons ago.

Don't forget the sudden revising of that rule which came too late for them to attend the event, instead of playing in the event.

This league will always be seen as a minor league instead of a major league because of the terrible consistency of their rules and rulings, as well as appearances of bias for a particular player/players <_< .

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Maybe that's not a coincidence.

It's not. If you think for one second that the league wasn't licking their lips over this then wow. ESPN has been talking about this hit, it was on PTI tonight. The fact of the matter is that this is garnering attention for the NHL and the NHL wants the attention on the Sabres/Hawks game on Saturday. We all know how cavalier the NHL is with their disciplinary system. It's not like they are trying to protect the players. What's best for the NHL is for Hjalmarsson to be on the ice for the game on Saturday.

Thats the common response from a wings fan whenever he/she is actually incapable of debating the sport/game/hit etc.

I said he should have gotten a penalty for boarding. CLEARLY. But if JP head had never smacked the glass, there wouldnt be all the debate over whether the hit was dirty/legal, whatever. By the way, a clear hit from behind would not have caused someones head to go sideways. Pominville looked, saw him coming, and never braced for it.

1 game suspension max. Shouldnt be anymore then that, maybe less, as in nothing.

A Chicago fan? Accusing someone else of not knowing hockey?

Did I really just see that?

Thats the common response from a wings fan whenever he/she is actually incapable of debating the sport/game/hit etc.

I said he should have gotten a penalty for boarding. CLEARLY. But if JP head had never smacked the glass, there wouldnt be all the debate over whether the hit was dirty/legal, whatever. By the way, a clear hit from behind would not have caused someones head to go sideways. Pominville looked, saw him coming, and never braced for it.

1 game suspension max. Shouldnt be anymore then that, maybe less, as in nothing.

Chicago fans must have the lowest average hockey IQ..what a disgrace to an original 6 franchise. Wow...

Chicago fans must have the lowest average hockey IQ..what a disgrace to an original 6 franchise. Wow...

Dude. Take your Wings glasses off. Boarding should've been called; that is the only appropriate call. There was no elbow. No contact to the head. Didn't leave his feet. Didn't hit him from behind.(Check the replay--Hammer's feet are IN FRONT of Pominville at the point of contact) Didn't interfere--the puck was nearly on Pominville's stick at the point of contact. Didn't charge, either, he coasted to Pominville. Even Quenneville thought there shouldn't've been a penalty. He essentially got suspended "for hitting too hard". Hjalmarsson was as shocked by the suspension as I. Did his head bounce off the glass? Yeah. But, that's not a penalty. Colin Campbell needs to go. Totally inconsistent in handing out suspensions--he definitely thought he had to make a statement, especially after **Ryan Miller** insinuated he do so. This knee jerk reaction just cost the Hawks two points. Hjalmarsson thought he got suspended for "hitting too hard" after the conference with Campbell. What is this? Basketball? How can you draw a line on what is "too hard" off a hit in hockey?

Dude. Take your Wings glasses off. Boarding should've been called; that is the only appropriate call. There was no elbow. No contact to the head. Didn't leave his feet. Didn't hit him from behind.(Check the replay--Hammer's feet are IN FRONT of Pominville at the point of contact) Didn't interfere--the puck was nearly on Pominville's stick at the point of contact. Didn't charge, either, he coasted to Pominville. Even Quenneville thought there shouldn't've been a penalty. He essentially got suspended "for hitting too hard". Hjalmarsson was as shocked by the suspension as I. Did his head bounce off the glass? Yeah. But, that's not a penalty. Colin Campbell needs to go. Totally inconsistent in handing out suspensions--he definitely thought he had to make a statement, especially after **Ryan Miller** insinuated he do so. This knee jerk reaction just cost the Hawks two points. Hjalmarsson thought he got suspended for "hitting too hard" after the conference with Campbell. What is this? Basketball? How can you draw a line on what is "too hard" off a hit in hockey?

No matter where his leg was the point of contact was right on his back, which forced him into the glass, and if you are hit in the back like that is a ******* HIT FROM BEHIND! He deserved more than two games for that dirty hit, even if he didn't intend to injure. There was no knee jerk reaction there either.

I wonder if you were calling for Willie Mitchel's head when he leveled Toews last year on a CLEAN hit. If you aren't familiar with said hit, look it up on youtube and you will see a CLEAN HARD hit on open ice.

