Season-Long Lines Thread

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

It would roll out like so:

Z/Dats/Flip

Franzen/Hudler/Cleary

Abdelkader/Helm/Bertuzzi

Holmstrom/Emmerton/Eaves

Hudler can't be your second line center defensively man. Not even close. Nyquist would be more realistic. And even that's not very realistic.

They should roll em like this:

Cleary-Pavs-Huds

Franzen-Zetterberger-Helm

Abdelkader-Filppula-Bertuzzi

Eaves-Helm-Miller

Put Holmstrom in Helm's 2nd line spot when the team is up by 2 or more or Helm needs a blow. Holmstrom on PP too.

:hysterical: I think Helm outta look somewhere else other than Holmstrom if he needs that! :hysterical:

I still look forward to:

Eaves - Helm - Cherry (I mean Cleary)

Edited by LeftWinger

Hudler can't be your second line center defensively man. Not even close. Nyquist would be more realistic. And even that's not very realistic.

Enough with Nyquist already. Why don't we bring up Nyquist, Tatar, Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, and Jurco and waive Franzen, Filppula, Hudler, Bertuzzi, and Holmstrom! Also, bring up Smith and Pyett and get rid of Commodore and Stuart. Finally, dump Conklin for Pearce.

We need youth on the team! The secret to winning is not skill or experience, but low average age! The Wings have had it wrong for the last twenty years, that's why they've only won four Cups despite not missing the playoffs!

Seriously. Hudler between Franzen and Cleary (or Franzen and Bertuzzi, for that matter) would be a killer line. I doubt Babs would ever use it unless two of Z/Dats/Flip were out; and even then I would bet he puts Franzen in the middle despite the fact I think it would work better with Hudler centering.

Enough with Nyquist already. Why don't we bring up Nyquist, Tatar, Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, and Jurco and waive Franzen, Filppula, Hudler, Bertuzzi, and Holmstrom! Also, bring up Smith and Pyett and get rid of Commodore and Stuart. Finally, dump Conklin for Pearce.

We need youth on the team! The secret to winning is not skill or experience, but low average age! The Wings have had it wrong for the last twenty years, that's why they've only won four Cups despite not missing the playoffs!

Seriously. Hudler between Franzen and Cleary (or Franzen and Bertuzzi, for that matter) would be a killer line. I doubt Babs would ever use it unless two of Z/Dats/Flip were out; and even then I would bet he puts Franzen in the middle despite the fact I think it would work better with Hudler centering.

In my opinion, the 3rd line of Abdelkader-Helm-Bertuzzi should stay together. They've looked very solid at both ends of the ice.

Hudler is a third line winger. Not a second line center.

Cleary-Datsyuk-Helm

Franzen-Zetterberg-Filppula

Hudler-Helm-Mursak

Eaves-Abdelkader-Emmerton

Holmstrom on the bench, except when we're up by 2 or more goals 5 on 5, or on the power play.

Guest blueadams

look, guy

1) i SAID it was un-realistic (you quoted me saying it!). so, i can't exactly say that i understand your anger there.

2) hudler can't play center on this team. no doubt about it. not even a debatable question. worst defensive player on our team. slowest skater on our team next to homer. and you want him to center the second line in our system, which requires EXCEPTIONAL defensive skill from it's centers. yikes.

Guest blueadams

Cleary-Datsyuk-Helm

Hudler-Helm-Mursak

Eaves-Abdelkader-Emmerton

Holmstrom on the bench, except when we're up by 2 or more goals 5 on 5, or on the power play.

did bertuzzi die?

...i think we need to start labeling our line proposals as either realistic possibilities...or as personal fantasies. this line, quoted above, i think would most definitely belong in the latter group. i think there's a very, very, very beyond slim chance that babcock totally revamps all four lines of an undefeated team. but that's just me. and i'm an idiot.

now...getting on to a more realistic change that i'd like to see...

Filppula-Datsyuk-Cleary - - - - - or - - - - - Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Cleary

Hudler-Zetterberg-Franzen - - - - - or - - - - - Hudler-Filppula-Franzen

Brunnstrom-Helm-Eaves

Abdelkader-Emmerton-Bertuzzi

Holmstrom

Miller

...first of all, i'd like to see pav and hank split up again (in non-critical situations). reason #1 - having the two best two-way centers in the game each centering their own line makes us a stronger team overall. reason #2 - it's no longer necessary to have them together because the once unrivaled chemistry pav had with hank, he now more or less has with val (in my opinion).

...second of all, i'd like to see us at least attempt to put together a third scoring line. the abby-helm-bert line has been great. substitute emmerton for helm and you've still got basically the same line. and the bonus is now you have a third line of brunnstrom-helm-eaves which can chip in a few goals and play very sound defensive hockey as well.

