• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#181 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:12 AM

It would be hilarious if Lidstrom went to free agency one of these years, just to see what ridiculous amounts would get tossed his way (but still signed with the Wings regardless, of course).. I think the "why didn't he give us a discount?" crowd would be pretty shocked by the results.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#182 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:33 AM

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:showoff: :shocking: :notworthy: :yahoo: :drunk: :stanley: :octo: :deal: :champs: :beerbuddy: :flash: :clap: :siren:

#183 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:00 AM

It would be hilarious if Lidstrom went to free agency one of these years, just to see what ridiculous amounts would get tossed his way (but still signed with the Wings regardless, of course).. I think the "why didn't he give us a discount?" crowd would be pretty shocked by the results.

Good topic for discussion.

What would Lidstrom command on the open market these days and in his current condition?

#184 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:08 AM

Good topic for discussion.

What would Lidstrom command on the open market these days and in his current condition?

$7-10 million. Teams would line up, too. Just for a one year contract. It would be like asking guys how much they'd be willing to pay Marissa Miller for a night of fun.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#185 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:22 AM

$7-10 million. Teams would line up, too. Just for a one year contract. It would be like asking guys how much they'd be willing to pay Marissa Miller for a night of fun.

The number 7.5 came to mind but I didn't really have a reason for it. Maybe because Duncan Keith I think is the highest paid dman at 8mil.

And for the record, I'd pay more for a whole bunch of other options other than Marissa Miller. Not saying she's not hot. Obviously. Just not my cup of tea.

#186 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:30 AM

The number 7.5 came to mind but I didn't really have a reason for it. Maybe because Duncan Keith I think is the highest paid dman at 8mil.

And for the record, I'd pay more for a whole bunch of other options other than Marissa Miller. Not saying she's not hot. Obviously. Just not my cup of tea.

Who would be your cup of tea, good sir?
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#187 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:02 AM

Who would be your cup of tea, good sir?

Oh don't get me started. Haha. But I feel like I have to give you at least one name so... Laetitia Casta. She's a classic in my mind.

#188 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:18 AM

Finish this sentence.

If Nick doesn't win the Norris trophy tonight...

#189 jroach17

jroach17

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:36 AM

Finish this sentence.

It wouldn't be a huge surprise, since he finished the regular season as a minus, & they usually don't give the Norris Trophy for the top D in the league to a minus player.

#190 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:27 AM

Finish this sentence.

I'd be confused as to what the voters were looking at.

Chara had NO business even being voted top 3, same goes for Weber. If Lidstrom doesn't win, it'd be a crying shame. +/- doesn't matter when you had a goalie who was 30th in every statistical category, save for wins.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#191 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:51 AM

Then I say at least 8 because I would sign Lidstrom this year on a 1 year deal over Keith that's for sure. I have a feeling a lot of other teams would too.

PS- does anyone have a problem with 6.2? (I didnt think so)
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#192 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:22 AM

Chara had NO business even being voted top 3, same goes for Weber.

really? they had "NO business" even getting top-3 votes? so who should have rounded out the top 3?

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#193 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:39 AM

i really think lids will get the lady byng

#194 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,281 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:01 PM

I think Kevin Bieksa would be a good defensive partner.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#195 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:25 PM

I think Kevin Bieksa would be a good defensive partner.

As do I and many other fans here, but as has been reported, it looks like Vancouver is close to re-signing him and should have something finalized by the UFA period. Anything is possible, though.

#196 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:01 PM

This is such great news. I don't even want to think about what we would have had to do to replace Rafalski and Lidstrom in one off-season and now we don't have to worry about that. Great to have you back Captian Liddy!!

#197 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:13 PM

Simply put we have 4 players to sign and enough money to pay them each about 4.7 million and one is just a backup goalie. (assuming we move Hudler)

We are pretty good even with the 6.2 million.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#198 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:09 PM

This is obviously fantastic news, because we're better with Nick even at 85% than we are with no Nick at all. My question is, I haven't read through all 5 pages of this thread thus far......how many people bitched/complained/hemmed & hawed at the price of the contract? I would like to think the number is zero, but you never know.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#199 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:26 PM

Just saw this on NHL.com and thought it was crazy (link:http://www.nhl.com/i...6683#COMMENTTOP)

bigvig JUN. 22, 2011 5:28PM EST
Lidstrom has NO place in winning the Norris this year. For a defenseman with the Redwings who had 16 goals & 46 assists to be a MINUS 2, are you kidding me!? What exactly makes him even in the RUNNING this year!? Oh, his name. Right. Weber had 16 goals and 32 assists and was a plus 7. If youre one of the leagues best defenseman who puts up 50 points or close to it, and youre a MINUS, or barely in the plus column, that says youre on the ice for a LOT of goals. Then you take a look at Chara: 14 goals with 30 assists and a PLUS 33. There is NO denying Chara is the BEST shut-down d-man currently in the league. He plays against the oppositions BEST every night and puts up MONSTER numbers. Chara is the NEW Lidstrom. It would be a complete travesty for Lidstrom to win out over about 20 other guys in the league this year, let alone Weber or Chara.

Chara is the new Lidstrom, ok budd Posted Image
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#200 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:31 PM

Chara had a vezina finalist and conn smythe winner in behind him and Weber had a Vezina finalist behind him, no wonder their +/- were so high...
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".