• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

2012 Baseball thread

Rate this topic

Get Dirks higher up the order. The boy hits everything, even if it goes foul he still keeps himself at the plate and doesn't allow balls passed him. Jackson seems to just take the mandatory first pitch strike every at bat. Fielder looks rattled and appears to be trying to chop a tree down every time he's up, just get some contact on it, get to first and the guys before you will run it in (hopefully). He doesn't need the big shot every time. Plus he was in at the plate in Game 2 to get the go-ahead run if not for a perfect throw. Just little things all going the Giants way which add up and make it look like a domination.

The Giants play impeccable defense. I'm incredibly jealous of the way they field the ball.

I hate bunting. Leyland bunts like he plays in the NL. Giving away free outs when you are struggling to score runs as it is drives me nuts.

I hope they can push some more runs across here soon. Don't feel safe with this bullpen and Max isn't going to be out there for 120 pitches.

A week ago, everything looked lined up for the Tigers to win a championship. I thought the Giants had a very good chance to win the series, but this sweep is pretty stunning. Part of the reason baseball is so incredible: completely unpredictable, even though being on this end isn't nearly as fun. Congrats to the Giants for winning it all yet again. I am nothing but impressed with the display of baseball they put on during these playoffs. Spectacular pitching (both starters and bullpen), flawless defense and contributions throughout the lineup with timely hitting. Their roster is constructed very well and they were easily the better team in every regard against Detroit. Also have to mention the Giants pulled this off without Cabrera, Wilson and Lincecum pitching in relief. Down 0-2 in the NLDS, win six straight elimination games and seven straight to close it out.

I'm bummed the Tigers lost and feel especially bad for Mr. Ilitch. We all see how hard it is to just get to the World Series even with the ability to spend a lot of money. The near future still appears strong, but a missed opportunity like this really stings right now. Disappointing ending to a frustrating yet special season overall.

Now the long wait until Opening Day begins and we get to experience winter with no Red Wings. Time to start the hot stove with a call to Torii Hunter hopefully first on the agenda.

Edited by GoWings1905

Guest irishock

Prince was nowhere to be found this postseason

Phil Coke has earned himself some money after his performance

Delmon is probably gone

Couldn't have said it any better myself, GoWings.

If you had told me this team would make the playoffs a month ago I wouldn't have believed you - so I can't be too upset with dropping the World Series. It would have been nice to put up a fight, though. It seems the layoff slump is a real thing and it certainly hurt the Tigers. They were thoroughly outplayed by a Giants team that was simply on fire and never got "that hit" or "that play" to turn this thing around. Poetic and cruel that Cabrera watched the 3rd strike. Really summed up the Tigers' offense for the Series.

You have to feel good about the Tigers' chances going forward, but it is so tough to get to the World Series that nothing is guaranteed. I was really hoping to see them win it for Mr. Illitch, but here's hoping he gets another chance to see his team win it all.

Having said all that, I've got to say thank you to the Tigers for what really was a great, albeit frustrating, season. Can't wait to do it again next year.

I'm very excited for the off-season, I love the Hot Stove time of year. Looking ahead just a little bit I say these things should/will happen:

• Delmon Young is gone.
  • The Tigers find a strong corner OF.
  • Quintin Berry becomes a bench player, Don Kelly is gone.
  • Jose Valverde is gone.
  • A new closer is promoted in-house.
  • Peralta's option is picked up.

Edited by Travis

The Tigers announce today the return of Jim Leyland, Jhonny Peralta, and Octavio Dotel. In a press conference following the announcements Dave Dombrowski announced that the club will not re-sign Delmon Young or Jose Valverde and Don Kelly will be removed from the roster. Dombrowski declined to discuss the future of Ryan Raburn, saying that he had yet to talk to him.

Dombrowski also said that the club may not get a closer from the free agent market, but instead elect to fill the role from within. He mentioned the strength of some of their bullpen arms, specifically Bruce Rondon. Personally, I'm okay with this idea. Rondon throws fire and ascended through the minor league ranks very quickly this year. If he has what everyone says he does, then he seems like the perfect man for the job. Plus, I'm not wild on spending $10 million dollars on a closer.

The Tigers announce today the return of Jim Leyland, Jhonny Peralta, and Octavio Dotel. In a press conference following the announcements Dave Dombrowski announced that the club will not re-sign Delmon Young or Jose Valverde and Don Kelly will be removed from the roster. Dombrowski declined to discuss the future of Ryan Raburn, saying that he had yet to talk to him.

Dombrowski also said that the club may not get a closer from the free agent market, but instead elect to fill the role from within. He mentioned the strength of some of their bullpen arms, specifically Bruce Rondon. Personally, I'm okay with this idea. Rondon throws fire and ascended through the minor league ranks very quickly this year. If he has what everyone says he does, then he seems like the perfect man for the job. Plus, I'm not wild on spending $10 million dollars on a closer.

