• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

The Official NHL Suspension Thread

Rate this topic

He completely flopped, but he still did take a headshot. It's like when you get hooked and embellish it, you still got hooked. IF he would have been grazed and flopped it would be different and I'd be shakin' my head at him, but he did take a nice shot on that. It's not like Jumbo Joe diving or any of the Nucks' diving after a tap someone. I think there is a fine line between diving and embellishing and to me AppleFritters embellished but didn't dive.

Fair enough. It's a play MacArthur didn't have to make. 2 game suspension seems to follow the pattern of the crack down. It's 2 regular season games, reportedly. So hopefully we see MacArthur and Abby settle it tonight :boxing:

Fair enough. It's a play MacArthur didn't have to make. 2 game suspension seems to follow the pattern of the crack down. It's 2 regular season games, reportedly. So hopefully we see MacArthur and Abby settle it tonight :boxing:

Wait, he's not out any preseason games, just regular season games?

TSN is reporting 2 regular season games. Many other suspensions have included the remainder of the preseason, so i'm a little puzzled by this, as well.

The Shanny clip is up at NHL.com. The Leaf is out for the remainder of preseason plus 2 regular season games. TSN must have pooched their report.

Shanahan didn't suspend Ryan Malone for this hit on Chris Campoli:

NHL.com

“In the end, we felt that Malone had committed to the hit when Campoli was upright. However, when the contact was made, Campoli's head position significantly changed just prior to the hit.

(...)

A video explanation of the Malone decision will be available on NHL.com later Monday.

"“In the end, we felt that Malone had committed to the hit when Campoli was upright. However, when the contact was made, Campoli's head position significantly changed just prior to the hit."

Uh..yeah I agree. But thats also the exact same thing that happened with the Brendan Smith/Ben Smith hit and you gave Brendan one of the longest suspensions thus far.

""In the end, we felt that Malone had committed to the hit when Campoli was upright. However, when the contact was made, Campoli's head position significantly changed just prior to the hit."

Uh..yeah I agree. But thats also the exact same thing that happened with the Brendan Smith/Ben Smith hit and you gave Brendan one of the longest suspensions thus far.

I agree. The Smith on Smith hit was going to be shoulder on shoulder and Ben Smith on his butt, but Ben Smith changed his position right at the last second to avoid getting planted. That should have been dealt with the same way.

Wow I'm getting a lot of negative votes lately for my comments about head shots and fighting. Again, doesn't bother me, I think somethings need to be said. You all realize the league is trying to get the game cleaned up before Crosby comes back, so some idiot doesn't take a run at him.

Personally I've been disgusted with head shots since Game 2 of the 2008 Final, when Pittsburgh players were punching Franzen in the head his first game back after having a concussion.

I think this is similar to when the game came back after the lockout and all those penalties were being called. Everyone adjusted, and I think the same thing will happen with head shots and fighting. We'll all adjust, and the game will be better.

I agree. The Smith on Smith hit was going to be shoulder on shoulder and Ben Smith on his butt, but Ben Smith changed his position right at the last second to avoid getting planted. That should have been dealt with the same way.

Shanny said in the ruling (and in my opinion the replay confirms) that the toe drag didn't significantly change the head position or direction he was skating.

Wow I'm getting a lot of negative votes lately for my comments about head shots and fighting. Again, doesn't bother me, I think somethings need to be said. You all realize the league is trying to get the game cleaned up before Crosby comes back, so some idiot doesn't take a run at him.

Personally I've been disgusted with head shots since Game 2 of the 2008 Final, when Pittsburgh players were punching Franzen in the head his first game back after having a concussion.

I think this is similar to when the game came back after the lockout and all those penalties were being called. Everyone adjusted, and I think the same thing will happen with head shots and fighting. We'll all adjust, and the game will be better.

Agreed. Right now it may seem like the sky is falling, but hockey is an evolving thing. There'll be a rough adjustment period but I think they'll figure out a level that keeps players safer without ruining hitting.

Exactly. Every year since the lockout the number of power-play opportunities per team has gone down. Last year was the lowest mark for Power play opportunities since the early 80s. Players adjust.

You guys see Shanny's Good Decisions/Good Hits video?

Great video.

That's the thing, it's not about removing hitting from the game. In the past players would almost always let up in those situations highlighted in the video. But over the years there's been a new breed of player. Guys like the Matt Cooke's, Raffi Torres, Tootoo's, who make their living running guys in vulnerable positions. Over time it became an acceptable part of the game.

You can get the headhunting out of the game and still leave plenty of opportunities for crushing hits.

We still using this thread? Just saw on Twitter from Bob McKenzie:

After all the panic during the pre-season there's been only one suspension since the start of the regular season. I'm glad if this means that players have already adjusted. Neither have I noticed a drop in the quality of the game that some feared. Could it be that regular season games are more important so players are concentrating more in all aspects of the game which includes keeping your hands down when hitting?

After all the panic during the pre-season there's been only one suspension since the start of the regular season. I'm glad if this means that players have already adjusted. Neither have I noticed a drop in the quality of the game that some feared. Could it be that regular season games are more important so players are concentrating more in all aspects of the game which includes keeping your hands down when hitting?

I think its been a combination of players being smarter in the regular season, but also a reduction in Shanahan's toughness. Right now there is a good balance IMO. The suspensions in the preseason sent a message. I think this hit some of the players, but at the same time I didn't think such a stringent standard could be kept up all season long.

TSN.ca

The NHL has suspended Pittsburgh Penguins defenceman Kris Letang two games for his hit on Winnipeg's Alexander Burmistrov on Monday night.

Letang was assessed a boarding penalty on the play.

Letang leads the Penguins with seven points so far this season.

Shanahan's video: NHL.com

Good. Letang's a cheap little ***** that gets the benefit of the doubt usually because he has some skill.

Its not just letang in my eyes I think the whole pens team gets babied. Except for cooke, the pens players get away with murder all the time.

Its not just letang in my eyes I think the whole pens team gets babied. Except for cooke, the pens players get away with murder all the time.

Did you hear the Pens broadcast with Errey making excuses right and left for Letang? I know some people think Ken and Mickey are homers, but even they'll call a spade a spade. On the Pens' broadcasts, though...they can do no wrong.

Did you hear the Pens broadcast with Errey making excuses right and left for Letang? I know some people think Ken and Mickey are homers, but even they'll call a spade a spade. On the Pens' broadcasts, though...they can do no wrong.

the pens announcing crew is easily the worst in the NHL. even their own fans want them fired