Edited by Gordie Howe hat trick

No matter where his led was the point of contact was right on his back, which forced him into the glass, and if you are hit in the back like that is a ******* HIT FROM BEHIND! He deserved more than two games for that dirty hit, even if he didn't intend to injure. There was no knee jerk reaction there either.

I wonder if you were calling for Willie Mitchel's head when he leveled Toews last year on a CLEAN hit. If you aren't familiar with said hit, look it up on youtube and you will see a CLEAN HARD hit on open ice.

Let it be known that Toews indeed get cranked by Willie Mitchell last year. Doesn't get more clean than that.

No matter where his leg was the point of contact was right on his back, which forced him into the glass, and if you are hit in the back like that is a ******* HIT FROM BEHIND! He deserved more than two games for that dirty hit, even if he didn't intend to injure. There was no knee jerk reaction there either.

LOL, I'm not a goldfish, of course I remember that hit. Obviously, it was 100% clean, no question about it. Toews thought it was, so that was good enough for me. The TSN replay doesn't show Mitchell's complete route but I've had people tell me they saw the play the whole way and it looked like Mitchell made a beeline for Toews coming out of the box while taking several strides. It's whatever, though, because the principle here is that Toews had his head up and he shouldn't have especially right at the end of a penalty going through the neutral zone. I'm sure he learned from it.

As for the Hjalmarsson hit. It was called boarding on the ice. If it was a hit from behind, why wasn't checking from behind called? I don't know how you can hit someone from behind with your feet in front of the player while playing the puck at the same time. Pominville looked at him coming twice(TWSS). But he didn't brace for the hit at all which caused his dome to bounce off the glass. Which btw, is seamless and I'm sure didn't help... And he clearly didn't charge or leave his feet or elbow him. There is no way in hell this was a dirty hit, btw. Not a ******* chance. No malice whatsoever. It is quite obvious that Hjalmarsson is not a dirty player, with no previous notorious behavior. I don't see how it is anything but a knee jerk reaction. I'm not trying to sound biased(I know I though) but it honestly just doesn't look like a hit that is worthy of a 2 game suspension. I can see a board though, he was violently propelled into the boards.Ovie got two games last year for boarding Brian Campbell and broke his collar bone. You're telling me those are even slightly similar? THAT was a vicious hit.

edit: grammar

Edited by FIBS

Guest Heaten

LOL, I'm not a goldfish, of course I remember that hit. Obviously, it was 100% clean, no question about it. Toews thought it was, so that was good enough for me. The TSN replay doesn't show Mitchell's complete route but I've had people tell me they saw the play the whole way and it looked like Mitchell made a beeline for Toews coming out of the box while taking several strides. It's whatever, though, because the principle here is that Toews had his head up and he shouldn't have especially right at the end of a penalty going through the neutral zone. I'm sure he learned from it.

As for the Hjalmarsson hit. It was called boarding on the ice. If it was a hit from behind, why wasn't checking from behind called? I don't know how you can hit someone from behind with your feet in front of the player while playing the puck at the same time. Pominville looked at him coming twice(TWSS). But he didn't brace for the hit at all which caused his dome to bounce off the glass. Which btw, is seamless and I'm sure didn't help... And he clearly didn't charge or leave his feet or elbow him. There is no way in hell this was a dirty hit, btw. Not a ******* chance. No malice whatsoever. It is quite obvious that Hjalmarsson is not a dirty player, with no previous notorious behavior. I don't see how it is anything but a knee jerk reaction. I'm not trying to sound biased(I know I though) but it honestly just doesn't look like a hit that is worthy of a 2 game suspension. Ovie got two games last year for boarding Brian Campbell and broke his collar bone. You're telling me those are even slightly similar. THAT was a vicious hit.

