• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

San Jose/Detroit game discussion

Rate this topic

Yeah, unfortunately, I don't get VS - but it sounds largely like they just fell apart. Defense seemed suspect all game - a shorthanded goal to Thornton and 2 goals in 8 seconds?

Pretty much. The two goals in eight seconds bring back shades of Burtuzzi/Datsyuk in Vancouver.

Yeah, I am not quite sure why Babcock put Hudler on the point of the power play. I guess since he would not be in the penalty kill, he wanted some way of getting more ice time for him, but I would rather see Stuart there, instead.

Im gettin sick of guys throwing hissy fits over a clean hit (ie. clowe after getting kronwalled). Do these guys not see that they look like candyasses when they freak out?

Couldn't agree more, but at least the refs got it right and called a penalty on the retaliation.

Wings came out and were playing some best hockey of the season in the 1st, it looked like complete control. To me, the game-changing moment came when Fil's would-be second goal was blown dead by a quick whistle. After that the Wings seemed to crumble, it was embarrassing. I had to turn it off after the 5th goal.

Just seems like once they got off their gameplan they couldn't ever get back on it.

I want the record to show I'm not a goalie basher, but I think Howard cost us this game. Most of those goals could have and should have been stopped. The two on one sucked, but the rest weren't tricky shots.

In Howard's defense, Heatley's goal was a double tip but I agree that he didn't have a strong game.

Looked awesome for half the first. Then they looked like they just stopped playing after the SHG. Passes were horrible, defense horrible, offense horrible, howard pretty crappy. Cant blame him on the game I say 3 of the 5 goals werent his fault. 2 on 1, deflection and ericsson not tying up his man infront. The other 2 were regular shots, but hes not the only one who didnt show up.

Got to be one of the worst games Ive ever seen Zetterberg play. Noticed he was sucking 5 mins into the game when he went to hit kronwall with a pass in the slot and sent it all the way back to howard. minus 4 for him and he deserved it.

Was hoping they would pick it up after the awesome hit by kronwall but they didnt.

Like i said the first game i saw hudler on the point, thats not going to do anything positive. He made 2 horrible passes that lead to odd man rushes.

Got ripped off a goal, that puck was still loose and rolling and went downhill from there. first time we got a bad call this season, combined with the worst game they played this season. Got controlled from the 2nd on. Sucks when youre on the other side of puck control.

Edited by brett

The Wings had an opportunity to really put the Sharks down in the first period, and I think were largely undone by the quick whistle and short-handed goal; a potential for 3-0 score becomes 2-1. The pinch by Hudler was absolutely dreadful, obviously doomed to fail and easily the dumbest play I've seen a Wing make this season.

But the D (or those pretending to play it) was not particularly disciplined as a whole and Stuart and Kronwall were caught wandering later in the second period which led to more odd-man rushes and goals against. So I think the damage was largely self-inflicted but also not unlike what the Wings do to many teams on many nights.

I actually wasn't happy with our play from the beginning of the game! I understand we had 16 shots in the first, but I don't think we had that killer instinct lastnight like the Wings typically do! We had 4 Power Plays in the first and could have put the game away, instead we give up a shorty and that chnaged everything! I was worried about lastnights game, I knew SJ wanted revenge from the beating we gave them lastweek, and the travel turn around was not going to be easy.

I do think we will have a much better effort against Nashville tomorrow night!

As for Hudler, I think he needs time in GR, I don't think he is back to NHL speed yet. His passes are behind players all the time and he won't shoot the puck, its almost as if he has no confidence out there. I'm not sure if we could even send him down without having him clear waivers, but with his play and contract, I cannot see anyone picking him up! He has been a major disappointment this year and I do blame him on the shorthanded goal, he turned the puck over damn near on the blueline and then took his sweet ass time getting back on D. Thats not RedWing hockey and I think its time to make a decision on him! It's been 25 games now and the only goal he has was a lucky bounce, he has shown no signs of improvement. Its frustrating to watch him out there. I want Hudler to succeed here, but the NHL is about results and not about having fun.

I don't like to bash players, but Hudler has simply pissed me off lately and I gave him the benefit of the doubt for a while, but I've seen enough of his half ass effort!

The intent to blow the whistle rule absolutely drives me nuts if a goal is scored and a ref doesn't stop the play in time, but there was no such thing last night in the deal that would've made it 2-0 early. If the official blows the whistle in time before a puck crosses the goal line that he loses sight of like what happened last night, cool. I don't like it, but the play is immediately dead after that whistle and I can deal with that. No beef with the referees regarding that specifically.

