• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RedArmy

McCrimmon, Salei on board Russian plane crash

Rate this topic

Rest in Peace Rusty and Brad and all of those on board. Such a horrible tragedy on a horrible scale.

I was supposed to do a ton of work all day, but I don't think I have it in me anymore. Can't stop thinking about this.

My thoughts go out to all of the families and friends of those involved. Can't even imagine how horrible it must be.

Dinamo Minsk's tribute to the Lokomotiv team is on their website.

http://hcdinamo.by/news/dynamo/1302.html

img_7676.JPG

Russian media (tv) has stated that Salei was on the plane and the plane crashed because it was over the weight limit. Whoever "checks" these planes before take-off ought to be better trained. Don't most of airplane accidents occur at take off and landing and most could have been prevented...

I think a worse fate ought to face this person if the plane was overweight and deemed OK to travel.

Unbelievable. Just unbelievable. This world is so cold. My thoughts and prayers out to all families affected.

My day was alright until I got out of class and read this. Holy s***. I don't even know what else to say.

That's exactly what I said out loud at work as I was reading the story, right when I got to Brad McCrimmon and Ruslan Salei's names.

That's the best way to describe it.

I recognize this feeling, now that I think about it.

February 18, 2001, the Daytona 500. I was a huge NASCAR fan in those days (hey, it's in the blood- Dad raced ARCA and ASA), and Dale Earnhardt Sr. was my favorite- I'd watched him race since I learned to walk.

Last lap, middle of the last pair of turns, Earnhardt got loose, turned the car and nailed the wall doing about 170. He died instantly, they say, basilar skull fracture. There was utter silence, it was palpable even on the TV feed. I remember Darrell Waltrip whispering under his breath "That's not good...", and then it became clear just how bad it really was.

It felt much like this. Athletes aren't supposed to die like this. It's supposed to be retirement, then years later, when even their fans are old and gray, then they set sail across the Jordan.

Not like this, no, never like this.

That's exactly what I said out loud at work as I was reading the story, right when I got to Brad McCrimmon and Ruslan Salei's names.

Yeah, in addition there's many other familiar names on there as well. Josef Vasicek (Former Carolina Hurricane), Pavol Demitra (Longtime St. Louis Blue), and Igor Korolev (Blackhawk for a short time). Just a horrible tragedy for the families of the players. My god.

This is just awful. Sorry to hear about all of the people aboard, but Salei's passing stings the most. Especially after all the conflicting reports which gave hope that maybe he wasn't one of the victims. He seemed like such a nice, humble guy who loved his family. It breaks my heart thinking about the fact that he just had a child.

That's the best way to describe it.

I recognize this feeling, now that I think about it.

February 18, 2001, the Daytona 500. I was a huge NASCAR fan in those days (hey, it's in the blood- Dad raced ARCA and ASA), and Dale Earnhardt Sr. was my favorite- I'd watched him race since I learned to walk.

Last lap, middle of the last pair of turns, Earnhardt got loose, turned the car and nailed the wall doing about 170. He died instantly, they say, basilar skull fracture. There was utter silence, it was palpable even on the TV feed. I remember Darrell Waltrip whispering under his breath "That's not good...", and then it became clear just how bad it really was.

It felt much like this. Athletes aren't supposed to die like this. It's supposed to be retirement, then years later, when even their fans are old and gray, then they set sail across the Jordan.

Not like this, no, never like this.

I remember that like it was yesterday. My Godson was about 3 or 4 at the time, and was a huge fan of #3. He even had the little suit. I remember his mother breaking the news to them, and them both crying together.

I'm just sitting here in tears. Do not want to go to work tonight.

@SlavaMalamud Slava Malamud

Legendary coach Viktor Tikhonov suggests every KHL team send at least one player to Lokomotiv to salvage the team's season.

With respect to Tikhonov, I think you have to wait to do any sort of resumption of hockey-based team activities. You can put 22 guys on the ice next week, with a new coaching staff, and wear the team's colours but they won't be Lokomotiv. They'd be a bunch of strangers in a very uncomfortable position.

Hire a coach, hire some staff, take a year off, hit the ice running next September.

I was actually having a good day too, driving in to work, I was thinking about everything I was going to get done today. Six hours into the day and I haven't done a damn thing. I saw the article on my RSS feed and immediately recognized the team name from the McCrimmon and Salei signings and a horrible feeling sank in. I'm in shock and can't even imagine what the families/friends are going through at this very moment.

Guest CaliWingsNut

I am almost glad I choose to sleep in today :(

I would have been a wreck looking at this page agonizing over who was or wasn't on the plane.

Horrid off season. So sad. :(

Edited by CaliWingsNut

R.I.P. LOKO PLAYERS...TRIBUTE...

....at 1.49 is the player that survived...Galimov, I hope he makes it

so many countries lost their palyers today...Czech's lost first line from last world cup, where they took gold

we lost some young talented players including Sobchenco andUruchev...they were part of the World Juniors team that won gold medal game against Canadians this year...

from what I have read here (Russia), Salei was on the plane...

btw the plane was charter V.I.P., this was not regularflight...the plane was not old like some of you said, manufactured in1994, believe it or not by aviation standard this is far from old...

also with regard to banned Russian jets, most russian jets are banned to due to higher noise levels as well as higher emission levels...does not mean they can't fly...

R.I.P. LOKO PLAYERS...TRIBUTE...

....at 1.49 is the player that survived...Galimov, I hope he makes it

so many countries lost their palyers today...Czech's lost first line from last world cup, where they took gold

we lost some young talented players including Sobchenco andUruchev...they were part of the World Juniors team that won gold medal game against Canadians this year...

from what I have read here (Russia), Salei was on the plane...

btw the plane was charter V.I.P., this was not regularflight...the plane was not old like some of you said, manufactured in1994, believe it or not by aviation standard this is far from old...

also with regard to banned Russian jets, most russian jets are banned to due to higher noise levels as well as higher emission levels...does not mean they can't fly...

Hello, lans, and welcome. Enjoy your stay.

Correct on the fact that made in 1993 or 1994 (I've seen both today) not necessarily being considered "old". The "age" of a plane is a function of number of pressurization cycles, just like how a set of springs on a car age with use. Without knowing the history of that particular Yak-24, you can't tell. For example, the B-52 still flies in the USAF, despite the last one being built in 1962, but given proper maintenance this is not a problem.