329 replies to this topic

#61 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:11 PM

Here's the hit:

With every new suspension I've been thinking how glad I am that there's no one in the Wings roster who'd do stuff like this.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#62 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:15 PM

That cookie tried to finesse through a big hitter at the last second who was initially aiming at the shoulder! No games!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#63 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:06 AM

He'll serve time for that as he should, severe lesson in finishing a good check. It wasn't Cookish' at all, to me Smith simply lined Smith up wrong. Good lesson.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#64 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,988 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:06 AM

He should get, at most, half of what Wisniewski got. Wiz intentionally targeted the head, no question, and was a three-time offender before his latest suspension.

The rest of the preseason and four regular season games. AT most.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#65 ilmickeyli

ilmickeyli

Meatwad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:11 AM

Do you guys think this will affect his chances at making the bigs this season?
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#66 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:20 AM

Do you guys think this will affect his chances at making the bigs this season?

It shouldn't, but then again, I'm not Kenny or Babs. However, here's what Babs had to say:

Link

After reviewing video, Red Wings coach Mike Babcock acknowledged that Brendan Smith's shoulder struck Ben Smith's head. But Babcock implied Ben Smith put himself into a bad position by trying to make an extra move as he closed in on the Detroit goal.

"Is there any responsibility on the puck carrier -- toe dragging, sliding sideways -- to look after himself," Babcock said. "I'm not saying our guy isn't guilty, but you'd better not put yourself in those situations.

"He (Brendan Smith) was trying to make body contact, but their guy did this and left his head there." Babcock added, while jerking his head to the side to imitate Ben Smith's motion just before the impact.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#67 Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

Greatness=PavelDatsyuk

First Line Center

• PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:44 AM

How would a suspension work for Smith when we send him down to GR? Would we have to call him up at one point and have him sit out for the suspension or would he just be required to sit it out in the AHL?

Posted Image

#68 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:14 AM

How would a suspension work for Smith when we send him down to GR? Would we have to call him up at one point and have him sit out for the suspension or would he just be required to sit it out in the AHL?

Link

According to the AHLís by-laws, a player who is under suspension in another league or organization who seeks to play in the AHL while under that suspension will have the relevant disciplinary matter independently reviewed by the President of the American Hockey League, who may in his discretion deem the player ineligible.

A few years old, but I still think it holds true.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#69 PrairieDawg

PrairieDawg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:34 AM

This is going to be interesting how Shanny reacts to this hit. In every video he has been emphasizing that the player with the puck didn't make a sudden movement right before the hit. Since Ben Smith did the toe drag moving his head forward and body back immediately prior to contact, it might be a clean hit. Not every play where someone gets their bell rung is a suspend-able hit.

#70 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:48 AM

No surprise here, a hearing has been scheduled for Smith: link.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#71 PrairieDawg

PrairieDawg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:30 AM

Wow could be 5+?

#72 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:20 AM

No surprise here, a hearing has been scheduled for Smith: link.

Some of those comments are beyond ridiculous. People need to use logic instead of getting all over the top emotional without even knowing the facts.

But, I agree with PrarieDog, this will be interesting to see what Shanny does, as it was most definitely a head hit, but the head was not the target and Ben Smith made a sudden movement at the very last second that unintentionally shifted Brendon Smith POA from the shoulder to the head.

#73 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:25 AM

Wow could be 5+?

Where are you seeing that?

I'm thinking more the rest of the preseason and 3-4 games.
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#74 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:33 AM

Where are you seeing that?

I'm thinking more the rest of the preseason and 3-4 games.

TSN.ca:

Smith's disciplinary hearing is deemed to be "in person", which gives the league the right to suspend him for five or more games. In this case though, the player is likely to waive his right to appear in person and will do so instead by phone.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#75 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:39 AM

TSN.ca:

So boyes only gets 2 preseason games for his hit which is very similar to smiths and smith could get 5 games??? doesn't seem right to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1azAb8RHHUw

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 29 September 2011 - 11:40 AM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

#76 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:49 AM

So boyes only gets 2 preseason games for his hit which is very similar to smiths and smith could get 5 games??? doesn't seem right to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1azAb8RHHUw

so judging by Shanny's explanation, smith should get 2 games just like Boyes, if any at all cause i think babcock is right and ben smith put himself in that position.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#77 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:00 PM

so judging by Shanny's explanation, smith should get 2 games just like Boyes

Actually, based on Shanny explaination there, Smith should only get 1 game if any, because Ben Smith DID make a sudden movement immediately before the hit, which caused the head hit to happen. And Shanny seems to be emphasizing in these videos the point of whether or not the player that got hit made any sudden movements prior to the hit, which caused the hit to the head to happen.

#78 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:01 PM

Ben Smith clearly put himself in that position. There was definitely contact to the head, but players have to be responsible for protecting themselves. I don't think it warrants a suspension, but the way it is getting called, its inevitable. I'd be upset to see any more than 2 games. Sounding like it will be more. It wasn't malicious. He didn't skate a path from the other end of the ice to drill him. Ben Smith zigged when he should of zagged and got hit.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#79 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:09 PM

Ben Smith clearly put himself in that position. There was definitely contact to the head, but players have to be responsible for protecting themselves. I don't think it warrants a suspension, but the way it is getting called, its inevitable. I'd be upset to see any more than 2 games. Sounding like it will be more. It wasn't malicious. He didn't skate a path from the other end of the ice to drill him. Ben Smith zigged when he should of zagged and got hit.

This is what I'm hoping for sure but i could see him getting a tad bit more just to prove a point. 3-4 games. But going by the Boyes hit he should only get 3 games at the most. Seeing that we only have i think 2 more preseason games...both of those and reg season game at the most. But i just get a weird feeling on this one like he's going to get like 4-5 reg season games. :scared:
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

#80 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:33 PM

so judging by Shanny's explanation, smith should get 2 games just like Boyes, if any at all cause i think babcock is right and ben smith put himself in that position.

Wait wait wait, Boyes only got 2 games for that? If that's the case, then I see no more than 1 for Smith. It's not brendan's fault that Ben likes the taste of shoulder pads.

But in all actuality, his suspension won't matter, since he'll be starting in the AHL and those suspended games will be happening while playing in GRap. This is of course if I am missing something where Smith needs to be a part of the active roster to count towards his games.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".