• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cupforwings

Why detroit is hockeytown

Rate this topic

I used to watch the Bulls when I was a young kid and everyone else on the planet was, but ever since, I just don't get the appeal. At all. If you catch the last 3 minutes of play, you'll get the gist of it, and about 20 minutes of inbound, foul, free throw, repeat. Honestly, once you've seen one slam dunk where the player pounds his chest and roars like "look how high I jump", you've seen it all. When games end 108 to 102, what is the significance of the first 45 minutes and 90 points or so?

Typical "exciting" Basketball play: player drives the net, maybe getting slapped on the hand and getting to halt play and get a free throw, maybe continuing for a lay up or dunk. Either way, limited impact on the game (0-2% of the final score), teams immediately start play the other way, whether there is a score or not.

Typical exciting Hockey play(s): player skates at 20+ mph along the boards before he is hit by an opposing player, knocking him off stride flat onto his back to free the puck; players work a give and go on a 2-on-1 break away where either the defenseman manages to prevent the pass or the goaltender makes a miraculous save, huge impact on the game (0-25%+ of the final score). Games can be won in the first period or in the final minute.

There is something very basic, boring, and beerpong-esque about it. Terrible comparison, but here goes: outside of the pay, the marketing, and the obvious athletic superiority, what separates the show-boating NBA player who sinks a basic jump shot and then leaves his hand goose-necked halfway back up the court from the ******-bag fratboy who drains a cup in beerpong and then chest bumps his "bro" and calls you a "***"? There are only 10 cups in beerpong :P

I used to watch the Bulls when I was a young kid and everyone else on the planet was, but ever since, I just don't get the appeal. At all. If you catch the last 3 minutes of play, you'll get the gist of it, and about 20 minutes of inbound, foul, free throw, repeat. Honestly, once you've seen one slam dunk where the player pounds his chest and roars like "look how high I jump", you've seen it all. When games end 108 to 102, what is the significance of the first 45 minutes and 90 points or so?

Typical "exciting" Basketball play: player drives the net, maybe getting slapped on the hand and getting to halt play and get a free throw, maybe continuing for a lay up or dunk. Either way, limited impact on the game (0-2% of the final score), teams immediately start play the other way, whether there is a score or not.

Typical exciting Hockey play(s): player skates at 20+ mph along the boards before he is hit by an opposing player, knocking him off stride flat onto his back to free the puck; players work a give and go on a 2-on-1 break away where either the defenseman manages to prevent the pass or the goaltender makes a miraculous save, huge impact on the game (0-25%+ of the final score). Games can be won in the first period or in the final minute.

There is something very basic, boring, and beerpong-esque about it. Terrible comparison, but here goes: outside of the pay, the marketing, and the obvious athletic superiority, what separates the show-boating NBA player who sinks a basic jump shot and then leaves his hand goose-necked halfway back up the court from the ******-bag fratboy who drains a cup in beerpong and then chest bumps his "bro" and calls you a "***"? There are only 10 cups in beerpong :P

i dont think youre that far off on the beer pong comparison.

also, your typical NBA fight consists of one guy taking a dainty little swipe at someone and then running off like a little ***** and a bunch of other guys bumping chests and talking s***. theres no running rfom a fight in hockey unless you want to be branded a gutless coward

Edited by Robby2419

Really? Are you sure? I haven't seen numbers but I was under the impression that nobody watched the NBA finals.

Positive. The most-watched NHL game since 1974 was last year's Game 6, which got a 4.7 rating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Cup_Finals_television_ratings

The lowest-rated NBA Finals game of the past fourteen years got a 5.2, which was in 2003. Last year's Game 7 got 18.2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Basketball_Association_Nielsen_ratings