Completely agree with you here and your bullet points as well from the previous post. Glad Peralta and Dotel are coming back, plus the obvious joy that results from no more Delmon or Valverde. I hope we get the in-between Jhonny Peralta next season. 2011 was a career year, 2012 was just the opposite. He doesn't get to anything defensively and he's slow, but he's sure-handed and typically strong offensively for a shortstop. I would love a shortstop with some speed and more range -- there just aren't any of those available in free agency and Elvis Andrus would cost a ton if they try to trade him.

I'm OK with Leyland returning. Hard to argue with his success in Detroit, even though some of his decisions and 1950's baseball mentality drives me insane. The players love him and the World Series failure certainly wasn't on him. I saw Rondon in Toledo and he's electric. He's huge and was throwing his fastball in triple digits. My only concern is his control was very erratic. I still somewhat expect both Rondon and Garcia to start in Toledo and maybe come up later in the season if their development continues well. I couldn't agree more about not spending big on a closer. Relievers are extremely tough to predict each season. I know there's an obession now with having a defined closer, but multiple options would be fine with me if Rondon isn't ready.

My two biggest wants this off-season are to keep Anibal Sanchez and sign a corner outfielder. My first preference there is easily Torii Hunter. Having him hitting second would fill a hole the Tigers never found a permanent answer to this season. Plus he's still incredible defensively. I like Dirks and Berry as an option off the bench for speed, but the Tigers have to do something significant in the outfield (please, not Josh Hamilton). Sanchez is going to be expensive (especially after his playoff showing) though I think you could make the case the Tigers have the best starting rotation in baseball with him around. Porcello and Smyly as the 4th and 5th starters would be pretty adequate, but Sanchez there is lethal. I wouldn't care if the Tigers dangled Porcello if Sanchez stays because I think Smyly is the better pitcher already. Porcello needs a good defense to be effective and he isn't getting that here. Having Sanchez and Infante for an entire season would easily get the Tigers closer to 95 wins than 88.

I also can't wait to get Victor Martinez back. I love the guy and think he's the heart and soul of the clubhouse. As disapponting as the end of this season was, with a couple of moves, the Tigers can get back to the World Series and be better a year from now.

Agreed on all points. The Tigers are in a great position and shoring up a couple small pieces to give them a more complete team will be incredible.

I'm getting very excited for the Hot Stove. I'm anxiously awaiting some signings throughout all of baseball.

Here's hoping we hear about Annibal re-signing with the team soon.

I was surprised to see reports that he might retire.

What's the general consensus about Soriano opting out of his contract? He doesn't seem like the greatest clubhouse guy from what little I've heard of him.

I'm just guessing here: his role near the end of the season was a little different, as Robertson had closed a few games and he might become the "closer of the future". If he does end up in that role, he's caught a lot of people off guard. Who knows, when Rivera went down so early and Soriano was "anointed" as the closer, he may have been happy with that. With that most recent change in his "role" maybe he, or his agent, wasn't happy. What I found in an article from the New York Times:

According to the new collective bargaining agreement, teams can make a uniform and predetermined offer of one year at $13.3 million, which will ensure they are compensated with a draft pick if the player signs elsewhere.

In the end, I guess it's just a business decision by both parties.

I think Anibal Sanchez will ultimately cost too much for the Tigers to keep, which would really be a shame. He helped the Tigers out significantly down the stretch and in the playoffs, but that might end up being the difference in keeping him around.

Looks like Jeremy Bonderman is getting a contract as well. Low-risk move with maybe a slight chance for upside. Gotta think the extent of his injuries are always going to be a factor in returning to form, but I'm glad he's getting an opportunity to pitch again. Always had a lot of talent and the Tigers really stifled his development by rushing him to the big leagues so soon.

Yeah, unfortunately, I agree that Sanchez will cost too much. I read $90 million over 6 years. While I like him a lot, it's so much to pay out for a 3rd-4th starter.

I'm hoping for a corner OF, a bullpen arm, and to re-sign Gerald Laird as the back-up (if the Tigers can't realistically get Annibal back).

At this point, I'm excited for any and all Hot Stove action. Let's see some changes of scenery!

Danny Knobler of CBS reporting that Hunter, "wants to play [in Detroit]".

I would love this. Have been coveting him since it was reported that Anaheim might not re-sign him. He would be a perfect fit in the Tigers' outfield, a near-ideal 2 hole bat, and has long been regarded as a great clubhouse leader.

In my opinion he would be the ultimate free agent signing for the Tigers to fill their OF need based on cost and need.

And so the Hot Stove is upon us.

The Toronto Blue Jays receive: Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle, Josh Johnson and catcher John Buck.

The Miami Marlins receive: SS Yunel Escobar, SS Adeiny Hechavarria, SP Henderson Alvarez, minor-leaguers SP Justin Nicolino and CF Jacob Marisnick

So much for Miami's rebuilding plan. You've got to consider the Blue Jays immediate contenders in the East. At this point I'd list them as the second best team in the division, behind New York.