• This topic is locked This topic is locked
217 replies to this topic

#121 Grim

Grim

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:05 PM

neither has the wings PK. one of those will change, it's just a matter of which one.

hard to be overly analytical when the Coyotes were being gifted PPs with game already decided.

#122 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:06 PM

The return of Zetterberg should help improve the PK.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#123 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:07 PM

The return of Zetterberg should help improve the PK.

Hopefully Babcock will also dust off the ol' Lidstrom and stick him on the PK now that they're up against some real scorers.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#124 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:11 PM

Last year, the Wings couldn't do anything right in the 3rd period against San Jose. I know the officiating was bad, but Detroit couldn't get it done in the clutch. That was the opposite of what happened in 2007, when San Jose fell apart in the 3rd periods.

That was the difference from last year and 2007.

^This.

Last year the officiating put them in early holes, but they were still in every game in the 3rd period, just couldn't reach that last gear we as fans have become accustomed to.

Hopefully with a more rested team and a healthy Zetterberg the extra gear will be there when we need it, and hopefully we don't fall behind early bad officiating or not.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#125 Kind Herb

Kind Herb

Draftee

• 11 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:11 PM

Aloha LGW!

Been waiting for this one. Despite what most Sharks fans have been saying, I know that the road to Stanley goes through Detroit.

It's going to be a tough series, and the winner of this matchup will go on to the Stanley Cup finals. And it's going to be San Jose! :D

#126 LeonardSankar

LeonardSankar

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:20 PM

Aloha LGW!

Been waiting for this one. Despite what most Sharks fans have been saying, I know that the road to Stanley goes through Detroit.

It's going to be a tough series, and the winner of this matchup will go on to the Stanley Cup finals. And it's going to be San Jose! :D

I guess your assuming Nashville will beat Vancouver? I don't think the Sharks will beat the Canucks if they get that matchup so yea I wouldn't be surprised if they beat the Wings but they ain't winning a Cup as I'll take Vancouver or even Washington over San Jose if they get those matchups.

#127 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:32 PM

Some of the schedule is up now via Red Wings twitter. Updated in the OP.

Edited by Shoreline, 27 April 2011 - 03:32 PM.

#128 I Red Wings I

I Red Wings I

Holy mackerel!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:32 PM

The travel issue is irrelevant, as it works both ways. All four teams will be traveling.

#129 Grypho

Grypho

Sharks Fan

• HoF Booster
  • 487 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:42 PM

Referring to my statement that I had hoped for a Sharks/Wings WCF instead of a repeat of last year:

I think you're overestimating how much Wings fans care about the Sharks. Sharks fans may see the Wings as a rival, but I don't think that Wings fans really see the Sharks as such. If anything, people here just detest the Sharks for being such a gang of whining divers last playoff year.

So, in other words, "They are too detested and disrespected to be worthy of being called a rival."?

Sounds like so much hyperbole to me. I think there is enough playoff history between the two teams, and enough sentiment expressed just on this board, to call it a bona fide playoff rivalry, without requiring that Wings fans "care" about the Sharks, or even respect them as a team. I don't think most Wings fan "care" about the Hawks or the Preds either, but that doesn't mean there's no rivalry with these teams.

Caring would be only something I feel - just me - about both teams, as a Wings fan, second only to the Sharks. I get the fact that many Wings fans see the Sharks as "a gang of whining divers", and that some actually "hate" the Sharks (as stated many times on the boards, for whatever their reasons). I accept that, no sweat here, it doesn't affect how I feel about either team. But "hate", not "care" is the word usually reserved for rivals.

#130 themule93

themule93

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

helm is gunna do exactly what he did to jovanovski to some member of the sharks defence and make him completely useless. thus making a s***ty defensive squad s***tier.

#131 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:47 PM

Marleau-Thornton-Setoguchi
Clowe-Couture-Heatley
Wellwood-Pavelski-Mitchell
McGinn-Nichol-Mayers

Murray-Boyle
Vlasic-Demers
White-Wallin

Niemi

Who do you guys want matching up against each line?

