• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
JoshuaW92

Why is St. Louis doing so good?

Rate this topic

What's also really exciting is the play of Johnson and Pietrangelo on defense.

Johnson came into his own last season and is having a great year so far this year...and this is Pietrangelo's first full season and he's been very good. He has great offensive and puckhandling skills, but the knock on him had always been that his defense was subpar. Well, the extra time in the minors seem to have paid off because he has been solid defensively. Much better than advertised.

You'd think that it would just be a matter of time before the power play started clicking with Johnson and Petro on the points, with Boyes in the corner and Backes in front of the net. There is too much talent out there for the power play to struggle for much longer.

You forgot their one major flaw - goal scoring. They are playing great defensively and Halak has been awesome but they are currently ranked #26 in the league in scoring.

They aren't going very far if they can't score.

Guest Crymson

True -- though only if the Blues lose tonight in regulation while the Wings win.

Admittedly, it's way too early in the season to even care about this. I'd just leave the desperate Blues fan to get excited over the first 1/6th of the season. He's obviously looking, and looking very hard, for reasons to cheer his team on. I honestly think just loving hockey is enough, but deluding one's self I suppose works too. :P

The Red Wings are now in first place!!! SEASON OVER!!!! BLUES LOSE!!!

Guest Shoreline

Now now, guys, stop with that inferiority complex. Clearly we're being jealous of all the cups and success the Blues have.

You forgot their one major flaw - goal scoring. They are playing great defensively and Halak has been awesome but they are currently ranked #26 in the league in scoring.

They aren't going very far if they can't score.

I'm not forgetting anything. I am well aware of their offensive problems. They've had scoring problems the past couple seasons.

Ownership knows that they will have to make a move to pick up some more offense. My guess is they are waiting to see how good the younger players are going to be to see exactly what they need to pick up. And Perron, Oshie & Co. have all gotten better over their first few years in the league...and this year is no different, they are better than the year before. Once this team establishes itself as a legitimate playoff team, I can see them making a move.

The Blues are a very young team and their best players should still have their best years ahead of them (Johnson, Perron, Oshie, Pietrangelo, Backes, Berglund, Polak, Halak)...and throw D'Agostini into the mix who has been a great surprise. Talk about flat out stealing a player from another organization...we should trade with Montreal more often. Our last two acquisitions from Montreal have been D'Agostini and Halak...for essentially nothing.

The loss of Oshie for at least 3 months really stings. He's the most dynamic and versatile player on the team. And it might not be a huge deal had the Blues not already been hit hard with the injury bug. Perron, Carlo, Jackman, & Polak are already out with injuries. Within a few games they lost a bunch of good players.

But the last few losses aren't overly surprising. You can only lose so many players and still play at a high level. Detroit knows this because of their injury issues last year. They flirted with missing the playoffs for most of the season until they got healthy late in the year. Hopefully they can play .500 or better hockey until they get some of their players back.

Guest Shoreline

^

This is why you don't celebrate a dozen games into the season on another team's forum -- especially when you haven't won anything worthwhile to justify it.

Edited by Shoreline

Now now, guys, stop with that inferiority complex. Clearly we're being jealous of all the cups and success the Blues have.

Yes, I'd love to hear more about how many cups the Wings have won, how good they've been and their superb record over the past 15 years in a thread entitled: "Why is St. Louis doing so good?" .

Guest Shoreline

Yes, I'd love to hear more about how many cups the Wings have won, how good they've been and their superb record over the past 15 years in a thread entitled: "Why is St. Louis doing so good?" .

I'd love to have more "Red Wings Who?", personally.

Maybe you got lost, but isn't there a Blues forum you run? I doubt you'd prevent your forum goers from giving flak to any Red Wing fan who came there and declared "Who?" to your team and proceeded with pretending your team is one of the past just because we happen to be a higher rank in the standings after a dozen games into the season. They would get blasted, you and your forum members would rightfully have, as Katt Williams said, your seven laughs off that mf'er.

It's not to say that was offensive, cuz it certainly was not. However, being that you're on a Wing forum, take the flak and move on. You jabbed at the Wings, you got roasted for it. It's all in good nature.

Edited by Shoreline

^

This is why you don't celebrate a dozen games into the season on another team's forum -- especially when you haven't won anything worthwhile to justify it.

I wasn't "celebrating". I was commenting in a thread THAT A WINGS FAN STARTED.

Don't lecture me on something I didn't do.

You definitely tried to be clever with the Detroit who comment and that backfired and that is what got Shoreline going.

But sure you were just commenting on a thread a Wings fan started.