Edited by blueadams

did bertuzzi die?

...i think we need to start labeling our line proposals as either realistic possibilities...or as personal fantasies. this line, quoted above, i think would most definitely belong in the latter group. i think there's a very, very, very beyond slim chance that babcock totally revamps all four lines of an undefeated team. but that's just me. and i'm an idiot.

now...getting on to a more realistic change that i'd like to see...

Brunnstrom-Helm-Eaves

Holmstrom

Miller

...first of all, i'd like to see pav and hank split up again (in non-critical situations). reason #1 - having the two best two-way centers in the game each centering their own line makes us a stronger team overall. reason #2 - it's no longer necessary to have them together because the once unrivaled chemistry pav had with hank, he now more or less has with val (in my opinion).

...second of all, i'd like to see us at least attempt to put together a third scoring line. the abby-helm-bert line has been great. substitute emmerton for helm and you've still got basically the same line. and the bonus is now you have a third line of brunnstrom-helm-eaves which can chip in a few goals and play very sound defensive hockey as well.

Sorry. Yah, I forgot about Bert. He needs to be part of the mix for the rest of this year for sure.

I like your lines. That's how I would do it, too. But I'd start mixing Helm with the big guns sometimes to see if his speed could clear up some ice for Dats and Z.

In my opinion, the 3rd line of Abdelkader-Helm-Bertuzzi should stay together. They've looked very solid at both ends of the ice.

I think they've had their moments, but I think Bert is better used in a scoring role, and a Cleary/Helm/Eaves line brings out the skills of all three players; skills which overlap and make it a great third line. Helm is a great skater and defensive player. Abdelkader is a hard hitter. Bertuzzi is a decent scorer. It's a decent line, but when you can take Bertuzzi - whose skills are best utilized in offensive situations - and swap him with Cleary, who is very effective as a checker and can create offense from that role, it's a swap you make.

Hudler has been a top six forward (based on offensive output) since his second year in the league. He may not be the ideal center for some systems, but he is a hell of a lot closer to second line center than he is to third line winger.

2) hudler can't play center on this team. no doubt about it. not even a debatable question. worst defensive player on our team. slowest skater on our team next to homer. and you want him to center the second line in our system, which requires EXCEPTIONAL defensive skill from it's centers. yikes.

Where did I say that I wanted those lines? I said that those were the ideal lines if you put a top line of Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Filppula together. Who else is going to center the second line, Franzen? He's no better defensively than Hudler, and he's a much lazier player. Do you want a lazy center or a hard working one? Maybe Helm can center the line. That way, we will only have two offensively talented players on the second line.

As I said; in the scenario I brought up, Hudler is the best option.

No.

Hudler is kickin' ass and taking names right now. He is playing the best hockey since we won the cup...so OF COURSE we should put him on the third line

No.

Hudler is kickin' ass and taking names right now. He is playing the best hockey since we won the cup...so OF COURSE we should put him on the third line

If everyone's healthy, Hudler should be a third liner. The lines should roll like this:

Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Cleary

Hudler-Helm-Abdelkader

Eaves-Emmerton-Miller

Hudler is a GREAT third line player and an average to slightly below average 2nd line player. He's too small.

Guest blueadams

Where did I say that I wanted those lines? I said that those were the ideal lines if you put a top line of Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Filppula together. Who else is going to center the second line, Franzen? He's no better defensively than Hudler, and he's a much lazier player. Do you want a lazy center or a hard working one? Maybe Helm can center the line. That way, we will only have two offensively talented players on the second line.

As I said; in the scenario I brought up, Hudler is the best option.

If you didn't say you wanted those lines then i probably wasn't talking to you.

But since you asked, if we did have our best three centers all on the same line together - which would NEVER happen in a million years - the second line center would probably be Abdelkader. As it was for a brief period late last season when we were going through some injuries.

Edited by blueadams

Guest blueadams

I'll still put these lines up against anyone elses...

Brunnstrom-Helm-Eaves

the abby-helm-bert line is great. i like it. it works. but i'd like to see us at least attempt to roll three scoring lines and one checking line...as opposed to two scoring lines and two checking lines.

so, you replace helm with emmerton, and you've still got pretty much the exact same production. abdelkader-helm-bertuzzi is more or less the same as abdelkader-emmerton-bertuzzi. but now it's your fourth line instead of your third line, so whatever you get out of this line is even more of a bonus.

then you put together that third scoring line. brunnstrom-helm-eaves. these three guys will be able to chip in quite a few goals and play very sound defensive hockey as well. and brunnstrom-helm-eaves is a whole lot better than holmstrom-emmerton-eaves, isn't it? if brunnstrom gets going, the line could actually be really, really sweet. if he doesn't, maybe you give gustav a shot at some point and see what happens.

right now, we're undefeated, so you don't want to change much. but i see all positives and no negatives with this suttle suggestion.

thoughts?

