• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HankthaTank

2011 MLB Season Thread

Rate this topic

Today's life lesson: it's alright to spit on an umpire. In some cases, you might even be elected to the BHoF and, if you're realy lucky, they'll retire your number and give your bobblehead doll away, to first 10,000 fans only...sorry.

His career was so much more than that, though. Obviously, it's the first thing that everyone remembers - but he was easily one of the best 2B of the last 30 years.

Indians knock off the Red Sox last night and take a half game on idle Detroit. ESPN is all about the Indians at the moment as if their 1 game post-deadline game indicates how their team will be going forward. ESPN did however reseed their playoff contenders in their SweetSpot blog.

The Tigers jumped 3 spots to number 7, replacing the Milwaulkee Brewers. David Schoenfield had this to say:

7. New: Tigers. Previous: Brewers.

I love what Detroit did, adding Doug Fister and David Pauley to shore up the rotation and add depth to the bullpen. Pauley is a valuable reliever who can pitch more than one inning at a time (he’s pitched more than an inning in 14 of his 39 appearances) and will help bridge the gap to Jose Valverde. Fister is unknown outside of the Pacific Northwest and deep fantasy leagues, but he’s a solid pitcher who will improve the rotation. Add in the return of Carlos Guillen, the addition of Wilson Betemit and the continued awesomeness of Justin Verlander, and this isn’t a team you want to face in a five-game series.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/14469/reseeding-the-playoff-contenders

David Purcey has been designated for assignment. He's out of options, so a team can claim him if they want a terribly inconsistent left-handed reliever. Not sure if he plans to report to Toledo or walk.

I prefer to check the standings.

Sure it's meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but it's nice to see positive things in the media about our Tigers. I'll happily read a post about how the Tigers are the 3rd best team in the AL after the trade deadline.

6 games probably sounds harsh, but it's the MLB's way of insuring he miss his next start. Article says he'll be appealing it - but I doubt they let him off without missing a start.

A little hairy there at the end, but Boesch pulls us out with a late homer for the win. With a Cleveland walk-off loss today against the Red Sox, the Tigers have a 3 game lead in the Central. I think that is the biggest lead we have had this season. Looking forward to seeing what Fister can do with an offense behind him now.

A little hairy there at the end, but Boesch pulls us out with a late homer for the win. With a Cleveland walk-off loss today against the Red Sox, the Tigers have a 3 game lead in the Central. I think that is the biggest lead we have had this season. Looking forward to seeing what Fister can do with an offense behind him now.

It definitely is, and it's the largest lead any team has had in quite some time. The Yankees beat up on the White Sox to push them 5.5 back.

Somewhat ironic that Benoit earns the victory when he nearly gave the game away, but what a gigantic home run by Boesch.

Any chance that Guillen apologized to Avila for setting him up?

Haha, Alex said after the game that he knew he'd be getting thrown at. Sometimes that's the price you pay, I guess.

Good win yesterday.

Yeah. It sucks that it came down to a Boesch homer the way it did, but it's a great win in terms of them battling back - especially against a quality opponent like Texas.

I keep watching the replay of Boesch's homer. Awesome sight.

Fister looked solid. Nice to see Avila start to perk up a little bit. And with another Cleveland loss, the Tigers stretch their division lead to 4 games. Funny how winning games keeps that lead up, we should try to keep doing that.

I like that idea.

Fister looked strong, even if our defense kind of sucked behind him. How's about that Ryan Raburn? Proving that his bat can be effective if he isn't expected to swing it every day, I guess.

I can't believe I'm rooting for the Yankees and the Red Sox, but I am. Nice to see the Indians and White Sox take crushing losses last night. Hopefully they keep doing that.

Penny on the mound against Ogando going for the sweep. Hopefully the Tigers can get to Ogando and give Penny 80 runs, otherwise I'm not very hopeful. Especially after what happened last time Penny and Martinez made up the battery.

119997627_display_image.jpg?1312248183

I will boo Penny from my desk if he comes at VMart again.

Penny on the mound against Ogando going for the sweep. Hopefully the Tigers can get to Ogando and give Penny 80 runs, otherwise I'm not very hopeful. Especially after what happened last time Penny and Martinez made up the battery.

119997627_display_image.jpg?1312248183

I will boo Penny from my desk if he comes at VMart again.

+1

I wish we had Norm Cash instead of Brad Penny... bad joke, I know, but Penny is spiraling downward with no end in sight. I think Turner earned another look with his start last week.

I wish we had Norm Cash instead of Brad Penny... bad joke, I know, but Penny is spiraling downward with no end in sight. I think Turner earned another look with his start last week.

I know they don't want to rush Turner, but you might be right. Penny could at least use a skipped start - that's for sure.

And that lead, slowly but surely, is getting larger.

I really like the Fister trade, it gives us 4 very solid starting pitchers for the playoffs. We'll be tough to beat in October.

If we keep playing aggressive, I agree. Well most likely be up against New York or Boston in the ALDS though. Not sure which one I'd rather face first. Probably Boston first, since I think a 7 game series against New York would be better for us in the ALCS than playing Boston in a 7 game series.

If we keep playing aggressive, I agree. Well most likely be up against New York or Boston in the ALDS though. Not sure which one I'd rather face first. Probably Boston first, since I think a 7 game series against New York would be better for us in the ALCS than playing Boston in a 7 game series.

It's like pick your poison eh? I think I'd rather play the Yankees, Boston can hit a ton!

It's probably not good to be talking playoffs in early August, but the way the Indians, White Sux, and Twins are playing, it's probably a safe bet.