• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

WCSF Game 2 GDT: Red Wings 1 at Sharks 2

Rate this topic

One of the things that worries me most, is how ineffective Helm has been. Aside from his breakaway today, he has been nearly invisible, his hitting is not effective as he seems much smaller and weaker compared to these Sharks.

Oh, and Douglas Murray is a beast. We have no one who can handle him, Franzen, Todd, Cleary are all getting owned.

So playing great in round 1 and playing average in round 2 is worse than playing average in round 1 and playing s*** in round 2?

The ones I specifically called out are playing like s*** IMO.

Playing average is just as bad as playing like s*** come playoff time. Average is not good enough to win.

One of the things that worries me most, is how ineffective Helm has been. Aside from his breakaway today, he has been nearly invisible, his hitting is not effective as he seems much smaller and weaker compared to these Sharks.

Oh, and Douglas Murray is a beast. We have no one who can handle him, Franzen, Todd, Cleary are all getting owned.

I almost forgot about that.

That breakaway goal would have been huge for us, and may have turned the entire game around.

I think Helm is missing his older prototype Draper.

I almost forgot about that.

That breakaway goal would have been huge for us, and may have turned the entire game around.

I think Helm is missing his older prototype Draper.

Almost every time Helm has the puck I find myself screaming "FINISH HELM!" *misses on breakaway* "DAMMIT HELM! Yah gotta learn to finish kid!"

Edited by ZMAN

I really hope we can win on home ice. Something has to change though, so little intensity with our offense. Howard has been as good as we could ask for.

I don't think we have deserved either game. I hate to say it but I'm beginning to think the Sharks are just a better team than us at this stage. I know the margin has been close but the Sharks seem to be playing at such a higher pace than the wings. I feel like I'm watching a 60 minute penalty kill at times. I'm not usually so negative on this team but it's what I'm seeing out there right now..am I wrong? I hope so.

I agree 100%. I have not seen a Wings team look this bad any time in the last decade and a half. Even at even strength, the Sharks keep sustained pressure in our end for 2 minutes at a time, we clear it for a quick line shift and MAYBE a shot, only to be followed by the Sharks bringing it right back into the offensive zone for another 2 minutes.Something needs to change quick or this could be a sweep. The Sharks just seem to be playing with more fire and intensity, maybe because the perception is that they have underachieved the last few years and they are on a mission.

I would, at this point, bring up a couple high energy players(mursak and tatar) from the AHL for game 3. I would change up the lines, actually I would have changed up the lines after the first period in game 2. Babcock is not seeing how bad Detroit is getting outplayed.

I love my Detroit Red Wings but I agree with some changes having to be made in the off season. I would like to see some changes made on defense. Specifically bring in BIGGER and more PHYSICAL D-men.

I would also like to see some younger faster guys brought up from the AHL or get some trades going to increase our speed, grit, and size up front as well.

And to everyone who thinks I am saying Detroit is not superior by saying changes have to be made, then obviously you don't know that anytime you can make changes to benefit a team EVEN MORE does not understand common sense or sports. Everyone talks about Detroit's ultimate goal is to win the stanley cup every year but if you are lacking some players to do that the there is nothing wrong with making changes.

GO WINGS!

Almost every time Helm has the puck I find myself screaming "FINISH HELM!" *misses on breakaway* "DAMMIT HELM! Yah gotta learn to finish kid!"

If helmer would have scored on that breakaway this game may have turned out very differently. It would have given the Wings some momentum to build off of. I don't understand why he always shoots at the goalie's pad on the breakaway. He doesn't try to fake, he doesn't go top shelf. I wonder if he's either too excited that he doesn't think, or he thought he had someone right on his tail. He had all the time in the world to get that shot off yesterday.

If helmer would have scored on that breakaway this game may have turned out very differently. It would have given the Wings some momentum to build off of. I don't understand why he always shoots at the goalie's pad on the breakaway. He doesn't try to fake, he doesn't go top shelf. I wonder if he's either too excited that he doesn't think, or he thought he had someone right on his tail. He had all the time in the world to get that shot off yesterday.

Or he simply isn't that talented.

Or he simply isn't that talented.

He's done it a few times in the regular season, but more often than not he misses the shot. He may not be the most talented shooter, but I think in this case its more nerves than a talent issue.

In 2007 the Sharks "outmatched" Detroit and Detroit was the team that advanced. Yes, San Jose has been the better team but all it takes is two convincing wins to level the playing field not just on paper, but in the swagger of each respective team.

All I know is Detroit half-assed this game and only lost 2-1. They dominated 40% of Game 1 and lost 2-1 in overtime due to s***ty reffing.

If a half-assed Detroit team is forcing San Jose to eke out wins, no matter how dominant their play, once the Wings find a rhythm San Jose will be the team in trouble.

In 2007, Ron Wilson was the coach. Today, McLellan was hired to beat the Wings. Mission accomplished, yet not convincingly. Here is a quote from Joe Thornton after the game yesterday:

"Out of the seven playoff games we've played against Detroit these last two years," Thornton said, "six have been one-goal games. They could have gone either way."

The Sharks are an entirely different team than vs. the Kings. The physicality that LA brought is not matched by Detroit. Not even close. Goaltending is.

Still a lot more hockey left...

I would just like to point out that this is a Best of 7 series for a reason. Two games, no matter how dominant, do not determine the outcome of a series.

In 2007 the Sharks "outmatched" Detroit and Detroit was the team that advanced. Yes, San Jose has been the better team but all it takes is two convincing wins to level the playing field not just on paper, but in the swagger of each respective team. Two wins with consistent play will destroy the illusion that San Jose is some unbeatable monster. Detroit has beaten San Jose before and it can happen again. They just have to find the magic key, whether it's splitting up Datsyuk and Zetterberg, firing nonstop at the net, whatever it is. All I know is Detroit half-assed this game and only lost 2-1. They dominated 40% of Game 1 and lost 2-1 in overtime due to s***ty reffing.

If a half-assed Detroit team is forcing San Jose to eke out wins, no matter how dominant their play, once the Wings find a rhythm San Jose will be the team in trouble.

And until Game 3, we won't know what that magic key is or if the team can elevate like that. But for all the frustration this series is not over. And I'm not being one of those overly optimistic people who can't see the writing on the wall. San Jose has been the better team, but 2-0 series lead evaporate all the time.

EDIT: ANd all the old comments are just stupid. I'm sorry, but our core is in their prime. Only sports fans would look at something Average age 31 vs a team with an average age of 29 (pulling numbers out of thin air, but you get the point) and think it gives either team an edge. The fact is this team didn't have any luck, puck was bouncing over sticks and they were sloppy passing. They lacked intensity because they were getting frustrated. Maybe San Jose is getting into their head. All have nothing to do with age. What I do hope is that, win or lose, Flip is traded for a more reliable 2nd line center who can do more than make an impressive play once in a blue moon.

In fact, I'd argue the sloppy passing and cute plays were what cost Detroit most this game. If those passes were crisper and harder, not waffling through three San Jose players, and if someone would use their body and crash the net, things would begin to swing into Detroit's favor. Instead, what I'm seeing is one guy carry the puck in, take a long shot from just inside the blue line, and then race back when San Jose makes the long pass for a breakout. If they hold the puck and close in on the net, they will inevitably lose the puck but with clever support behind them a good play could result.

the wings dominated 40% of game 1? That must be the joke of the day. You are watching a different game (maybe in your dream?). and Detroit is not "half-assing" the game like you said. The mistakes they are making are forced by the aggressive play of SJ. THe wings are fighting in their own zone to try to get the puck so often that by the time they got the puck...they had to dump the puck and make a change. That's why you see the huge difference in SOG because SJ is spending way more time attacking than the wings does (basically controlling the play).

Man, another close game. If Helm put in that breakaway the Wings could have got some momentum but he just isn't a scorer also I feel bad for Nick. He ripped that shot past Niemi and only found post, that sound right there just felt like a Dagger for that game. Hopefully Jimmy can continue to play this well and Detroit needs to find their explosive offense again in Detroit to give him some help.

Sharks have been sickening on the puck possession. Aside from that, I don't totally feel like they have brought anything to this series that has left us with anything but a little adversity to get over. Split Hank and Pash up and unite on the PP. Has proven to not work with them on the same line. Hank has to be able to get the puck to Mule and Cleary can do the dirty work. That line needs a chance again.

This team needs more fan support. I find your lack of faith disturbing, LGW.

I'll eat my crow if we go down 3-0, but I think what a lot of people fail to see is that one good game on Wednesday and we're suddenly only down 2-1.

We win again in game 4 and it's best of 3. Do I think we can win? Of course. If we play like we care, then we're even more dangerous than the almighty Sharks seem to look to everyone. I know it's hard to believe after we played like we did in games 1 and 2, but hell, if any team in the NHL can overcome a 2-0 deficit, it's the Red Wings.

Once again the final score is not what we saw on the ice. The red wings for the 2nd time were outplayed by the skarks. No way! The only line that can hurt the sharks is the first one. This is mainly due the fact that we don't have a good (that can make the difference) 2nd line center (Flip???? OMG).

Hope that if we lose this series, Holland will make some changes and stopping thinking that flip is a great player or that he needs time to step up. Sorry but this is unacceptable.

For next year: 2nd line center (Marleau, Kessler ...), get rid of: Flip, Miller, Draper (sorry), Ozzy Lids: new contract, but for far less than his actual salary, if not possible... bye bye

Sometimas if you wanna improve, you have to make changes.

When you stated that you need a second line center (Marleau, Kessler) -- did you mean players of that ilk, or were you thinking of somehow acquiring one or more of those actual players? Because I gotta tell you to scratch Marleau off your wish list -- GM Doug Wilson is so in love with Patty Marleau that he will never ever trade him away or fail to sign him to contract extensions once they expre. Further, Patty loves the area and and has taken a hometown discount to stay on more than one occasion. And the real kicker is that Patty's wife wears the pants in the family (she doesn't even allow him to order what he wants at the local Peets Coffee), and is a local girl from SJ and will never allow him to leave the area. For better or worse, Patty Marleau will be the first SJ player to play his entire career in San Jose and get his number retired by us.

When you stated that you need a second line center (Marleau, Kessler) -- did you mean players of that ilk, or were you thinking of somehow acquiring one or more of those actual players? Because I gotta tell you to scratch Marleau off your wish list -- GM Doug Wilson is so in love with Patty Marleau that he will never ever trade him away or fail to sign him to contract extensions once they expre. Further, Patty loves the area and and has taken a hometown discount to stay on more than one occasion. And the real kicker is that Patty's wife wears the pants in the family (she doesn't even allow him to order what he wants at the local Peets Coffee), and is a local girl from SJ and will never allow him to leave the area. For better or worse, Patty Marleau will be the first SJ player to play his entire career in San Jose and get his number retired by us.

Not to mention, Marleau has often been invisible in the playoffs.

I've hardly seen him in this series.

Not to mention, Marleau has often been invisible in the playoffs.

I've hardly seen him in this series.

Yes, I know. It's been a bone of contention over at LGS. We're hoping he pulls his head out, soon, but he can go hot/cold in the playoffs. Kind of a streaky guy. We'll see which Patty shows up for game 3, I guess.