• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

3/9 GDT: Kings 2 at Red Wings 1

Rate this topic

Guest Heaten

I came in here for 5 minutes to come read about the nut jobs and you friend have made my night....you sound like a fool...the guy gives up 2 goals..one a beautiful deflection and you want him shipped out of town...get used to him you basket case he's here for 2 years on the cheap.

Name calling doesn't change the fact that Howard is a horrible goalie. I'll get use to Howard being here the next 2 years, and I'll also accept the fact that the DRWs won't be sniffing the cup the next 2 years, either.

Howard isn't ever going to ever win s*** in the NHL.

No one here can honestly say that they feel comfortable with Howard in net in crucial games.

Honest no, I'm not. He was very good last season but had a shaky playoffs, and hasn't been able to return to form. So as we head into high pressure games, it definitely gives pause.

But to be clear, I'm not pinning this loss entirely on Howard. He was okay, not great. For as much offensive talent as this team has, Helm shouldn't be the one with the best scoring chances. It's like with this team they can generate offense but then let it all hang out defensively. Or when they're pretty good defensively they can't score goals. They just can't get it together on both ends of the ice.

This is not a "sky is falling" post. I think this is the Wings longest losing streak of the season, and they still came away with a couple of loser points. They're second in the west. But there's not a lot to instill confidence headed into the playoffs, other than hope that they flip the switch. Hell, that should be the playoff slogan, because otherwise the Wings likely won't go far.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

No one here can honestly say that they feel comfortable with Howard in net in crucial games.

Why cant we? He won a game 7 last year, thats pretty crucial I think, I don't think his game has changed that much since then has it?

Guest Crymson

I see that people like dirtydanglez and Heaten believe that the team is made up of weak-minded imbeciles whose emotional stability is entirely dependent upon their goalie. They must really think poorly of their team, as the average team can easily rebound from one weak goal. So I guess they think the team will simply sit down and die if the goalie ever gives up a bad one. You know, like when they lost to Colorado in Ozzy's 300th win (whoops) after he gave up two horrible goals. Oh, wait, no... the team was able to score and win that game.

With the offensive talent on this team, Howard should not be required to keep the score low in every game. There is no excuse for this roster to only put up one goal in a game. Further, with the defensive talent on this team, Howard should be getting laid out to dry so often. This is all the point of not spending $4m on a goaltender; the defense and the offense should be able to balance it out. But they're not getting the job done.

Edited by Crymson

ACtually Ozzie only gave up 1 bad goal that game (the 2nd one) and it was his 400th win... how about you at least get the 400th part right and show him some respect. Secondly, Ozzie also made 46 saves that night and was the ONLY reason they won that game. Howard consistantly lets in weak goals at bad times (how many times have we had bad goals scored against us in say the final minute of a period this year). People are just nieve to beleive that Howard is still the answer... even in the playoffs last year, Howard was not that good and was largely inconsistent. Goaltending is NOT the only problem for this team; that would be an unfair judgement. We have lines that are not working, Rafi out of the line-up, messed up D pairings, etc. BUT, we have to ask when does Howard ever really make saves to keep us in games? Too often is he letting in weak goals, and usually 3 or 4 goals a game at that... I am not saying Ozzie is the answer, but is it not worth a try? Try to shake things up... losing 4 in a row, we got nothing to lose here especially if he is able to get going.

Howard in 2011....

11-6-2 with 2 no decisions.

.858 sv pct and 3.05 gaa.

That's pretty damn mediocre, right there.

This is before tonight.

Edited by Xitium

Guest stinky fish taco

I'd say Fippula had a pretty good game considering he was the only player on his line.

he has what, 2 pts in 10 games?

i know you have to praise him at every turn, but now's probably not the best time.

He's been invisible inside of the blue line.

His line didn't do very well, but that is because Franzen and Bertuzzi are pretty much the laziest players on the Wings. Filppula set Kronwall up on a glorious chance and he nearly scored a couple goals himself. Filppula was one of the best forwards tonight, albeit that's not saying much.

Guest Crymson

Howard in 2011....

11-6-2 with 2 no decisions.

.858 sv pct and 3.05 gaa.

That's pretty damn mediocre, right there.

This is before tonight.

So says the guy who criticized Howard for giving up a rebound on a wraparound shot--i.e. a shot impossible to NOT give a rebound up on--just before a Bruins goal. I believe you called it a "brutal rebound," which was a senseless comment entirely based on Howard's troubles at times at stopping rebounds.

Are you sure you actually know what you're talking about, or are you citing stats with an absolute lack of context?

Edited by Crymson

His line didn't do very well, but that is because Franzen and Bertuzzi are pretty much the laziest players on the Wings. Filppula set Kronwall up on a glorious chance and he nearly scored a couple goals himself. Filppula was one of the best forwards tonight, albeit that's not saying much.

