• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ogreslayer

2012 Lockout Watch

Rate this topic

I am assuming you are talking about the NBC Sports Network? Hell, they should be covering it.

Nope, NBC; the BIG network that Uncle Gary was so happy to crow about when the deal was signed for NHL coverage. The same network that, in the blink of an eye, gave back the League two-hundred million dollars. You don't think they weren't tipped off about the ensuing lockout, do you?

Also:

tiny_sn.jpg COUNTDOWN TO SHUTDOWN: Catch a special one-hour edition of HOCKEY CENTRAL to get the latest NHL lockout news in the final hours before the current CBA expires. Tune in Friday at 9:00 p.m. ET / 6:00 p.m. PT on Sportsnet ONE and sportsnet.ca and at 11:00 p.m. ET on Sportsnet East and Ontario.

Then, I assume, you believe we'll never see NHL again?

Once lockout starts there is a building financial pressure on both sides. Players not getting paid. Owners losing money due to lack of revenue and possibly declining value of the teams. Eventually immediate need of money will overcome long term desire for more money and deal would be reached. Or not, NHL will die, some other league will get started. But as long as there are people willing to pay money to watch hockey somebody will find a way to charge for it.

Then, I assume, you believe we'll never see NHL again?

If you think the new season will eventually starts, let assume for the sake of arguments, it starts on Jan 1st, 2013, 3 mouths lockout. That would mean positions had been reconciled sometimes between now and Jan 1st, 2013, i.e. with in aprx. 6 month from the begimming of the talks.

Now lets assume talks would have started the week following All-Start break...

I'm not saying all issues will definetly be resolved before Oct 6, but the probapility of it, is a way better then it is now.

Willingness to compromise changes when most of the parties involved are missing out on paychecks. It's not just a matter of talking about it until you reach an agreement.

I am actually looking forward to the lockout now. I figure since I am not going to spend money on going to NHL games for the length of the next CBA, that will come to about 8 games per year at $150 per game for 2 tickets. I stand to save at least $1200 a year plus parking, drive time, food, and so on. Screw these greedy morons. The most I will watch will be on TV.

Willingness to compromise changes when most of the parties involved are missing out on paychecks. It's not just a matter of talking about it until you reach an agreement.

True, but thats not the case here.

The players are the only ones that will be missing paychecks. The owners are billionaires whose main income sources come from elsewhere. Some owners will actually be saving money from the lockout. The owners will keep the players locked out until the players cave. And unfortunately without their main, or in most cases, only source of income, the players will do just that, cave.

Edited by sleepwalker

Owners vote unanimously to lock the players out if there's not a new deal by Saturday.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405196

So much for the rich franchises doing well under the existing CBA. I suppose they are tired of paying for the small franchises and foolish owners. The ownership is rife with greed and inflexibility. The players a bit less so, but still greedy.

To add salt to my wounds: "Your Detroit Red Wings season tickets have shipped"

Did the Wings force you to pay for your tickets?

In Chicago, they forced everyone who bought season tickets to put half their money down already. According to letters, they will reimburse people each week that goes by and the games aren't used. Gotta love those 0% interest loans. :P

Once lockout starts there is a building financial pressure on both sides. Players not getting paid. Owners losing money due to lack of revenue and possibly declining value of the teams. Eventually immediate need of money will overcome long term desire for more money and deal would be reached. Or not, NHL will die, some other league will get started. But as long as there are people willing to pay money to watch hockey somebody will find a way to charge for it.

True, but these parties involved are not 5 year old kids, they are capable (should be) to anticipate consequences well before these occure.

What's with Uncle Gary's infatuation with trying to be on the same level as the NFL and the NBA?

It was funny when he called out the media for twisting his words about the "final offer".

In 2004 he was saying comparison to other leagues wasn't really relevant because the sports are so different.

Now that the percentage of players salary in those leagues works in his favor, funny how he's changed his tune.

It would be kind of fun of a rival hockey league started up, but in today's world in every industry and field from cars to politics to sports, the status quo reigns supreme, no matter what. No one would succeed at rocking that boat.

And it's nice of the NHL to post on their website today that they are willing to negotiate. With two days left. Nothing like good old fashioned brinksmanship. Apparently the only way deals get done in America these days.

Guest Johnz96

It would be kind of fun of a rival hockey league started up, but in today's world in every industry and field from cars to politics to sports, the status quo reigns supreme, no matter what. No one would succeed at rocking that boat.

And it's nice of the NHL to post on their website today that they are willing to negotiate. With two days left. Nothing like good old fashioned brinksmanship. Apparently the only way deals get done in America these days.

I think because the fans and players hate Bettman so much a rival league would have a better chance than otherwise

Hell, both sides are "willing to negotiate". Except that both sides aren't willing to concede anything. NHL wants their rollback. Players want their 57%. So lockout here we come.