Rule question

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainCaveMan

CaptainCaveMan

Prospect

• 41 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

I feel like an idiot for asking this since I've been watching hockey for two decades....

Against florida, the wings got a 5 minute major. After a bit, florida got a two minute minor and it was 4-on-4.

If the wings would have scored during this time, the florida player would come out of the penalty box right? Since it's major vs. minor is my line of thinking. I'm sure I've seen this, but I don't remember this happening

#2 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,738 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

Pretty sure you are correct. I don't know of any rule that would make it any different.

BTW- I loved Captain Caveman.

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#3 Sprsquirt7

Sprsquirt7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

I'm almost positive nothing would have happened had they scored, it was 4 v 4, an even strength situation. Unless there is a specific rule for major vs minor penalty... then id like to know the exact ruling. Google to the rescue!

#4 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

ya, id say cuz it was an even strength goal (4v4) the 4v4 would continue.

not a stupid question though.
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#5 Sprsquirt7

Sprsquirt7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

Yea after trying to find the answer, looking through the rules, I'm fairly confident nothing would happen as even strength goals are exactly that and don't result in the removal of a penalty.

#6 CaptainCaveMan

CaptainCaveMan

Prospect

• 41 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. The question just kind of popped in my head while watching that game.

I was thinking about how if the wings scored (and the florida player came out of the box) it would result in an immediate man advantage for florida. So if that were the case, then it would probably be worth it NOT to try to score during that time. I guess I'm used to matching majors instead of just one team getting one.

#7 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

I know for a fact that the FLO player would not come out of the box. At 4 on 4 it is an even strength scenario. A goal scored by either team, during this time, would be considered an even strength goal for the stats crew. No player would come out of the box.

It's no different than if Player A for DET had received a double minor for high sticking and then Player B for FLO received a minor. If a goal was scored during this time no one comes out either.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#8 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

I have a question now on the same play. After the Panthers player comes out of the box, would it make it a second PP chance, or just still one?

Edited by Barrie, 02 April 2012 - 01:02 PM.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#9 Jedi

Jedi

Galmar Stone-Fist. Stormcloak. Wings Fan.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,787 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

I have a question now on the same play. After the Panthers player comes out of the box, would it make it a second PP chance, or just still one?

Still the same one, I believe, as it's all stemming from the one penalty.

2cwlto0.jpg

#10 CaptainCaveMan

CaptainCaveMan

Prospect

• 41 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

I would think it would we classified as the same PP

#11 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

It would have been an even strength goal; all players would have completed their penalties. Second question, it would have been the same PP and not a second.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, Glendening (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: Glendening.  MOTB TOTAL: $12

#12 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

Same penalty, same PP opportunity
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#13 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

I feel like an idiot for asking this since I've been watching hockey for two decades....

Against florida, the wings got a 5 minute major. After a bit, florida got a two minute minor and it was 4-on-4.

If the wings would have scored during this time, the florida player would come out of the penalty box right? Since it's major vs. minor is my line of thinking. I'm sure I've seen this, but I don't remember this happening

NHL Rule Book Information

#14 MotorCityMadness

MotorCityMadness

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

No the player would not come out of the box if a goal was scored while 4 on 4. The purpose here is to determine the on-ice numerical strength at the time the goal was scored and if this case had happened both teams would have still had penalty time remaining on the clock and therefore no penalty would terminate. Once the minor penalty is completed then that team would have gone back to the PP since the major penalty cannot be terminated.
HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN!