• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

#1 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:56 AM

Quite an interesting start to the 2011/2012 season. Mr. Shanahan is fairly busy already. I'll do my best to keep this list updated as they accumulate.

Jody Shelley: Remainder of preseason play and 5 regular season games for hit from behind on Toronto's Darryl Boyce.
Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond: Remainder of preseason play and 1 regular season game for hit from behind on Vancouver's Matt Clackson.
Brad Staubitz: Remainder of preseason play and 3 regular season games for hit from behind on Columbus' Cody Bass.
James Wisniewski: Remainder of preseason and 8 regular season games.
Brad Boyes: 2 games for hit to the head of Toronto's Joe Colborne.
J-F Jacques: Remainder of preaseason play and 5 regular season games for leaving bench to instigate a fight (in the last 5 minutes of a game).
Tom Sestito: Remainder of preseason play and 2 regular season games for hit from behind on the Rangers' Andre Deveaux.
Brendan Smith: Remainder of preseason and 5 regular season games for hit to the head of Chicago's Ben Smith.
Clarke MacArthur: 2 regular season games for hit to the head of Detroit's Justin Abdelkader.
Pierre-Marc Bouchard: 2 games for high stick on Columbus' Matt Calvert.
Kris Letang: 2 games for hit from behind on Winnipeg's Alexander Burmistrov.
Andre Deveaux: 3 games for hit
Max Pacioretty: 3 games for hit to the head of Pittsburgh's Kris Letang

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 29 November 2011 - 12:59 AM.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#2 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:57 AM

I love that detailed videos are added with each one so far. Seems like the NHL is now ahead of all the other leagues when it comes to fans understanding the whys of a suspension.

HTBanner400x100.jpg

#3 germanwing

germanwing

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 576 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:25 PM

2 games suspension for Boyes.

http://www.kuklaskor...medium=facebook

#4 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:14 AM

I love that detailed videos are added with each one so far. Seems like the NHL is now ahead of all the other leagues when it comes to fans understanding the whys of a suspension.

Sadly, this is the way the job could should have been done for a long, long time.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#5 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:43 AM

I LOVE THE SHANNY VIDEO!!!

Are you serious, how is it that the NFL hasn't started this, how is it that the lowly (in national media sense) NHL is on the cutting edge of this s***.
Shanny and the NHL are setting a precedence that I can almost guarantee will be in every league (maybe not MLB as they refuse to adapt or change from the legacy of the game) by the time their next seasons start.

The explanation of the Boyes suspension was spot on, even the fact that he mentions at the end, going forward Boyes will be a repeat offender. He explains that while Boyes' hit was unintentional he is saying it was reckless, and that is part of the rule.

The fact he doesn't just release the names and number of games is an improvement but the way he is doing it, far and away above the expectations I had for Shanny.

Complete transparency, he is calm cool and collected the whole time. Imagine that, the guy in charge of delivering suspensions appears to have no bias of any kind.

This process in and of itself will save the NHL a ton of Face value they lost of the past few years with jokes of suspensions, inconsistency, and an apparent bias towards the size of the players name.

I will end this tirade/rant/waste of internet space with this:

Shanny Comish in 2014, the players are going to take their game back. (give him a few seasons to return the league to a status in which fans trust the league offices)

Former player as commish, VP of safety, hell put former players in every single important league position, these guys understand the speed, strength, power, and that the game is played on the edge of Dangerous and beautiful.

Well done Shanny!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#6 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:03 PM

this thread will get far 2 long... Some suspensions are necessary, but im certain the suspensions will get out of hand, its hockey.

also if shanny got suspended everytime he laid good hits on people, he wouldnt have had an NHL career. its gunna get out of hand....

Edited by wings1110, 26 September 2011 - 03:04 PM.

#7 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:58 PM

Brad Staubitz: pre-season + 3 regular season games
NHL.com Shanahan video

James Wizniewski: pre-season + 8 regular season games
NHL.com Shanahan video

Edited by P. Marlowe, 27 September 2011 - 06:38 AM.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#8 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:10 PM

Interesting tweet from EJ Hradek on the Wizniewski suspension...