Edited by Mabuhay Red Wings, 27 April 2011 - 04:47 PM.

#132 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:54 PM

Hopefully this year the Sharks will play like men, instead of last year's horrible display of diving, flipping, and flopping to draw penalties.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#133 themule93

themule93

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:59 PM

I think we should match up the Joe Thornton line with Datsyuk's to frustrate the s*** out of Joe who wont be able to keep the puck on his stick. Match Zetterberg/Filppula with the second line and so on. That's just me tho :P [/font]

#134 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:06 PM

I'd view the Sharks as a rival, and perhaps even respect them if they weren't gifted the series. Having a 10-4 PP advantage in a single game is pretty ridiculous, if I remember correctly. Especially considering most of the calls were mediocre at best. I generally don't look for any team to be routed, but I hope Detroit absolutely embarrasses the Sharks to make up for last year.

#135 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:07 PM

What's the story with Franzen? Will he be back in time for Game 1?

#136 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:16 PM

If we win one of the two in SJ, I think our chances will be exponentially better. Get 'em while they're
still recovering from their last series. Make it more of a psychological obstacle they would have to overcome, both physically and mentally. Make them chase and react right off the bat. Or the puck drop. Or whatever.

Which means that the Wings have got to lay it on from the first whistle to the last second. It ain't like they're not rested enough to do that.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#137 stuck in socal

stuck in socal

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:38 PM

If we win one of the two in SJ, I think our chances will be exponentially better. Get 'em while they're
still recovering from their last series. Make it more of a psychological obstacle they would have to overcome, both physically and mentally. Make them chase and react right off the bat. Or the puck drop. Or whatever.

Which means that the Wings have got to lay it on from the first whistle to the last second. It ain't like they're not rested enough to do that.

:clap:
Playoff Time. Let's Go Red Wings!!!!

#138 vegas_shark

vegas_shark

Draftee

• 11 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:57 PM

Greetings Wing-Nuts! So we meet again. Nice to see the overflowing optimism from the LGW posters.

This is gonna be one hell of a series. An all out war that I think goes the limit. The Sharks D-corps and goaltending mostly sucked vs. LA, but were outstanding in the last half of the season. I expect our boys to play up to the level of a quality opponent in the WCSF. As is true of most playoff series, I think goaltending and special teams will decide this one. I also think, like many series between equally matched teams, a role player from the third or fourth line will be a deciding factor. The Wings destroyed the Yotes but, after sitting around for 10 days, will they be able to turn on the playoff intensity again?

But rehashing last year's series is meaningless. References to either team's first round series is pretty useless as certain teams always match-up better or worse with others. When the puck drops on Friday night it's gonna be about the team that works harder and wants it more. About which team is willing to make the sacrifices and pay the price to win.

Good luck Detroit, and may the best team in this series go on to win the Cup.
History Ain't Over Till It's Over.
History Comes Up Jumbo.

History Never Runs Out Of Tricks.
History Will Be Made.

Posted Image

#139 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:04 PM

Someone please explain this one to me.

Wings / Sharks series starts on Friday. Wings have been off for a week, SJ has been off for a day or two.

Vancouver / Nashville series starts on Thursday. Vancouver played a game 7 last night, and Nashville won their Game 6 a day or so ago.

Does this not make any sense to anyone else? Why are the Wings not playing Thursday instead of the team that just finished a Game 7?

Edited by AtomicPunk, 27 April 2011 - 07:12 PM.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#140 I Red Wings I

I Red Wings I

Holy mackerel!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:11 PM

Someone please explain this one to me.

Wings / Sharks series starts on Friday. Wings have been off for a week, SJ has been off for a day or two.

Vancouver / Nashville series starts on Thursday. Vancouver played a game 7 last night, and Nashville won their Game 6 a day or so ago.

Does this not make any sense to anyone else?

CBC would need game 1 to start tomorrow in order to have a game Saturday, Hockey Night in Canada. One could argue, why not have game 1 start Saturday?

That's just one of my guesses.