• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#61 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:46 PM

The media coverage of Crosby is overkill without a doubt, but it really doesn't bother me as much as his on ice conduct. I don't like the sneaky little cheap shots he throws and then complains when he gets hit back. I don't like the way he went after Z after Game 4 in the '08 Finals or the cheap shots during the '09 Finals. I think that's garbage. He's amazingly talented, you can't deny that, but he acts like a jerk on the ice.

It's funny, because I'm pretty much the exact opposite side of the coin in line with what GoWings1905 said, but I totally see where you are coming from. He is a fuzznut, but with me there are also a fair amount of other fuzznuts in the league. Maybe not as bad as Crosby, maybe worse, that's purely subjective from person to person and not my main point.

There are other players that definitely act like a**es along with Crosby, it's just absurd how much attention he gets. I think its fair to say that even he might think the attention is a bit over the top. And I'm definitely not implying that "ZOMG A RED WING SHOULD BE GETTING MORE ATTENTION!!!" Not even close and I don't care about that. And I am not jealous of his talent. And it really doesn't have anything to do with us playing them two years in a row in the Finals. I get not liking him from that or the rivalry aspect, I like the concept of rivalries in general but I don't like going overboard with them. I moreso want my fav. team to win vs. other teams losing or failing most times.

So, I get and respect that he is one of the best in the game today, perhaps the best. Crosby is definitely worth paying attention to from a talent perspective alone, but it's boggling how sometimes media can just shun his complaining and being a fuzznut off sometimes like a case of fleas when it really stands out at times. And how they don't focus on other athletes/superstars in general more at times.

Plus in general with me, it's just aggravating when any athlete or person or whatever is just so overhyped or talked about too much, whether it is sports, politics/news, whatever. As annoying as Crosby is which certainly doesn't help, the following of his every move (and again you could pretty much insert any person to replace Crosby - I'd probably still say "ENOUGH!" after a while) is more numbing and aggravating to me.

Is the NHL better off with him healthy? As painful as he is to tolerate sometimes for me, yes. I hope he can recover. As stated earlier though by somebody, don't put the majority or all your eggs in one basket with just one superstar marketing the league. There's plenty of talent out there and the NHL can be fine without him if that is the case.

#62 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:58 PM

While I would hate for him to have a s***ty life, I am perfectly fine with his douchness out of this league. The NHL was just fine without him before, and it will be just dandy without him now. Honestly, like someone said, karma is a *****. But hey, he made an impression and will continue to try to recover, but now with this latest setback, it'll only get harder and harder to play, until at one point, he will just have to call it a day, for his health. Just as Eric Lindros was supposed to come in and re-write the record books, so goes another "Next One." Maybe if the NHL would stop putting these labels on the guys, they won't get the delusions of grandeur that they are untouchable and are the NHL's golden boys and when they play, they don't play like they won't get hit hard... I may be in the minority, but I absolutely hate when the NHL and the Media tells me who is gonna be the best player ever. Cindy wouldn't have made it this long playing against Scott Stevens or ANYONE pre-1990. There is no player in this era who will ever be known as the best player ever in the NHL. Not as long as you have had Howe, Orr, Gretzky and Messier in this league. That is just to name a few...

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.