• This topic is locked This topic is locked
905 replies to this topic

#861 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:52 PM

I feel a little uneasy in regards to how outspoken Zetterberg has been about all this, especially with his recent shot at Bettman.

All of a sudden Wings games have a referee rotation of only Dan O'Halloran, Denis LaRue and Brad Watson.

Then again I suppose Cheli has said worse.

#862 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,746 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:54 PM

Less than 24 hours.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#863 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:51 AM

As a result of the lockouts under Bettman's reign, Wings fans have missed:

1994-95: 35 games for a 29 year old Yzerman, 24 year old Fedorov, 24 year old Lidstrom, and a 27 year old Konstantinov.

2004-05: 82 games for a 39 year old Yzerman, 34 year old Lidstrom, 36 year old Shanahan, 26 year old Pavel Datsyuk, 23 year old Zetterberg. Both Z and Dats led the Wings with 85 and 87 points when the league resumed games the next season. Shanny scored 40 goals and 81 points. Lids won the Norris.

2012-13: ??? games for a 34 year old Datsyuk, 31 year old Zettberg, 32 year old Franzen, 29 year old Jimmy Howard.

Over his 20 year career, Lidstrom missed only 46 games, including playoffs. Because of the lockouts under Bettman, Lidstrom missed an additional 117 games. Thankfully he decided to retire this year so we were saved the heartache of him deciding to come back for another season, only for there not to be a season.

Obviously these are only a few highlighted Wings players and don't even include potential playoff games in 05, but you get the idea. Careers are short, prime years even shorter. All the scoring records in the Bettman era should have an asterisk because of the games lost.

#864 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:58 AM

Posted Image

Bettmanatrix

Edited by cusimano_brothers, 15 September 2012 - 06:59 AM.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#865 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

I feel a little uneasy in regards to how outspoken Zetterberg has been about all this, especially with his recent shot at Bettman.

All of a sudden Wings games have a referee rotation of only Dan O'Halloran, Denis LaRue and Brad Watson.

Then again I suppose Cheli has said worse.

I think Bettman has a ref or 2 that help certain teams win or lose games. What other reason could there be for the Intent to Blow the Whistle rule. Funny thing about that rule anytime I have seen it called the replay showed that they ruled it wrong and goals there were disallowed, shouldn't have been and goals that were allowed, shouldn't have been

1994-95: 35 games for a 29 year old Yzerman, 24 year old Fedorov, 24 year old Lidstrom, and a 27 year old Konstantinov.

2004-05: 82 games for a 39 year old Yzerman, 34 year old Lidstrom, 36 year old Shanahan, 26 year old Pavel Datsyuk, 23 year old Zetterberg. Both Z and Dats led the Wings with 85 and 87 points when the league resumed games the next season. Shanny scored 40 goals and 81 points. Lids won the Norris.

2012-13: ??? games for a 34 year old Datsyuk, 31 year old Zettberg, 32 year old Franzen, 29 year old Jimmy Howard.

Over his 20 year career, Lidstrom missed only 46 games, including playoffs. Because of the lockouts under Bettman, Lidstrom missed an additional 117 games. Thankfully he decided to retire this year so we were saved the heartache of him deciding to come back for another season, only for there not to be a season.

Obviously these are only a few highlighted Wings players and don't even include potential playoff games in 05, but you get the idea. Careers are short, prime years even shorter. All the scoring records in the Bettman era should have an asterisk because of the games lost.

And because of the much bigger goalie equipment. Because of Bettman and his restricting skill and talent for the sake of parity to allow weaker teams a better chance of winning, major offensive records will never be broken and hockey is not as fun to play or watch as it could be.

I know. The NHL really isn't even considered a "major" sport anymore. From what I've seen and heard, the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NASCAR are all more popular than the NHL. Hell, NCAA football and basketball are right there with the NHL.

NCAA football and basketball are much more popular then the NHL. I even hear that the WNBA has a bigger television audience

#866 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,920 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

Now that Carrie Underwood is a hockey wife, I think it behooves her to write sad, sappy, lamenting, wailing songs about how bad this is for the players, their families, the people who are employed by hockey, and the fans.

Then she needs to follow Bettman around singing them all non-stop until he cracks and signs whatever is put in front of him, preferably his own pink slip.

