Photo
- - - - -

How much of a steal was James Neal for Pitt?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:39 PM

I hated this trade when it happened last year because I hate the Penguins and i felt this gave them their 4th high end player. Goligowski is a good D-man, i'm not disputing that. He is a top-4 D-man. But he is a late bloomer at 26 in his second full season. Neal is 24 (i know he's not that much younger but younger nonetheless), he is 6'2'', fast, has a sniper's mentality, and will most likely be a 40-goal scorer one day. He is single-handily keeping the Penguins afloat as their top players are hurting. Dallas was going to be looking pretty damn good with Erikson, Jamie Benn, and Neal as the future of their team. IMO, Goligowski won't make the kind of impact in the NHL that Neal will. I feel Dallas really got hosed on this deal and they should feel like idiots for it.

#2 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:42 PM

Goal scorers normally hit their prime between 26-28 if I'm not mistaken.

Defensemen hit their prime from at 30 or later.

Not sure anyone got fleeced. Pittsburgh got a scoring winger they needed and Dallas got a fine young defenseman.

Posted Image

#3 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:46 PM

Not sure anyone got fleeced. Pittsburgh got a scoring winger they needed and Dallas got a fine young defenseman.

I guess i just feel like Goligowski is a little overrated

#4 CupCrazy22

CupCrazy22

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:05 AM

Agreed.

I think it was pretty even up between the two of them. Getting Niskanen in the deal the way he is playing right now is the steal of the deal.

#5 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:21 AM

Neal is just hot right now. Granted, he's a good player; but it was a pretty even trade.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#6 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:29 AM

I guess part of the reason why this trade happened is that Pens want to be a contender now while Stars are kind of rebuilding.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#7 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:57 AM

Neal is just hot right now. Granted, he's a good player; but it was a pretty even trade.

I'm biased towards Neal i think because obviously I've seen more of him. He always seemed to play pretty damn well against us....or maybe it was Benn....I get those two mixed up.

#8 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,280 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:12 PM

I'd say a pretty good one.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#9 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:17 PM

Same can be said about Kunitz. Wish Holland would be able to make deal like that. Will never happen, though.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#10 Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:16 PM

This seems pretty Red Wings history based (Yzerman and Lidstrom)!!!

Stamkos, Crosby, and Ovechkin are sniping goals all over the place in their early 20's.

Defensemen are all over the map talent wise. Tyler Myers, Victor Hedmen, etc. should hit their primes sooner than 30.

I think your statement would be pretty accurate 20 years ago. But today, players are developing younger and faster. The early 20's players seem to be dominating the early 30's players. And then there's Nick Lidstrom who just crushes at any age. He will be dominating 20 year olds in his 50's more than likely.

#11 13GoWings40

13GoWings40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:59 PM

Stamkos, Crosby, and Ovechkin are sniping goals all over the place in their early 20's.

Defensemen are all over the map talent wise. Tyler Myers, Victor Hedmen, etc. should hit their primes sooner than 30.

I think your statement would be pretty accurate 20 years ago. But today, players are developing younger and faster. The early 20's players seem to be dominating the early 30's players. And then there's Nick Lidstrom who just crushes at any age. He will be dominating 20 year olds in his 50's more than likely.

How awesome would this be to see, almost another full decade of #5. He's in good health injury-wise and really fit, so if anyone is set to take Chelios' crown as the league dinosaur it would be him.

Edited by 13GoWings40, 21 October 2011 - 03:01 PM.

#12 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:08 PM

Neal's a high end player with lots of individual skill but really, really streaky.

Last year, in 30 games from Jan. 26 to the end of the season, he scored two goals and six assists, and followed that up with a total of one goal and one assist in seven playoff games.

He also went 5-7-12 in the first twelve games last year. Do we call him Mr. October?

#13 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:38 PM

Neal's a high end player with lots of individual skill but really, really streaky.

Last year, in 30 games from Jan. 26 to the end of the season, he scored two goals and six assists, and followed that up with a total of one goal and one assist in seven playoff games.

He also went 5-7-12 in the first twelve games last year. Do we call him Mr. October?

impressive stat pull :clap:

#14 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:38 PM

Lidstrom is an anomaly, as are Stamkos, Crosby, and Ovechkin.

Neal hasn't even hit 30 goals yet. Both players are up and coming and will help their teams in the long run. That was my entire point.

Posted Image

#15 Shawn Lutz

Shawn Lutz

Draftee

• 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:47 AM

James Neal is he "real deal" I was sad to see him traded and especially to Pittsburgh. The guy can put the puck in the net, has good size and is physical and not afraid to drop mitts. I'm a Wings and watch all of their games on CI bit since I live in the Dallas Area I watch the Stars and JN was fun to watch...so is Jamie Benn

#16 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:56 AM

Time will tell about Neal but ...

... player for player comparison aside, last time I checked Dallas is surprising everyone in the standings, they're doing better than Pittsburgh.

Edited by RedWingsRox, 22 October 2011 - 08:58 AM.

#17 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

bump.......

#18 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

James Neal is a beast and Pittsburgh is looking mighty scary right now. Damn.

#19 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

It was obvious form the start the trade was better for the penguins, the reason why the stars made it was because of benn who has been good but injured htis season.Neal right now is also a product of his linemates.

Edited by jollymania, 21 March 2012 - 09:58 AM.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#20 WhiteLightning91

WhiteLightning91

Feed the Mule!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

Keep in mind, Dallas has had ownership and financial inssues for the past few seasons. It's not completely out of the realm of possibility that they traded Neal simply because they knew they couldn't offer him a contract anywhere close to what he got with PIT this season. Might as well have received something for him.

GMRwings1983: "Hudler has been stellar"