• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Pat

Zetterberg Injury Update

Rate this topic

DETROIT FREE PRESS--Detroit Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg remains sidelined with a second-degree MCL sprain in his left knee, but he took a tender first step today and skated for about 15 minutes.

“It was fun to be out there, feel the puck again,” Zetterberg said. “I didn’t do any serious stuff -- just go out and stickhandle a little bit, lob some shots, and that’s about it.”

Zetterberg’s injury normally takes three weeks to heal, and it only has been a week since he got hurt April 6 at Carolina.

As long as things are going well for the Wings in their first-round series against Phoenix -- they won Game 1, 4-2, on Wednesday -- Zetterberg will remain on the sideline.

“It’s a lot easier to be on the side when the team is winning,” Zetterberg said. “It was a really good start for them, and I think we played well and, hopefully, we can have the same effort on Saturday.”

Forward Mike Modano, defenseman Jakub Kindl and goalie Chris Osgood were the only Wings regulars who skated today, as most players took advantage of a two-day break before Game 2.

“I told everyone it was an optional and not to go on the ice,” coach Mike Babcock said. “When are we next going to have the chance for a day off?”

http://www.freep.com/article/20110414/SPORTS05/110414031/Wings-Zetterberg-skates-bit-return-not-imminent?odyssey=nav|head

Discuss

Edited by Pat

I say kudos to those who chose to get some work in. :thumbup: Its dedication to the team like that that earns Stanley. Who knows if some freak occurence happens and we might need Mo to come play. Im glad they all skated and I wish the best for Z. Hopefully we can do well enough to give him this round off so that he can rehab and rest up so we can have him at near 100% if we advance.

It's good that he is resting and obviously the better the Wings do right now the more rest he can get but seeing as it's only been a week and typically it's a 3 week injury if the Wings were to drop a couple of games that isnt exactlty encouraging. That being said, Im not expecting them to drop the next couple by any stretch of the imagination. Hopefully Z is ready for round 2 as I fully expect the Wings to be playing

Given his injury, I don't want to see him back before game 4. Worst case is that the Wings are down a game and Z has only had two weeks to recover. Best case is that the Wings are up 3 games, in which case he can sit for game 4 also.

I'd rather he be in now, but he's injured... so that's not happening. Knee injuries will kill your career, and the Wings are deep enough to beat Phoenix missing one (or even two) of Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Datsyuk so long as the team on the ice plays hard.

What do injured players do during the game? Do they sit in the press box and watch, or do they just stay home?

If it's a home game, they usually chill in the press box. If it's on the road, depending on how injured they are, they stay at home.

More so than anything, I'm just thrilled the supposed long-end of the timetable is 2 more weeks. I was seriously concerned about a more lingering injury that would shelve Z until the middle of the playoffs or later.

Great news! :thumbup:

this

even if it does take a couple more weeks it means he should at least be back for the start of round two :)

Rest up, Hank. Even with the amazing flow and puck control we played with last night, I was still missing his presence out there the entire game. We need our playoff rock out there. Encouraging to see this performance out of this group without #40 out there though. thumbup.gif

Good to see Mo out there working as well. I hope I see him play sometime in this playoff run because I think he has a chip on his shoulder.

Of course the news about Hank is positive and as long as we are winning the series I say let him rest.

From MLive:

The earliest the team believes Zetterberg can return is Game 6 on April 24. Ideally, the Red Wings hope they can win the series without him and have him ready for the start of the next round.

I'll feel a lot better about that approach if it's 2-0 going to Glendale.

I have had one of those before and they are a pain in the ass as a goalie. I was out for 3 weeks too as I couldn't butterfly or push off without pain. Could I have played? Yes, but I wouldn't have been very good. I am glad to hear that Zetterberg is not seriously injured. I think sitting him would be a good thing. Let him heal up, and then come back strong.

This I agree with.

This, not so much.

So if we can go 16-0, you wouldn't want Zata to rest his knee? So regardless we would win every game without him, you'd still want Zata out their risking further injury? This perplexes me in this hypothetical world!

Well if they won the Cup without Hank playing it wouldn't mean much to him. He is extremely competetive and would want to be a part of the Cup run... so if he would rather be in the line-up than I would also rather him be in as he is a key component to this team and together him and Pavs are the best line in hockey... I can't see many teams getting in the way of Pavs this postseason... he has looked like a man on a mission all year; especially with Hank.