• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:41 PM

Don't look now, but the Oilers sit atop the Northwest Divison and tied for #1 in the Western Conference at 7-2-2. The young kids are really producing. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins have lived up to the hype with 11 points in 11 games. Taylor Hall has produced 9 points in 10 games. Jordan Eberle has 10 points in 11 games. Ryan Smyth seems to have rejuvinated himself, scoring 10 points in 11 games, and served as a mentor for the young kids.

Nikolai Khabibulin looks like he's returning to his former self. He is 5-0-2 with a .960 save percentage. Devan Dubnyk is 2-2 with a .938 save percentage.

Theo Peckham and Andy Sutton have provided a scrappy, physical presence on the blueline.

Now, it is still really early in the year, but the Oilers are awful fun to watch this year, and they look like they could be a contender, assuming the goal-tending continues to be solid, and the defense can stay healthy.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#2 dats13owns

dats13owns

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:49 PM

It seems likes it took the Pens, Caps and Hawks a few years to figure it out; I guess it's finally these guys turn. I think it's kind of exciting to see teams come up like this, even if it may probably cause the Wings fits at times.

Good for them... I hated them after '06 but then I kind of felt sorry for them for a while.

#3 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:51 PM

Paajarvi is really struggling this year. If they want another mentor, maybe they can take Hudler. . . .

#4 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:29 PM

young players will get worn out.

It seems likes it took the Pens, Caps and Hawks a few years to figure it out; I guess it's finally these guys turn. I think it's kind of exciting to see teams come up like this, even if it may probably cause the Wings fits at times.

Good for them... I hated them after '06 but then I kind of felt sorry for them for a while.

it really isn't that fun, because all these teams do is suck for years and then pile up draft picks, then again there are teams like florida and winnipeg that get high picks and do poorly, but it isn't that hard when you get that many top picks.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#5 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:40 PM

Paajarvi is really struggling this year. If they want another mentor, maybe they can take Hudler. . . .

I'd love to have Paajarvi as a Red Wing. He could fit in well with Pav, Z or Fil like some of the others on the team.

#6 acidroach420

acidroach420

You know I've got a soft spot for hot dogs

• Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:22 AM

How many youtubes had omark scored?

#7 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:28 AM

How many youtubes had omark scored?

:huh:

I'd love to have Paajarvi as a Red Wing. He could fit in well with Pav, Z or Fil like some of the others on the team.

He's got some explosive potential, but has gotten off to a slow start this year.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#8 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:01 AM

I'd be surprised if they keep this up but it sure is fun to watch right now. The kid line is really exciting.

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#9 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:24 AM

They are very fun to watch right now. They look like they are having fun! Good on Edmonton, they have been waiting a long time for these young guys to shine!

#10 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:26 AM

I'm very happy for them and Toronto too.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#11 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:08 AM

I notice that too, but given they're so young, I wonder if they can keep up the intensity level I've seen from them the entire season, plus any possible playoff series'.

#12 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:09 AM

I love Edmonton, they have an insane group of young talent all apparently ready to play this year. Good to see Smyth back as well. Hopefully they can keep it up.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#13 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,447 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:20 AM

young players will get worn out.

Interesting, that's normally what people say about old players. A lot of people think young guys can just keep going and going. I assume what you are suggesting is that they don't have the experience to know how to get through the rigors of an 82 game schedule, etc., which I think is definately a valid comment, but I also wouldn't discount their young legs either.

They are on a hot streak, no doubt, I don't think that will last, but I also get the feeling that this team will be in the hunt for a playoff spot. Not saying they'll make it, just suggesting they won't be near the bottom of the league.

#14 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:22 AM

I love Edmonton, they have an insane group of young talent all apparently ready to play this year. Good to see Smyth back as well. Hopefully they can keep it up.

I'm glad to see him back there as well. Seeing him in a NYI, LA and Colorado jersey just seemed weird, and I never got the impression fans in Edmonton didn't want him there. I'm pretty sure he is happy to be back as well.

#15 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:21 AM

this +1

Looks like when Smyth requested that trade over the summer it wasn't that bad of an idea afer all. They are playing solid but a long ways to go imo. Still the young guns are showing up and producing. I don't mind them now but let's see at the half way point where they are sitting...

#16 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:40 AM

I like seeing the kids do well, but I seriously don't think this will be sustained over a season. Remember how last year the Aves were one of the top teams in the league for the first 20 games or so?

Still fun to watch them, I wish I got to see more of their games.
Posted Image

#17 PrairieDawg

PrairieDawg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:19 AM

They've quickly become my 2nd favorite team. I love the line of Hall - RNH - Eberle, so damn exciting to watch.

#18 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:24 AM

I like seeing the kids do well, but I seriously don't think this will be sustained over a season. Remember how last year the Aves were one of the top teams in the league for the first 20 games or so?

Still fun to watch them, I wish I got to see more of their games.

And the Blues...

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#19 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,646 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:06 PM

This reminds me of the Pens and Hawks.

Years of sucking ass has resulted in many high draft picks. It's going to start paying off eventually, if not already now.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#20 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:35 PM

this +1

Looks like when Smyth requested that trade over the summer it wasn't that bad of an idea afer all. They are playing solid but a long ways to go imo. Still the young guns are showing up and producing. I don't mind them now but let's see at the half way point where they are sitting...

IMO being in Edmonton at all is a bad idea. It's a terrible place to live, especially during the winter.

This reminds me of the Pens and Hawks.

Years of sucking ass has resulted in many high draft picks. It's going to start paying off eventually, if not already now.

Yeah, it's going to start paying off, but they did need to suffer through those years of being terrible.