Helm and Abdelkader as linemates are a waste of Hudler's talent. He's one of the better passers on the team and neither of those two are good finishers. Hudler needs to play with Datsyuk, Filppula, Franzen etc. to maximize his strengths.

agreed. it's almost like holmstrom last season.

If everyone's healthy, Hudler should be a third liner. The lines should roll like this:

Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Cleary

Hudler-Helm-Abdelkader

Eaves-Emmerton-Miller

Hudler is a GREAT third line player and an average to slightly below average 2nd line player. He's too small.

...how do you stop the greatest player in the nhl (datsyuk)?? you put him on a line with two guys that can't do anything with the puck. great idea.

...how do you stop the greatest player in the nhl (datsyuk)?? you put him on a line with two guys that can't do anything with the puck. great idea.

so you're saying that Babcock has stopped Datsyuk for the last 5 years by having Holmstrom play on his line?

I believe that. I think Datsyuk would be far more effective with more speed on his line = Helm/Filppula.

I still think Bertuzzi and Cleary as linemates for Datsyuk wouldn't work out too bad.

Guest blueadams

so you're saying that Babcock has stopped Datsyuk for the last 5 years by having Holmstrom play on his line?

I believe that. I think Datsyuk would be far more effective with more speed on his line = Helm/Filppula.

I still think Bertuzzi and Cleary as linemates for Datsyuk wouldn't work out too bad.

Honestly, I don't get it. I don't get it. I can't tell whether or not you are purposely pretending to be stupid in order to continue the argument for argument's sake.

How do you stop Datsyuk?

I said put him between TWO players that can't do anything with the puck.

Holmstrom is obviously ONE player.

Zetterberg/Franzen/Filppula/Hudler/etc.-Datsyuk-Holmstrom - - - - - that's a good line.

Bertuzzi/Cleary/Abdeklader/etc.-Datsyuk-Holmstrom - - - - - that's a bad line.

your proposed line of Cleary-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi - - - - - that's a bad line. that's how you stop datsyuk. you put him in between two guys that can't do anything with the puck, and you make it a one on five game.

Honestly, I don't get it. I don't get it. I can't tell whether or not you are purposely pretending to be stupid in order to continue the argument for argument's sake.

How do you stop Datsyuk?

I said put him between TWO players that can't do anything with the puck.

Holmstrom is obviously ONE player.

Zetterberg/Franzen/Filppula/Hudler/etc.-Datsyuk-Holmstrom - - - - - that's a good line.

Bertuzzi/Cleary/Abdeklader/etc.-Datsyuk-Holmstrom - - - - - that's a bad line.

your proposed line of Cleary-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi - - - - - that's a bad line. that's how you stop datsyuk. you put him in between two guys that can't do anything with the puck, and you make it a one on five game.

I guess you don't think much of Cleary. I like Cleary. Yah, I guess you don't get it.

Guest blueadams

I guess you don't think much of Cleary. I like Cleary. Yah, I guess you don't get it.

I LOVE Cleary. I just don't think he can do much with the puck, because...you know, he can't.

Kyle Quincy?

Sick of this argument. Would Quincey even be playing on the team right now? He was behind Meech in terms of prospects; Meech is the same age and had outplayed him in every way for years on the same team. Lidstrom and Kronwall, of course, were ahead of him. Stuart was brought in. Rafalski was here. Kindl was considered a potential top-pairing d-man. Ericsson was doing very well in Grand Rapids. Lebda was looking good with Chelios, like he might develop into something (boy was THAT wrong). That's 7 plus Lebda who would have been ahead of Quincey in the past couple seasons. He'd have still been gone. Holland reportedly tried to trade him, but no deal was reached as it was obvious (much like the Osgood situation) that he would be losing someone with skill (or Lebda) regardless of who made the roster.

Kyle Quincy?

Ya, no..

..We are talking about someone who HAS waiver exemption and one who DOESN'T have it. When the Wings lost Quincey, BOTH he AND Meech had NO waiver expemtions, so they BOTH would've had to pass through waivers to play in Grand Rapids. Nyquist HAS waiver exemption so he can come up and go down WITHOUT passing through waivers. With a FULL healthy lineup, Nyquist will be sent down 100% of the time, until he no longer has waiver exemptions.