Heck, I'll sing backup vocals. Anything to speed this along.

#867 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

Then again, we came back in 95 winning the Western Conference, came back in 05 winning the presidents trophy with 58 wins.

bringit.jpg

#868 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:56 AM

I am still a bit disappointed to see that Illitch voted yes. This was his chance to finally can this atrocious person and now they support him and his failed idea of expansion.

Having said that I fully understand, why players like Z, Crosby and Morrison are speaking up. For years the only thing they've heard how everything is fine, record after record and now all of a sudden things are bad and need to be fixed? Screw that and even knowing that they are willing to give and did put in a good proposal, yet the NHL didn't even look at it. I can understand when some guys or girls are saying both are to blame maybe, but the big junk of blame has to go to the owners here:

1. for keeping a failed dwarf
2. not seeing the big picture and the big picture is, that some teams can't even survive with revenue-sharing, because they are playing it cheap and using money from guys like Sneider, Mr. I and MLSE to give out ridiculous contracts.

Just contract the league by 4 to 5 teams, relocate some of the sunshine teams and you are going to end up with a healthier league, where we can finally get rid off the cap and have a luxury tax system, win win.

When was the last time we have seen an original 6 stanley cup final?! Right, not since a long long time but yet all these teams are the backbone of this league. The players know, they can't bulk this time because this would mean a serious damage to the NHLPA and shifting too much powers to the owners and that overpaid a**h***.

Personally I also can't stand the fact how both parties are always using MLB, NFL and NBA as example who cares what they are doing? This is hockey a differen t sport.

In a few hours we are all going to be very pissed and I for one hope the NHL won't recover from that, they need to learn a lesson.

Maybe the Perfect Human knew what was up and decided to hang em up, I feel sorry for Teemu too....The dwarf has cost us tons of games from allstar-players and sadfully the list is growing every year this guy is allowed to ru(i)n the league.

Edited by frankgrimes, 15 September 2012 - 08:58 AM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#869 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:36 AM

Everyone involved in this entire scenario can kiss my ass. Especially Gary Bettman.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#870 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:42 PM

apparently no presser or anything. twitter saying the league is quietly going into shutdown mode.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#871 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:53 PM

apparently no presser or anything. twitter saying the league is quietly going into shutdown mode.

Not even slightly surprising, league can go eff itself.

kftx.jpg

#872 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

league can go eff itself.

I think it just did.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#873 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:05 PM

I think it just did.

Laughing out loud I think so too.

Wonder why NBC hasn't put some pressure into getting a FAIR deal done? They've paid the NHL millions of $ and yet they aren't getting anything out of it t his season.

kftx.jpg

#874 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:21 PM

Laughing out loud I think so too.

Wonder why NBC hasn't put some pressure into getting a FAIR deal done? They've paid the NHL millions of $ and yet they aren't getting anything out of it t his season.

How does it work? Would every lost broadcast just be an unequivocal disaster (i.e. total loss, total waste of money) for NBC? Or is there some kind of, I dunno, escape clause or something?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#875 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,015 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:24 PM

How does it work? Would every lost broadcast just be an unequivocal disaster (i.e. total loss, total waste of money) for NBC? Or is there some kind of, I dunno, escape clause or something?

Doesn't sound like there is, but I'm not sure.

Everything I've read makes it sound like the owners get paid $200 million from NBC even if there is no hockey.

http://www.mlive.com...ive_200_mi.html

#876 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:29 PM

Everything I've read makes it sound like the owners get paid $200 million from NBC even if there is no hockey.

That just doesn't make sense to me

#877 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

That just doesn't make sense to me

Sam here I mean what is the point of paying 200 m but not receiving anything? I think there must be some 'out-clauses' or stuff like that otherwhise it would be completely bogus.

kftx.jpg

#878 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

Which would give the owners even more leverage during the lockout.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#879 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

Methinks there was a "special clause" addressed when the League and NBC entered into their most recent contract, dealing with the "possibility" of a lockout. Might make for a nice case of collusion.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#880 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

I was going to watch Grand Rapids anyway.

At least now it won't be just me and Newfy watching it on redwingslive!...hopefully

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights