• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 Pat

Pat

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:47 AM

After watching the heartbreaking loss I realized that this may have been the last game I've ever seen of Lidstrom. It's a harsh reality that may occur during this years off-season. Babcock said in his postgame conference that Nick is a family guy, but he also did say that Nick would talk to him about his decision whether or not to continue playing.

All in all I believe he will come back for one more year, and will publicly say that next season would be his last. I believe he will take a deep pay cut in order for the wings to acquire a top end defenseman or forward, at a pay of 2-4 Million. (Brad Richards, Shea Weber, Zach Parise, etc)

I also believe Nick Lidstrom will win the Norris trophy this year, which will help him in the decision making process.

Discuss.

Edited by Pat, 13 May 2011 - 01:49 AM.

#2 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:49 AM

When this topic comes up I feel like I have no idea. I hope he comes back.

#3 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:54 AM

He knows he has more hockey left in him, he'll be back again next year. One year at a time. It'll be another long decisive decision but we'll be seeing #5 again next year.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#4 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:57 AM

I think it depends on what moves Holland makes, and if Lids feels that the team is improved for a Cup run. I suppose if Kenny kept everyone from this year and made zero changes, there would be more chance that Nick would retire. He won't waste his time.
IPB Image

#5 Blood On The Ice

Blood On The Ice

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:59 AM

He's already stated that he would be willing to move down to the 3rd and 4th defensive pairing in the future. That to me indicates he will be back.

#6 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:11 AM

He's already stated that he would be willing to move down to the 3rd and 4th defensive pairing in the future. That to me indicates he will be back.

When did he say that? Got a link?

#7 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,935 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:48 AM

Na hes 41, I think its a wrap. Hope im wrong. getting zach parise would bef****** incredible though. Hes like darren helm with a scoring touch

#8 YzerPucks19

YzerPucks19

Prospect

• 36 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:52 AM

Let's all hope and pray he stays. He still our best D at 41. :siren:
I found out that if you are going to win games, you had better be ready to adapt.

Scotty Bowman

#9 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:56 AM

I think he'll do 1 more year. Next summer will see a big change in the Wings roster as the likes of Rafalski, Bertuzzi + Holmstrom will all retire. I imagine Nick will be one of them, to start a new era in Wings history.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#10 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,935 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:57 AM

Let's all hope and pray he stays. He still our best D at 41. :siren:

IDK about that. kronwall made a decent case of best D this playoffs.

#11 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:19 AM

One more year!
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#12 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:42 AM

He'll be back. Not for any less then $5 mill after he wins the Norris.

Posted Image

#13 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:46 AM

I'm terrified to think of what this team would look like without him. Imagine our PP without Nick...it would be a night mare. He has to be the best offensive dman in hockey, I'm talkingo patience and poise with the puck in the offensive zone. Kronwall doesn't nearly compare and Rafalski has almost no patience or shot selection anymore.

I really hope Nick will take the Yzerman pay cut this year so we can make a splash this offseason. If this team comes back mostly untouched, I'm gonna be pretty disappointed. I'm of the camp that believes, for this team to go anywhere, more than a couple guys need to go. (Hudler, Modano, Osgood,Ericsson, Salei for sure and go from there)

Edited by achildr1, 13 May 2011 - 05:47 AM.

#14 Jenny

Jenny

Geeky Goalie Girl

• PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:09 AM

I believe he'll come back for another year. He made it clear this season that he hasn't lost the ability nor the desire to compete at a high level.

detroit-skyline.jpg

My priorities: 1-Hockey. 2-Sleep. 3-Food. 4-Everything Else.

No, Ozzie is NOT the Breakfast Wizard!" -- my husband

#15 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:54 AM

That was his last game as a Red Wing. He had an epic career but he knows his time in the NHL is over. He will likely go back to Sweden and play with the Olympic/World team there.
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#16 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:56 AM

he knows his time in the NHL is over.

Where do you get that impression?

#17 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:58 AM

That was his last game as a Red Wing. He had an epic career but he knows his time in the NHL is over. He will likely go back to Sweden and play with the Olympic/World team there.

Where would possibly make you ascertain something like this?
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#18 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:59 AM

What else does this man have to accomplish in the NHL? He has done EVERYTHING already.
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#19 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 856 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:23 AM

One more year! One more year!

In all seriousness, I don't think he's done with hockey. He's got one more year in him, at the least.

#20 Chris Avram

Chris Avram

Prospect

• 32 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:47 AM

As much as we love him, I think he's over payed. Time to go Nick, and built this franchise with the other Nick.