Bert and Franzen are definitely cold, but Filppula has been playing more of a perimeter game since he has returned, which is frustrating.

Edited by egroen

So says the guy who criticized Howard for giving up a rebound on a wraparound shot--i.e. a shot impossible to NOT give a rebound up on--just before a Bruins goal. I believe you called it a "brutal rebound," which was a senseless comment entirely based on Howard's troubles at times at stopping rebounds.

Are you sure you actually know what you're talking about, or are you citing stats with an absolute lack of context?

Straw-man, and ad hominem to boot.

Are you saying these aren't mediocre numbers?

Howard isn't a BAD goalie. He's a mediocre goalie. He's average. There's nothing wrong with that. He plays just good enough most nights to net us a win. I'll admit I didn't watch the game tonight but if he only gave up two goalies you can't really blame him for the loss. 2 goals isn't that unreasonable to give up.

Now the problem arises when we factor in the rest of the team. If the defense is having a bad night (which has been happening a lot lately), Howard isn't going to be the kind of guy that can steal a game for us. Is he god awful and needs to be shipped out of town? No because we don't have any better alternative. As much as I want Osgood to be our man and play dominant like he once was, he still has to prove himself especially coming off surgery.

So what you guys should really be focusing on his how horribly inconsistent both the offense and defense has been. We're getting what we payed for in Howard. An average goalie who isn't going to steal games every night, but rather keeping us hanging around. If the defense tightens up, that GAA will drop. The problem is, the team as a whole is either playing bored or undisciplined.

Howard isn't a BAD goalie. He's a mediocre goalie. He's average. There's nothing wrong with that. He plays just good enough most nights to net us a win. I'll admit I didn't watch the game tonight but if he only gave up two goalies you can't really blame him for the loss. 2 goals isn't that unreasonable to give up.

Now the problem arises when we factor in the rest of the team. If the defense is having a bad night (which has been happening a lot lately), Howard isn't going to be the kind of guy that can steal a game for us. Is he god awful and needs to be shipped out of town? No because we don't have any better alternative. As much as I want Osgood to be our man and play dominant like he once was, he still has to prove himself especially coming off surgery.

So what you guys should really be focusing on his how horribly inconsistent both the offense and defense has been. We're getting what we payed for in Howard. An average goalie who isn't going to steal games every night, but rather keeping us hanging around. If the defense tightens up, that GAA will drop. The problem is, the team as a whole is either playing bored or undisciplined.

If his GAA was 2.00, most of us would be happy.

I don't think he played all that well tonight, and the best forward again was Helm. I'd like to see a full team effort not just one player giving his all

Guest Crymson

Straw-man, and ad hominem to boot.

Are you saying these aren't mediocre numbers?

Big words.

I'm saying that these numbers are taken far out of context, and are not true reflections of how well Howard has played. It's all well and good for people like you to point at stats and say "Wow, that's bad!" But do the stats reflect Howard's play if he stops 18 shots out of 21 (.857) but was left out to dry on two of the three goals that went in? No, they don't. And though Howard has had some bad games (just as any goalie in the league)--and some great ones as well, mind you--that's how it has been in far too much of the season so far.

ACtually Ozzie only gave up 1 bad goal that game (the 2nd one) and it was his 400th win... how about you at least get the 400th part right and show him some respect. Secondly, Ozzie also made 46 saves that night and was the ONLY reason they won that game. Howard consistantly lets in weak goals at bad times (how many times have we had bad goals scored against us in say the final minute of a period this year). People are just nieve to beleive that Howard is still the answer... even in the playoffs last year, Howard was not that good and was largely inconsistent. Goaltending is NOT the only problem for this team; that would be an unfair judgement. We have lines that are not working, Rafi out of the line-up, messed up D pairings, etc. BUT, we have to ask when does Howard ever really make saves to keep us in games? Too often is he letting in weak goals, and usually 3 or 4 goals a game at that... I am not saying Ozzie is the answer, but is it not worth a try? Try to shake things up... losing 4 in a row, we got nothing to lose here especially if he is able to get going.

Whoops, 400. Right. Regardless, my point is that the goalie giving up a soft goal does not "deflate" the team and cause it to lose. Teams come back. To imply that Howard "sucked all the energy out of the team" by giving up one soft goal tonight is to imply that Howard was responsible for the lack of offense, and that is beyond unfair to him.

Bert and Franzen are definitely cold, but Filppula has been playing more of a perimeter game since he has returned, which is frustrating.

I won't disagree.

I don't think he played all that well tonight, and the best forward again was Helm. I'd like to see a full team effort not just one player giving his all

He wasn't amazing, but he played well and was one of our best forwards. Again, that isn't saying much. Zetterberg had a better night than he has had in a while I thought. Helm wasn't that special other than his fluky goal.