• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jollymania

Lessard ejected for clean hit

Rate this topic

Things that were wrong with Lessard's hit:

It was charging in that he took multiple strides gearing up for the hit.

It was elbowing, as he led with his elbow and that was the initial contact point.

It was a head-shot in that he hit the player in the head as the principal point of contact.

Lessard should be happy if that game is the only one.

Go watch figure skating...it's not a charge, he didnt lead with his elbow and the guy was bent over how was he supposed to not hit him somewhere around head? Get your f***in head up. I don't defend goons who cant skate like Lessard and I want the blatant head shots out of the game but if anything that meathead read the play pretty well and threw a good solid hit.

and there are more, either they are not coming to my head or they aren't on yt, there are also ones like the Thornton or Paille hits that aren't universally agreed upon as blindisdes

Questionable hits ya, but how many of those were more than a duece? I only saw 2, maybe 3 where they were given a 5+game. Bad calls happen every game, we're talking about ejections...weren't we?

Questionable hits ya, but how many of those were more than a duece? I only saw 2, maybe 3 where they were given a 5+game. Bad calls happen every game, we're talking about ejections...weren't we?

i count the ones that received fines as worse as being ejected, and even so, this is only a chunk of the bad calls and they have been a regular occurrence, yes they are bad calls, but it is stemming from the media hysteria over head hits

and there are more, either they are not coming to my head or they aren't

on yt, there are also ones like the Thornton or Paille hits that aren't universally agreed upon as blindisdes

seeing the game of hockey ruined like this keeps me up at night.

this hysteria/witch hunt needs to end ******* now! hitting is one of the most important, and entertaining parts of the game. im just so sick of the bulls*** changes to the game, oh no people get hurt, well its hockey and it happens but these clean hockey hits NEED to stop being penalized. hockey is slowly being turned into soccer and the people responsible for this need to be rid of, as someone said in the bettman thread, wheres a sniper when you need one.

Edited by wings1110

Guest Shoreline

i count the ones that received fines as worse as being ejected, and even so, this is only a chunk of the bad calls and they have been a regular occurrence, yes they are bad calls, but it is stemming from the media hysteria over head hits

I agree.

At this point I'm not even sure what the league is trying to accomplish.

I do know the US media is doing a fine job of what they're set out to accomplish -- make some waves to get ratings. Just for kicks I went over to the MSNBC and CNN webpages only to see this as one of the major stories on their list. Hadn't seen any other NHL story in many moons. This media sucks balls, and I guess quite a large number of people easily influenced by it do too.

Edited by Shoreline

I agree.

At this point I'm not even sure what the league is trying to accomplish.

I do know the US media is doing a fine job of what they're set out to accomplish -- make some waves to get ratings. Just for kicks I went over to the MSNBC and CNN webpages only to see this as one of the major stories on their list. Hadn't seen any other NHL story in many moons. This media sucks balls, and I guess quite a large number of people easily influenced by it do too.

I agree. There was an interesting point brought up on TSN/Leafs game the other night about the rule changes to increases the speed of the game. The point is that taking out the red-line, adding the trapezoid, decreasing interference, etc have increased the injuries were seeing. I'm in favor of removing the trapezoid, and allowing the Burke 'bear-hug' rule.

Another good point was that the new hitting rules lower the incentive for players to play with their head-up. Catching someone with a big hit with their head down has always been a big part of hockey, and I hope it isn't eliminated by the new rules. While there should be responsibility placed on the hitter, taking responsibility away from the player being hit (if their head is down) shouldn't happen.

EDIT- I also support reducing the size of shoulder pads. It's ridiculous that the players are wearing such large ones.

Edited by WorkingOvertime

one thing that all these videos have in common is that players wanted to get after the player that made the hit (even though they were clean). the NHL doesnt need to punish these players that are making the hit, get rid of the instigator rule and they will self police. Players would rather get suspended or fined then get their ass kicked. (im not saying the nhl shouldnt do anything about the blindside head hits but this is just rediculas) the more the NHL tries to control the players the worse things will be, back in the day before the nhl was being turned into soccer this s*** didnt happen, you played dirty, you get ur ass kicked.

one thing that all these videos have in common is that players wanted to get after the player that made the hit (even though they were clean). the NHL doesnt need to punish these players that are making the hit, get rid of the instigator rule and they will self police. Players would rather get suspended or fined then get their ass kicked. (im not saying the nhl shouldnt do anything about the blindside head hits but this is just rediculas) the more the NHL tries to control the players the worse things will be, back in the day before the nhl was being turned into soccer this s*** didnt happen, you played dirty, you get ur ass kicked.

You are such a ******* sheep. The instigator does not cause cheap shots, allow more opportunity for cheap shots, or anything of the sort.

Having a reduced number of enforcers in the league has reduced teams' ability to respond to cheap hits, but those cheap hits have for the same reason reduced in frequency. The instigator being eliminated doesn't prevent cheap shots because players who are going to do that will do so regardless of the consequences. See: Ulf Samuelsson, Bryan Marchment.

and there are more, either they are not coming to my head or they aren't on yt, there are also ones like the Thornton or Paille hits that aren't universally agreed upon as blindisdes

Just looking at the first few, your list of "bad calls" is not exactly full of bad calls. Edler's hit was nothing but head, as was Foligno's. Stamkos' hit on Campbell was probably the most dangerous of all; knocking a guy into the boards like that is the kind of stuff that ends careers. Ohlund went in elbows first on his hit, Powe's hit can arguably be called elbowing on instant-replay; and given the fact that refs don't have video review instantly that's a good call.

I can see in the very near future, that uniforms will include skirts with them.

Your NHL chances are improving, then?

Just looking at the first few, your list of "bad calls" is not exactly full of bad calls. Edler's hit was nothing but head, as was Foligno's. Stamkos' hit on Campbell was probably the most dangerous of all; knocking a guy into the boards like that is the kind of stuff that ends careers. Ohlund went in elbows first on his hit, Powe's hit can arguably be called elbowing on instant-replay; and given the fact that refs don't have video review instantly that's a good call.

Your NHL chances are improving, then?

go watch soccer

go watch soccer

Yep, because I point out that some of the videos show legit penalties, I should go watch soccer.

Have you ever taken a slapshot off of the top of your foot? How about your wrist? Or better yet, have you ever had the joy of being boarded the way Campbell was by Stamkos?

Maybe you should experience some of these things before you act like a complete f***wad.

Yep, because I point out that some of the videos show legit penalties, I should go watch soccer.

Have you ever taken a slapshot off of the top of your foot? How about your wrist? Or better yet, have you ever had the joy of being boarded the way Campbell was by Stamkos?

Maybe you should experience some of these things before you act like a complete f***wad.

I have taken slapshots everywhere as i usually play the role of homer on my team, and i have experienced a hit like the stamkos one, I got up fine, in fact it was premeditated as the shift before I shot the guy who hit me's stick down the ice. Some of the others I didn't experience because i didn't skate with my head down

those aren't penalties and if you think they are soccer is a much more suitable sport

Go watch figure skating...it's not a charge, he didnt lead with his elbow and the guy was bent over how was he supposed to not hit him somewhere around head? Get your f***in head up. I don't defend goons who cant skate like Lessard and I want the blatant head shots out of the game but if anything that meathead read the play pretty well and threw a good solid hit.

This.

Close, but not a charge. So close in fact that I while I don't agree I could see the ref giving him a 2 min charging call considering their view from the ice and the speed of the game. But a misconduct? You gotta be f'ing kidding...

Edited by hamip1998

What's with all this "go watch soccer" bulls***? Knock it off.

Do you have an actual opinion on the the topic or are you here just to police the conversation?

Clean hit imo, looked way worse than it was because, like someone else pointed out, he looked confused while he was down on the ice. Looked like he could have been knocked silly a little. I can see why the refs maybe misread the situation.

On Kronner... seems like he's been told to back off on the hits a little this season by management. He's playing well enough positionally this season that he could have had a bunch of big ones by now. I think he's been told to play it safe. Of course, I can't back that up. :)

I have taken slapshots everywhere as i usually play the role of homer on my team, and i have experienced a hit like the stamkos one, I got up fine, in fact it was premeditated as the shift before I shot the guy who hit me's stick down the ice. Some of the others I didn't experience because i didn't skate with my head down

those aren't penalties and if you think they are soccer is a much more suitable sport

You officially don't know the basic rules of hockey that have been around for several decades.