• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#61 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,504 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

I'm not sold on Getzlaf as something this team would seriously improve on. If we got rid of Franzen we would still need a guy who is a threat to score goals.

Perry is a bonafide goal scorer and can definitely bring something huge to the team if we trade a core player. I don't care if he is a ******. He can be our ******. And I'll even trade my Franzen shirts for Perry shirts if we make a trade with the two involved.

Gowings: Datsyuk and Zetterberg shouldn't be tried again. They don't mesh the same way they did in 08 and 09, and I think it hurts the team to force them back together for the sake of acquired players.

Agreed.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#62 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:12 PM

IMO Ryan is more likely than Perry because of Perry's season last year (Perry will command more). Ryan has scored 30+ goals in all of his full NHL seasons.

Edited by WorkingOvertime, 06 January 2012 - 03:16 PM.

#63 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

Franzen has 16 goals and 17 assists in 39 games on a very good Wings team.

Perry has 15 goals and 15 assists in 38 games on a pretty awful Ducks team.

I think saying Franzen is having a better year is a stretch.

Selanne would be perfect, but there's no way he's coming here. Sounds like he wants to end his career with the Ducks, has a NMC, and seems to have a healthy dislike for Detroit. The Ducks were dangling Ryan earlier in the season, so maybe they'll start shopping him again.

I see your point, but Perry just seems to be a flash in the pan to me. Wasn't it Cheechoo who scored 50, too? And I'm not saying Franzen is light years better than Perry, but Franzen has rarely had a healthy season. Perry has had three good seasons. Since Franzen turned into the guy we all know in 2008, he had a 59 point season, and then after that the only close to full season he had was 2010, when the team was decimated with injuries and everybody struggled. Now that he's having a healthy season he's almost a point per game player, he should easily top is 55ish point plateau. I'm just saying that when everything is taken into consideration, it's not as clear cut as some here say it is.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#64 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,570 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

People need to take Franzen off the trading block. I know even I had a glimmer of a thought about trading him early in the season, but he's having a good year so far and he's still clutch (half his goals are game winners). Plus, his proven playoff performance means he stays. As the year progresses there are fewer and fewer players worth trading. Stuart is having a good year, and our defense is so good right now Holland won't want to mess with that.

So it'd have to be a forward or pick trade. And nobody wants the forwards we could spare, at least not for a great player in exchange.

Unless he can find a team who needs to rebuild and can offer just picks for a player.

And let me point out that Franzen is having a better year than Perry. Perry is not some amazing player who will change this team. He's good, but not the player the Wings need.

So if Anaheim says they'll give you Perry (or Getzlaf) in exchange for Franzen, you're not buying?

If so, you are crazy. IF I am Holland, I am seeing what it'll take to get one of Getzlaf/Perry or Ryan along with Selanne for the Cup run... But that is just me, a 41 year old rental who scores when he wants and Perry the reigning Hart trophy winner. Getting rid of Franzen, Hudler and a couple of prospects and picks would be well worth they return. Especially if you can keep Perry around long term...

Don't Be Jealous Because I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#65 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:57 PM

I'm trying to avoid this thread as reading it makes me feel like i'm going to throw...

#66 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,867 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

I see your point, but Perry just seems to be a flash in the pan to me. Wasn't it Cheechoo who scored 50, too? And I'm not saying Franzen is light years better than Perry, but Franzen has rarely had a healthy season. Perry has had three good seasons. Since Franzen turned into the guy we all know in 2008, he had a 59 point season, and then after that the only close to full season he had was 2010, when the team was decimated with injuries and everybody struggled. Now that he's having a healthy season he's almost a point per game player, he should easily top is 55ish point plateau. I'm just saying that when everything is taken into consideration, it's not as clear cut as some here say it is.

Franzen has really only had a couple good regular seasons and three great playoffs, and is injury prone. Perry has put up 54, 72, 76 and 98 point seasons. He basically had the Ducks strapped to his back the second half of last year. I'd be surprised if he were a flash in the pan.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely agree it's certainly not a no-brainer. It would be a very bold trade. But it's a pretty interesting idea.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 06 January 2012 - 04:33 PM.

#67 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

I'm trying to avoid this thread as reading it makes me feel like i'm going to throw...

a ninja star? :ph34r:

#68 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,570 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

Franzen, Hudler, Kindl, Andresson, Ferraro, McCollum, Nestrasil, ANY of our D prospects. You just cannot pass on Perry or Getzlaf. I would acquire them both if I could. Ya, now I am dreaming in EA Sports land, but those two on Detroit would make us almost instant favorites, and face it, with the improvements Chicago and San Jose has done this year, Detroit needs to step it up and this would be a great move.

