• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 RedWingskiddo

RedWingskiddo

blue eyed red wing lady

• PipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:35 PM

I apologize if there is a thread out there about this already, but I didn't see it.
I have had serious thoughts about going to the game but nose bleed seats start $300 a pop. I'm not sure if I want to drop that on seeing nothing but pens and ovi and a very few other random players market their egos and show off crazily. Granted, seeing ovi shoot would be AMAZING. I heard you can't even see the puck going to the net. But as it is, Nick is the only Wing going and honestly I hope he doesn't go somehow so he can rest.
Overall, I hate how everything was set up this year and not to mention the jersey situation is rather odd.
However, this probably be the only time this event comes to NC.
Thoughts?
HUDLER!
all-star game is in raleigh.. which means you will witness the most weekend canes fans EVER.

#2 Jenny

Jenny

Geeky Goalie Girl

• PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:48 PM

I wouldn't go. Put that money towards a flight in to Detroit Metro and Wings tickets!

detroit-skyline.jpg

My priorities: 1-Hockey. 2-Sleep. 3-Food. 4-Everything Else.

No, Ozzie is NOT the Breakfast Wizard!" -- my husband

#3 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:53 PM

I haven't watched the ASG in years.....probably close to a decade or more now. Much like the MLB ASG, it's not about the best players, it's about the players with the most name/face recognition, so deserving players don't get picked. Which makes it less an "All-Star Game" and more "Sweet Valley High Prom King Finals."

Edited by Electrophile, 16 January 2011 - 09:53 PM.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#4 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:13 PM

Going to the skills competition might be interesting but I wouldn't drop that much money on tix for the ASG. Save it & use it to buy tix for the Wings in the finals this season.

#5 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:13 PM

Site duped my reply for some reason... Since it's here, I guess I'll mention that I paid not too much over that for tickets to the Winter Classic in Wrigley. That was worth the money. An ASG wouldn't be in my opinion.

Edited by ogreslayer, 16 January 2011 - 10:15 PM.

#6 nate94gt

nate94gt

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:17 PM

Lids will develop a groin injury in the final moments of the 3rd period of the game against the debils and wont play in the all star game. DRW are already planning this attack

Edited by nate94gt, 16 January 2011 - 10:18 PM.

#7 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:36 PM

There are a lot better things you could do with 300 dollars.

#8 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,307 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:18 AM

Seriously?

If you LOVE HOCKEY and want a chance to see a lot of talent in one place all at the same time, go for it.

That is the question you need to ask yourself.

Edited by Rivalred, 17 January 2011 - 12:19 AM.

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#9 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:24 AM

$300 for the Raleigh Comedy Festival? I think not. Save your money to party when we win the Cup. You can have a hell of a good party with that kind of money.
Posted Image

#10 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:05 AM

There are a lot better things you could do with 300 dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045FEEAS/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#11 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:56 AM

I would go to the skills competition, but wouldn't spend the money on the game itself... the actual games have become almost un-watchable in the last several years and are kinda a joke in my opinion

With that said, as was already touched on, if this is something YOU want to do, then do it, it's your money and your decision, so follow your gut...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#12 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:22 PM

If you want to throw $300 away, you can send it to me. I can use it to pay off a credit card or two.
Posted Image

#13 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:45 PM

$300 for the whole weekend would be tempting. $300 for a single game, and not good seats at that, is just not a good deal. For $300 you should get a meet and greet and wine and cheese and some little cracker things on a tray with weird leafy stuff coming out of some sort of dip.

#14 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:14 PM

Site duped my reply for some reason... Since it's here, I guess I'll mention that I paid not too much over that for tickets to the Winter Classic in Wrigley. That was worth the money. An ASG wouldn't be in my opinion.

I agree that cost for Winter Classic would be worth it, especially if it were the Wings here at home.

$300 for the whole weekend would be tempting. $300 for a single game, and not good seats at that, is just not a good deal. For $300 you should get a meet and greet and wine and cheese and some little cracker things on a tray with weird leafy stuff coming out of some sort of dip.

You can do that and some very good food for $200 at the Toast :)

I would say if you really want to see Ovie you could always get tickets when they come to play the Hurricanes, that would probably be cheaper.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#15 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:25 PM

Gross overpayment for a game of this stature. However, I did just drop $75 a ticket for the lady's v day gift (stupid holiday) to see Lewis Black at the Michigan Theatre, main floor seats, like row b or some s***. Meh, priorities go where they must I suppose. This should guarantee me getting a few more Wings games out of the deal and maybe some nude activity Posted Image. Who knows.....
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#16 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:28 PM

I know that everyone has soured on the All-Star weekend. I likely won't watch it this year either.

But I really think you should go. It's a once or twice in a lifetime opportunity to see some of the best players of this generation all together at once.

If it were me, it would only come down to the money. If you have the money to spare, I say do it. If money's tight, I certainly wouldn't stop paying bills to go watch it.

#17 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:22 PM

I wouldn't go; I'd save the money and watch the game at home.

Then again, I only go to 2-3 games a year and even then that's almost too much for me, since I like watching at home.

#18 Vladiator

Vladiator

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:37 PM

I only watch the skills competion. Watching the ASG is a waste of time in my opinion.

#19 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:04 AM

Lidstrom has been named one of the two Captains