• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:04 PM

There was a large excerpt from the book featured on the front page of yesterday's "Sports" in the Toronto Star; some other interesting topics were touched on. Bettman will shrug this off, just like he did with Kerry Fraser's book, which is very critical of the way the League does things, basically saying "If I comment on the book, it only helps the goal of selling books". Mr. Laraque isn't a dummy and I'm glad he has taken the time to put his thoughts and observations in print. In case you haven't guessed, I will be buying this book.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#22 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:54 PM

Old number 24 came into mind immediately.

It`s not difficult to make a connection between sudden increase in muscle mass, drug and alcohol problems and on and off-ice discipline problems with a strong suspicion of steroids and HGH abuse. I wish Georges did name names rather than cloud the entire era.

The 13-year pro also said the NHL’s random testing program isn’t as random as it’s supposed to be.

“It was almost a running joke at one time,” said Laraque. “The testing is backward compared to other sports. We knew when the drug testing was going to be. You’re not supposed to know. It’s supposed to be confidential, but we always know when it is. It’s not a really tough thing to counter.

Also, THIS needs to change.

Edited by mjlegend, 06 November 2011 - 08:59 PM.

#23 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:14 PM

I read a really good article on performance enhancing drugs, and approached it from a standpoint I've never thought of. They talked about how in Juniors you have all these young adults who have put their whole lives into going pro, and they're right on the verge but everyone around them is bigger and stronger, and they know of at least a few folks who are on PED's, so they either join the club, get bigger and stronger to keep up with everyone else and perhaps keep a job, or take the honest route and have your whole life's ambitions die as someone else takes your place.
There's no doubt in my mind there are guys on roids in the NHL right now, and I imagine the largest demographic of those who are under the influence are those who wouldn't be employed without their assistance.

#24 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:46 PM

Datsyuk's secret has been revealed.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#25 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:29 AM

Old number 24 came into mind immediately.

As in Bob Probert?

Personally I don't think he was involved with steroids...His book "Tough Guy" goes in depth of his alcohol, and cocaine addictions, and mentions nothing about the use of steroids - however he did mention some other enforcers he faced throughout his career did use performance enhancers.

Edited by F.Michael, 07 November 2011 - 03:31 AM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#26 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:29 AM

Why wouldn't you use performance enhancing drugs if there's basically no testing at all? Everyone wants to win, everyone wants to be successful and earn money. Only small percent gets to the big league; the competition is tough. If someone else uses and is getting ahead of you in the competition of course you may start using them as well, whether you're an enforcer or not.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#27 GongShow94

GongShow94

Prospect

• 43 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:31 AM

From everything I've read it always sounded like hockey hasn't ever really had a steroid issue expect speculation of a couple of people and enforcers. I mean getting big helps but its doesn't have anything to do with skill. Getting big doesn't help your skating hockey is all about technique. Don't get me wrong do I think people in the NHL use steroids, some, probably players on the verge of being in the NHL looking for an extra boost but to say just because one person says something doesn't mean a era has to be clouded because of that.

#28 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:41 AM

From everything I've read it always sounded like hockey hasn't ever really had a steroid issue expect speculation of a couple of people and enforcers. I mean getting big helps but its doesn't have anything to do with skill. Getting big doesn't help your skating hockey is all about technique. Don't get me wrong do I think people in the NHL use steroids, some, probably players on the verge of being in the NHL looking for an extra boost but to say just because one person says something doesn't mean a era has to be clouded because of that.

It's not about only steroids. Performance enhancing drugs are the key here. It's a long season and for some star players when you play the pre-season, actual season, playoffs, olympics it just may be too much to handle with natural ways.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#29 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:24 AM

I think Laraque is usually a bigmouth seeking for attention. Sometimes people like him do good things too by bringing up subjects that otherwise might not see the light of day. I understand him not naming any players as he doesn't want to throw any individuals under the bus. Isn't he attacking the league and not the players? Perhaps his book leads to changes in the future in the way of strickening the rules and testing.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#30 2probert4

2probert4

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:53 AM

That doesn't seem to be a big secret among fans on fight forums. Most people seem to agree that Twist took steroids. He gained so much mass and strength after he came to St. Louis. Much more than his early days in Quebec.

Other names are John Kordic and Andrew Peters. Although, Kordic had other things he took besides roids.

Was cause of death with Kordic cardiac related ? He was known for drinking, cocaine and roids......

#31 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:27 AM

brindamour, ivanans, cote, lapointe, seguin (<----kid is F-ing jacked!!!)

who really knows though, its all speculation and probably always will be for current and past players. unless someone admits to it.

All I know is I'd use performance enhancers if I was in the NHL.... whether I was datsyuk or drew miller

just being honest

#32 SpiritFan

SpiritFan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:25 PM

I remember Draper getting caught using Sudafed... yes, the decongestant. Got a slap on the wrist suspension IIRC. Doper! :D

#33 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,662 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:07 PM

Was cause of death with Kordic cardiac related ? He was known for drinking, cocaine and roids......

I know he got in a scuffle with a bunch of police officers in a motel. I think he overdosed on some drugs and his heart gave out as well.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#34 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:37 AM

So, some in the media, according to the Toronto Star are comparing his statements to those made by Jose Canseco in the past. That seems to me as being more than just a bit of a stretch.

#35 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:21 AM

I wish Georges did name names rather than cloud the entire era.

I suspect that might create some legal issues.

#36 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

...and Hudler claimed he trained in UFC. Can't believe we bought that :lol:
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#37 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:51 PM

So, some in the media, according to the Toronto Star are comparing his statements to those made by Jose Canseco in the past. That seems to me as being more than just a bit of a stretch.

Yeah quite a bit different.

#38 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

I know some people are disappointed that names wern't named, but this is a good read nonetheless. What I picked out of it:
1) His biggest phobia was fear of failure
2) Sean Avery is the only player he didn't respect.
3) A close second was Donald Brashear.
4) As a head coach, Wayne Gretzky "could not have been worse".
5) Following the morning skate, then-Canadiens head coach Jaques Martin would tell the media who was playing, but left the team in the dark as sort of a "power trip". However, players would check the Internet for the information.
6) While an Oiler, he was invited for, and regularly accepted, dinner at the homes of Edmonton families, as a Public Relations move. After awhile, one change was made: a team official went along, because they didn't know who was out there.
7) His story about snoring, and how he used it to get a "perk" is a classic. I wouldn't be surprised if someone else tried it before Laraque, but I've never heard of it.
What I found most refreshing is the following paragraph:

I want to open a small parenthesis here. I'll talk a bit more in a later chapter about what it's like to be a tough guy in the junior league as well as in the NHL. However, I want my readers to know that there's a huge level of respect between the tough guys. That's why I'll never write that I've won a fight or that I've destroyed another guy, even if that was the case. I'll simply note that things went well for me. I'll never gloat. You'll make the link yourself. End of parenthesis.

#39 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

I know some people are disappointed that names wern't named, but this is a good read nonetheless. What I picked out of it:

6) While an Oiler, he was invited for, and regularly accepted, dinner at the homes of Edmonton families, as a Public Relations move. After awhile, one change was made: a team official went along, because they didn't know who was out there.

MILFS, and Cougars?..:lol:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#40 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

I think Hudler is on steroids.