EJHradek_NHL EJ Hradek
Among scouts, the knock on Wisniewski is his lack of on-ice smarts. During his career, he has done little to prove them wrong.

I for one am glad Kenny didn't go out & overpay for him like C'Bus did. Makes me like that Ian White signing more & more.

#9 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:41 PM

Love the suspension videos/explanations.

Shanny is kicking ass IMO.

Shanabanned.
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#10 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:42 PM

Sestito from Philly will be on the list soon, as well.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#11 drumlife19

drumlife19

Prospect

• 42 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:59 PM

The Shana-hammer has dropped on your punk ass!
"When you have your skate on their throat, don't take it off... You play until the end..."

#12 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

In heaven, everything is fine.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:31 PM

Brad Staubitz: per-season + 3 regular season games
NHL.com Shanahan video

James Wizniewski: pre-season + 8 regular season games
NHL.com Shanahan video

Damn, that elbow just cost Wiz seven hundred thousand dollars. I bet he won't do that again!

#13 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:35 PM

Damn, that elbow just cost Wiz seven hundred thousand dollars. I bet he won't do that again!

:siren: WOW.
At the rate Shanny is handing out these suspensions, they should look at altering the fine. $700000 is ridiculous.

Edited by Danielsm, 26 September 2011 - 11:36 PM.

#14 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:08 AM

Now I'm glad we didn't go after the Wiz. He's a bit of a loose canon and liability.

#15 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:03 AM

These suspensions will tone down once these idiots realize who they are messing with.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#16 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:41 AM

I'm really liking of what Shanahan is doing. It will be interesting to see if players get the message or if there will stil be 5 suspensions a week in January.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#17 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:31 AM

With all the money coming in, Bettman can stop looking for a new buyer in Phoenix.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#18 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,478 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:58 AM

this thread will get far 2 long... Some suspensions are necessary, but im certain the suspensions will get out of hand, its hockey.

also if shanny got suspended everytime he laid good hits on people, he wouldnt have had an NHL career. its gunna get out of hand....

You know, I think it's attitudes like this that are the problem. With education comes positive change, that's what is happending now. I don't think hits to guys heads or hitting guys from behind into the boards, or elbowing guys in the head are "good hits on people." Perhaps a guy like Scott Stevens would have been suspended a lot under the new rules, perhaps he should have been, perhaps a few players careers would have been saved. You could go beyond that and suggest a few players quality of life could be saved.

Anyway, maybe, just maybe, these types of suspensions will actually be DETERRENTS, because the way it has gone up till now they haven't really been. The hope is that players will get the message and stop committing these types of acts and then you'll see the level of suspensions fall, hopefully dramatically.

#19 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:30 AM

You know, I think it's attitudes like this that are the problem. With education comes positive change, that's what is happending now. I don't think hits to guys heads or hitting guys from behind into the boards, or elbowing guys in the head are "good hits on people." Perhaps a guy like Scott Stevens would have been suspended a lot under the new rules, perhaps he should have been, perhaps a few players careers would have been saved. You could go beyond that and suggest a few players quality of life could be saved.

Anyway, maybe, just maybe, these types of suspensions will actually be DETERRENTS, because the way it has gone up till now they haven't really been. The hope is that players will get the message and stop committing these types of acts and then you'll see the level of suspensions fall, hopefully dramatically.

Im in no way saying that some suspensions shouldn't occur. But do you really thin Wiz should get 8 games for that? suspended? yes prolly, 8 games? no

And instead of suspending everyone, they could just bring the game back to pre lockout, those barely noticeable holds can prevent injuries. I just want hockey 2 be like it was in the 90's.

Edited by wings1110, 27 September 2011 - 09:32 AM.

#20 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:48 AM

Shanahan is doing a wonderful job. This should have happened sooner.

Goons and enforcers will soon have no place in the game. I'm loving it.

And yes, 8 game suspension and a $500k fine is appropriate. Shanahan 'gets it'. Hockey as we know it will be such a better sport in no time.