We have the Cap space for both, they are signed through next season. The Wings are over their head deep in great prospects and could easily afford to give up a few of them. McCollum is NOT going to be backup to Howard, he is going to want to be a starter in the NHL and will probably leave as a Free Agent before Howard is ready to give up the #1 spot, so you could easily trade McCollum especially with how good Mrazek is playing. Next season you will be shopping or a #1 defenseman, not another #7 so Kindl and the rest of the prospects are fair game. You could go down the list of top 25 prospects in our organization and chose three or four that you could really live without, so if losing Franzen & Hudler and prospects in exchange for Getzlaf and Perry, I am doing it. You have to ask yourself, if this trade were in the works, which Detroit team has a better chance to compete with Chicago/San Jose and actually win the Cup this year or next, the one with Franzen/Hudler on it, or the one with Getzlaf/Perry? Holland made a mistake in 2009 by letting Hudler handcuff him by coming back and re-signing Franzen. He lost Hossa who said he wanted to stay and would take considerably less to do so. Here is Holland chance to make ammends on that mistake, get rid of Franzen & Hudler and make his team much better and tougher to play against in the form of Getzlaf and Perry. That is a blockbuster trade that will workout for both teams. PLUS it allows Holland to just focus on replacing Lidstrom next year instead of trying to find that power forward and sniper along with a #1 defender.

I know it is hard to say goodbye to homegrown talent. Guys who have grown up in our system, but in the end, it's all about the crest on the front of the sweater. I hope Holland doesn't make the same mistakes he made in 2009 by passing on better players to keep Franzen & Hudler...

EDIT: Also, ask yourself this, who you rather have these two or would you rather see Chicago, San Jose, Vancouver or worse yet Pitt or Toronto or Boston get one or both of them? If that happens then you not only lose out on acquiring two great players, but you also take two steps back from being on par with the elite teams in the NHL.

Edited by LeftWinger, 06 January 2012 - 05:13 PM.

Don't Be Jealous Because I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#69 SiLkK19

SiLkK19

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

I'd like to see a franzen plus hudler and a pick or something for perry.

#70 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,640 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:56 PM

Didn't Perry win the Hart Trophy last year?

How many of those will Franzen win anytime soon?
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#71 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:07 PM

Didn't Perry win the Hart Trophy last year?

How many of those will Franzen win anytime soon?

If the season was approximately 7 games, he might have a shot.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#72 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

Bobby Ryan or Ryan Getzlaf please.

Thank you.

#73 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,640 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

It's too bad a show like 24/7 isn't following a team like the Ducks.

I'd love to see what a nightmare such a lockerroom must be right now.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#74 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:47 PM

So if Anaheim says they'll give you Perry (or Getzlaf) in exchange for Franzen, you're not buying?

Not a chance would I do so for Getzlaf. What don't you understand about us not needing another playmaking center? Getzlaf is not a goal-scorer. We'd be giving up our best pure goal-scorer for yet another playmaker. How would this be of use to us?

Getzlaf puts up a lot of assists because he plays with Ryan and Perry, two pure goal-scorers. To whom would he pass on the Wings?

#75 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:48 PM

I'd like to see a franzen plus hudler and a pick or something for perry.

I would too but I doubt that EA NHL 2011 wouldn't even do it. :P

#76 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:11 AM

perry or ryan would make the most sense. I'd be willing to give up a lot for one of them. don't forget that ryan can play center and both guys shoot right. getz just isn't the scorer we truly need but of course i'd be happy to have him anyways - guess we could move Z back with Dats.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#77 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:09 AM

Why do people keep saying Detroit needs scoring?

We're third in goals for. Third.

Point percentage, fourth. Goals against, fifth. Sixth on the power play. Third in shots for, third fewest shots against.

The only worrisome ones are faceoff percentage -ninth- and penalty kill, twentieth.

Find a solid PK guy or 1B goalie, sure, but I fail to see the need to keep fixing an offense that simply isn't broken.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#78 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:41 AM

Why do people keep saying Detroit needs scoring?

We're third in goals for. Third.

Point percentage, fourth. Goals against, fifth. Sixth on the power play. Third in shots for, third fewest shots against.

The only worrisome ones are faceoff percentage -ninth- and penalty kill, twentieth.

Find a solid PK guy or 1B goalie, sure, but I fail to see the need to keep fixing an offense that simply isn't broken.

well franzen isn't getting any younger or less injury prone so it would be nice to have reliable scoring. his contract isn't that great either for the future. also i'd like to mention that detroit is highest in the league in dman scoring so the total goals for has a lot to do with our d corps. forward corps could use some more work imo. we have eaves who has only played 10 games for the pk guy you talk about and a guy like nabby at the deadline would solve the goalie issue.

#79 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:58 AM

Franzen was OK until he took an arrow to the knee (sorry, couldn't resist ;) )

Edited by Nev, 07 January 2012 - 03:59 AM.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#80 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:13 AM

Franzen was OK until he took an arrow to the knee (sorry, couldn't resist ;) )

I lol'd.