I just think the Wings ran out of gas physically and mentally after travel and a lot of games in such a short amount of time. Not trying to justify that as an excuse, more along the lines of just stating the obvious or that it was a factor in the game. Given the results of the three game West Coast trip and the game immediately before that and after last night, I'll take a 4-1-1 record all day for those 6 games. 9 out of 12 points is good output.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Guest Heaten

The game was exactly how I predicted in the original GDT. I said Howard will need to steal this one due to the fact it was the first game back from back-to-back games on the road. Some posted disagreed and wanted to debate it.

Wings were flat as expected and the goalie was the only chance for the Win. Howard didn't steal it, Wings lost. Thems the brakes. This loss doesn't really matter. Wings will go on a tear now that the back-to-back road games are done and they got some rest.

Couldn't agree more, but at least the refs got it right and called a penalty on the retaliation.

Wings came out and were playing some best hockey of the season in the 1st, it looked like complete control. To me, the game-changing moment came when Fil's would-be second goal was blown dead by a quick whistle. After that the Wings seemed to crumble, it was embarrassing. I had to turn it off after the 5th goal.

Just seems like once they got off their gameplan they couldn't ever get back on it.

That just pisses me off. I mean why the hell can't the NHL get this s*** right? The replay clearly showed that the puck was in and the goalie never froze it. But OH NO, the ref blew the whistle because he couldn't see the puck. Who the hell cares about the whistle? Ref couldn't see it, replay shows it was a goal so the result is - no goal!

In football, this is similar to a catch or an incomplete. They review it and if the replay clearly shows that the ref missed the call it gets reversed. Why the frick can't they do this in hockey?

The game was exactly how I predicted in the original GDT. I said Howard will need to steal this one due to the fact it was the first game back from back-to-back games on the road. Some posted disagreed and wanted to debate it.

Wings were flat as expected and the goalie was the only chance for the Win. Howard didn't steal it, Wings lost. Thems the brakes. This loss doesn't really matter. Wings will go on a tear now that the back-to-back road games are done and they got some rest.

So you predicted that the Wings would dominate the first period then fall apart?

No, I didn't think so.

Losing to the Sharks this way after the first period leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Right after that goal was waived off in the first and then they called a timeout, the Sharks did a complete 180. Couture killed us last night...

yeah, that deflection off of his skate was awesome. Do you think he pratices that?

I want the record to show I'm not a goalie basher, but I think Howard cost us this game. Most of those goals could have and should have been stopped. The two on one sucked, but the rest weren't tricky shots.

One was a deflection off of a skate, one was a redirection in front and as you said one was a break away. But I agree that the other 2 he should have stopped. He didn't look sharp but I'll say the same thing that I said abouth the LA game. You don't win many games when you score only 2 goals. Howard didn't get any support from the rest of the team.

Sharks were awesome from the middle of the second to the end of the game.

The wings were dominating the Sharks from the first to the middle of the Second. I mean DOMINATING. The wings looked like men and the sharks looked like little toddlers trying to learn how to play hockey.

It was a good game though from my stand point of view, the Sharks have only had 3 good games. And this was one of them. And the Sharks resurgence in the game, you can thank the coaching staff of the Sharks for that.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/2010/12/06/4464/

Guest Heaten

So you predicted that the Wings would dominate the first period then fall apart?

No, I didn't think so.

I said Howard will need to steal this one if Wings have any chance to gain any points. I also said Wings will not play well. If Red Wings played a full 60 minutes to your satisfaction, then I overestimated your hockey intellegence. I predicted a loss unless Howard played like GOD.

Did Wings win?

No, I didn't think so.

Guest Heaten

They played like garbage. They didn't START out flat at all. Wound up with the rest of it being similar to what you said though. Way to go. Save the "I told you so".

I never said they wouldn't come out of the gates flat. I also didn't predict when Frazen would break his stick or when Lidstrom skate would need to be resharpend. I just said unless Howard plays like a GOD, Wings would lose.

We simply watched the first game back from a grueling road trip/back-to-back. The reason I brought it to this thread is because the other thread won't open and a couple of posters (you? - don't remember) said Howard doesn't need to steal this one for Wings to win.

Don't get all defensive. It's just one game. Wings will go on a crazy win streak and separate themselves from the rest of the pack even more. book it :)