• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

titanium2

The Comparison of Helm to Draper

Rate this topic

To quote Scotty Bowman, "The safest place on the ice is between the pipes when Kris Draper's on a breakaway"

I thought it was more along the lines of "$3 million legs, 10 cent hands."

Either way, definitely true. :hehe:

I'm probably among the few fans who actually have a Helm jersey, but I feel like he's going to be a great offensive player if he works on his shot and offensive decision-making a bit. Either way, I'd still be a huge fan if he remains a 3rd/4th liner the rest of his career.

On a side note, is anyone else impressed with Bertuzzi and how he's kind of taken on the role of a mentor to the younger guys? It's great to have these kinds of guys around to help the next core of Wings.

doesn't compare to a jersey, but for christmas i got a helm player shirt.

The Red Wings agree with us.

Mlive

His teammates basically talk about him taking a bit more time with his scoring chances.

“It’s just a matter of him realizing it and working on it,” Bertuzzi said. “I think (a scoring touch) is something you got to develop, especially at the NHL level. Sometimes you get portrayed as a certain kind of player, but I think he has another element to his game. He’s so gifted with his speed. For the amount of breakaways that he gets, (finishing) is something he needs to work on.”

They're obviously fairly comparable given that they employ the same role more/less for the team.

I'd give Helm the edge in speed, which would be a slam dunk now given that Draper is going to hang up the skates sooner than later, but I think he'd still have the edge on a younger Draper.

I'd give Draper the edge in being more of an annoyance or pest to the other team over the course of his career. Who knows if Helm will develop more of that specifically.

I'd give Draper the edge in finishing/goal scoring, though that's not completely fair because we've seen Draper show some offensive flair over his career, albeit inconsistently, with a 20+ goal season and a few seasons around 15 goals, while Helm is still young.