Since when has the league been consistent? Ovi got 2 games and Matt Cooke got a big whopping ZERO game suspension. I thought Hjalmarsson (sp?) should get 5 to send a message to the Blackhawks (see Keith's cheap shot on Salei last Saturday), but 2 is acceptable. This will get him back soon enough to play the Sabres on Saturday :thumbup:

As for the Hjalmarsson hit. It was called boarding on the ice. If it was a hit from behind, why wasn't checking from behind called? I don't know how you can hit someone from behind with your feet in front of the player while playing the puck at the same time. Pominville looked at him coming twice(TWSS). But he didn't brace for the hit at all which caused his dome to bounce off the glass. Which btw, is seamless and I'm sure didn't help... And he clearly didn't charge or leave his feet or elbow him. There is no way in hell this was a dirty hit, btw. Not a ******* chance. No malice whatsoever. It is quite obvious that Hjalmarsson is not a dirty player, with no previous notorious behavior. I don't see how it is anything but a knee jerk reaction. I'm not trying to sound biased(I know I though) but it honestly just doesn't look like a hit that is worthy of a 2 game suspension. Ovie got two games last year for boarding Brian Campbell and broke his collar bone. You're telling me those are even slightly similar. THAT was a vicious hit.

Hjalmarsson nailed him from behind, take off your homer glasses you apologist. And if you want to talk about the Ovie hit, then Hjalmarsson deserves it even more. Looks like Pominville is going to suffer concussion symptoms for some time not just a broken bone. I hope that The Sabers smear him on Saturday. I will be there, in my Wings jersey as well. Maybe they can even hit Hjalmarsson just like he did to Pomineville even, and we can see how you ***** how he needs to be suspended, because you and I both know you would.

Hjalmarsson nailed him from behind, take off your homer glasses you apologist. And if you want to talk about the Ovie hit, then Hjalmarsson deserves it even more. Looks like Pominville is going to suffer concussion symptoms for some time not just a broken bone. I hope that The Sabers smear him on Saturday. I will be there, in my Wings jersey as well. Maybe they can even hit Hjalmarsson just like he did to Pomineville even, and we can see how you ***** how he needs to be suspended, because you and I both know you would.

The Keith hit was cheap and not usual from him, I don't like to see that s***. The Ovechkin hit is no where near Hjalmarsson's hit. Period. I'm not the only person who thinks the way I do. It's not only Hawks fans either..there's plenty of Hawks fans who think it was bad. P'ville looked at him TWICE and did nothing about it. Call it what you want but it's not a suspension worthy hit. I've looked at it literally thousands of times and just like any other questionable hit in the NHL. Sorry but it is definitely not as bad as you make it sound. I feel the newfound fear for dangerous hits after last year played a major role in this suspension. Ill-conceived, knee jerk reaction by Campbell and Company IMO.

The Keith hit on Salei, based on the new rules regarding elbows and blindside hits, is more worthy of a suspension that Hjalmarsson's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjfUaV5XeRE&NR=1&feature=fvwp

check out these hits. those are bad.

Edited by FIBS

...As for the Hjalmarsson hit. It was called boarding on the ice. If it was a hit from behind, why wasn't checking from behind called? I don't know how you can hit someone from behind with your feet in front of the player while playing the puck at the same time. Pominville looked at him coming twice(TWSS). But he didn't brace for the hit at all which caused his dome to bounce off the glass. Which btw, is seamless and I'm sure didn't help... And he clearly didn't charge or leave his feet or elbow him. There is no way in hell this was a dirty hit, btw. Not a ******* chance. No malice whatsoever. It is quite obvious that Hjalmarsson is not a dirty player, with no previous notorious behavior. I don't see how it is anything but a knee jerk reaction. I'm not trying to sound biased(I know I though) but it honestly just doesn't look like a hit that is worthy of a 2 game suspension. ...

His upper arm was squarely between Pominville's numbers. Pominville wasn't wearing his jersey backwards, so that is a hit from behind. It wasn't called checking from behind because it was called a boarding major. Checking from behind is rarely called in the NHL, since it is normally superseded by a boarding call. I'm not sure why you seem to think boarding can't happen on a hit from behind. Checking from behind and a boarding major both have the same on ice penalties, and both are subject to suplementary discipline. Both are among the most serious penalties. This hit could have been called either way, not that it makes any difference. Boarding is still a dirty hit worthy of suspension.

And just because Pominville saw Hjalmarsson coming (assuming he actually noticed him) doesn't mean he knew the hit was coming. Perhaps the reason he didn't brace himself is because Hjalmarsson was coming from behind him, and he knew he shouldn't have been in danger of being hit like that. 'He should have protected himself' is not an excuse for a cheapshot.

It was a dirty hit. That's why everyone outside Chicago has been calling it a dirty hit. That's why he was suspended.