This thread is so full of LGW asshats <_< Must be great to have a superiority complex.

Why is it not ok for a fan to get excited 1/6th of the way into a season, but perfectly fine to be doom and gloom and curse a franchise 1/6th of the way into the season if the team is doing bad?

"ZOMG Devils sux so much! Lottery pickz for teh win!" "Like Zata is so bad, he should just like retire (one week in)" "Modano should just sit in the press box, he is worthless (Two weeks in)"

But oh no, there can't be a "Why do you think the Blues are having such success early on?"

I'm glad the Blues are doing awesome, I love being in the toughest division in hockey. Every one of these teams, if put in a different division, would have a chance at the end of the year of winning their division.

Edited by Konnan511

Guest Shoreline

This thread is so full of LGW asshats <_< Must be great to have a superiority complex.

Why is it not ok for a fan to get excited 1/6th of the way into a season, but perfectly fine to be doom and gloom and curse a franchise 1/6th of the way into the season if the team is doing bad?

"ZOMG Devils sux so much! Lottery pickz for teh win!" "Like Zata is so bad, he should just like retire (one week in)" "Modano should just sit in the press box, he is worthless (Two weeks in)"

But oh no, there can't be a "Why do you think the Blues are having such success early on?"

I'm glad the Blues are doing awesome, I love being in the toughest division in hockey. Every one of these teams, if put in a different division, would have a chance at the end of the year of winning their division.

Huh? People are commenting on him being excited? Really? How dare you be excited for your team starting off well..

Hmm, I don't think that was what's iterated at all. And on top of that I don't see where one gets praise for being doom and gloom so soon either..

Just sounds like a very generalized rant at nothing in particular.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut in the winter. Wings were bad at the start last year and they finished the bets post break. Blues are starting off awesome, but w/o scoring I don't see them doing well....at least not in the months that matter

Guest Crymson

I wasn't "celebrating". I was commenting in a thread THAT A WINGS FAN STARTED.

Don't lecture me on something I didn't do.

Uh, oh! Sh1t's gettin' REAL!!!!

I'm not forgetting anything. I am well aware of their offensive problems. They've had scoring problems the past couple seasons.

Ownership knows that they will have to make a move to pick up some more offense.

You are going to need more than just a pickup or two to save your offense. Unless you land someone like Ovechkin (unlikely) any middle-road offense power is going to shrivel up without quality forwards to improve.

Idk what happened tonight but I watched the whole Blues vs Av's game and I wasn't impressed with anything coming from the Blues.

Really. The Blues dominated the first 10-15 minutes of the second period. Then the Avs had a puck go in off of a guys chest followed quickly by a perfect top corner shot by one of the Avs. Game over.

I thought the Blues looked great for most of the 2nd period.

Are you serious. Chicago has tanked, Nashville and Columbus are near .500 and St. louis is the only team giving the Wings any competition.

Guest Shoreline

Those paying attention to the Blues could see this coming over the past couple seasons...and then they added Halak without losing anyone from their NHL roster, which instantly made them significantly better.

Great goaltending...solid system on defense...great transition game.

And they just won in Boston and beat the Rangers in NY in back to back nights without their best offensive threat (Perron) and half of their defensive corps (Polak, Carlo, Jackman)...all our out with injuries.

Really, the only thing they need to work on is the power play, which has been pretty bad. If they could get that on track a bit, they'd be dominant.

Davis Payne has done a great job since taking over last year. They've won 12 games in a row at home dating back to last season and of course are 9-1-2 so far this year, and currently #1 overall in the NHL.

Blues teams have always been known for working their asses off...and this team is no different. They work hard, and it is paying off. Hard work doesn't go into a slump.

But I can't see them keeping up this pace without either the power play improving, or them scoring more 5 on 5 goals. They can't keep winning games 1-0 and 2-1...or at least I don't think they can.

They haven't played the wings yet.

Who?

Red Wings who?

I try not to live in the past. I'm kinda focussed on the present right now. But thanks for the history lesson.

Welcome to the present? Same old St. Louis.

Edited by Shoreline

Guys, come on.

You all know that St. Louis played a pretty damn fine game. The way they played for those 50 minutes was impressive. With all their injuries they were still right there up until that point. I just hope the Wings look out the next time they play the Blues.

Guest mindfly

Guys, come on.

You all know that St. Louis played a pretty damn fine game. The way they played for those 50 minutes was impressive. With all their injuries they were still right there up until that point. I just hope the Wings look out the next time they play the Blues.

You got a point there, and Halak must be better through 60mins if they are gonna have a chance