Between periods of the first game of the doubleheader on TSN, they said Stan Bowman said he didn't think there should have been a suspension handed out.

And on NHL Home Ice yesterday, Colin Campbell almost sounded like he didn't want to suspend Hjalmarsson, instead blaming the hit itself on Pominville. He was stumbling all over himself trying to excuse Hjalmarsson for what he did and placing the onus for being in that position on Pominville. Seemed he was more concerned about Wisniewski's infraction, which was neither dangerous nor injurious to anyone.

The Keith hit was cheap and not usual from him, I don't like to see that s***. The Ovechkin hit is no where near Hjalmarsson's hit. Period. I'm not the only person who thinks the way I do. It's not only Hawks fans either..there's plenty of Hawks fans who think it was bad. P'ville looked at him TWICE and did nothing about it. Call it what you want but it's not a suspension worthy hit. I've looked at it literally thousands of times and just like any other questionable hit in the NHL. Sorry but it is definitely not as bad as you make it sound. I feel the newfound fear for dangerous hits after last year played a major role in this suspension. Ill-conceived, knee jerk reaction by Campbell and Company IMO.

The Keith hit on Salei, based on the new rules regarding elbows and blindside hits, is more worthy of a suspension that Hjalmarsson's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjfUaV5XeRE&NR=1&feature=fvwp

check out these hits. those are bad.

I'm done feeding the troll, It was a dirty hit no matter if you like it or not. He got suspended. And he deserved more. Thank god you don't have Campbell's job or there would be plenty more players getting injured because, if you see this as a "knee jerk reaction" I wonder how bad it has to be to constitute a suspension.

Do us all a favor learn the rules of the game, and stop listening to Ed Olczyk's opinion because he has Hawk colored glasses worse than you.

I'm done feeding the troll, It was a dirty hit no matter if you like it or not. He got suspended. And he deserved more. Thank god you don't have Campbell's job or there would be plenty more players getting injured because, if you see this as a "knee jerk reaction" I wonder how bad it has to be to constitute a suspension.

Do us all a favor learn the rules of the game, and stop listening to Ed Olczyk's opinion because he has Hawk colored glasses worse than you.

You're wrong; there's no two ways about it.

His upper arm was squarely between Pominville's numbers. Pominville wasn't wearing his jersey backwards, so that is a hit from behind. It wasn't called checking from behind because it was called a boarding major. Checking from behind is rarely called in the NHL, since it is normally superseded by a boarding call. I'm not sure why you seem to think boarding can't happen on a hit from behind. Checking from behind and a boarding major both have the same on ice penalties, and both are subject to suplementary discipline. Both are among the most serious penalties. This hit could have been called either way, not that it makes any difference. Boarding is still a dirty hit worthy of suspension.

And just because Pominville saw Hjalmarsson coming (assuming he actually noticed him) doesn't mean he knew the hit was coming. Perhaps the reason he didn't brace himself is because Hjalmarsson was coming from behind him, and he knew he shouldn't have been in danger of being hit like that. 'He should have protected himself' is not an excuse for a cheapshot.

It was a dirty hit. That's why everyone outside Chicago has been calling it a dirty hit. That's why he was suspended.

It can't be checking from behind if he knows the hit was coming. He saw Hjalmarsson coming twice. So no checking from behind. Was he thrown into the boards? Yeah, so boarding should've been called. Does boarding automatically mean it was dirty or a cheapshot. No. Lay off the haterade. I can't believe you used the word cheap shot to describe this play. Not even close. I would kill to see you're reaction if it was Bertuzzi or Kronwall doing the hitting in this instance. Shame you can't watch the play wearing hockey glasses. It wasn't dirty, a cheapshot or suspension worthy. Period. Campbell isn't even certain about it.

Was he thrown into the boards? Yeah, so boarding should've been called. Does boarding automatically mean it was dirty or a cheapshot.

He took a run at a player with his back turned to him and threw his head into the boards. Derp.

No. Lay off the haterade. I can't believe you used the word cheap shot to describe this play. Not even close. I would kill to see you're reaction if it was Bertuzzi or Kronwall doing the hitting in this instance. Shame you can't watch the play wearing hockey glasses. It wasn't dirty, a cheapshot or suspension worthy. Period. Campbell isn't even certain about it.

Campbell was certain enough to suspend him for two games. Derp derp.

Edited by Doc Holliday